Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it get bought ?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes. Finalised today.
I won't drive it until after winter though. It will get a recomision to streetable condition.
All fluids, plugs, filters, some body parts, brake pads/discs, tires.....

About that, I am now actively looking for:

-rear bumper,
-rear parcel shelf with 3 point belt provision
-1 rear 3 point seatbelt

Any leads?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over here

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ame-shrek.html
Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Why would it need a top end job?
Not saying it will, just that it might. 140k with little history and stored for a long period. Always a possibility. If it tests out ok or is factored in to price then no worries. Hope it turns out to run like a sweet six should.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience with a car that sat for a long time was that it leaked from everywhere. I drove it hard for a few weeks and now it leaks from almost nowhere. So - if you can get this "tarp find" into a drivable condition before any major top end or P&C work - I'd just drive it for a bit - let the seals swell up and see how it goes.

Great find and a consumately honourable endeavour. Well done and good luck!

Keep us posted.

RK
Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gchristofi
Not saying it will, just that it might. 140k with little history and stored for a long period. Always a possibility. If it tests out ok or is factored in to price then no worries. Hope it turns out to run like a sweet six should.
Who said there is no history?
There is a full Porsche dealer history. It did not rack up unaccounted mileage while under the tarp.

That said I am not stupid enough to think I got the deal of the century. I will drive it, and see how it goes. If it needs work/body work/engine work/electric work, I'll do it. The journey is the destination. And I am pretty sure it will end up costing as much as a sorted example; but I'll have fun while working on it.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
Who said there is no history?
There is a full Porsche dealer history. It did not rack up unaccounted mileage while under the tarp.

That said I am not stupid enough to think I got the deal of the century. I will drive it, and see how it goes. If it needs work/body work/engine work/electric work, I'll do it. The journey is the destination. And I am pretty sure it will end up costing as much as a sorted example; but I'll have fun while working on it.
Hi George. My mistake, it's just that there was no mention of history in the thread so far so I made an incorrect assumption. How long was your car stored for?

Sounds like a fantastic and exciting project and look forward to seeing the results.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<sorry - late to the party - I realize you bought the car, but this is sill worth a check, as is a safety issue>
If your mechanic has a Hammer tool, be sure to bleed the PDAS locks, as the fluid is going to be very old, and you'll want to ensure that the work correctly and don't leak. You might want to read up on the PDAS system, either by searching here, or looking up Adrian Streather's book on the 964. You may already know this but the C4 braking system is different than even the C2, with an electric pump that creates high hydraulic pressure. This is used for both the brakes, and the PDAS system.

The pump and accumulator block, and the "bomb" that works as a pressure reservoir takes some different handling/bleeding. Also the brake pump is very expensive... so be sure that you feel okay with that setup in your inspection process.

I love my C4.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advise. I am aware that the PDAS and the brake system require specific bleeding procedures.
My mechanic does not have a hammer, which is very unfortunate.
Where can I buy one? It seems the lead in the UK is gone. I'd buy one that can perform all the maintenance/diagnostic procedures.
Any info?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

George I was chatting to some guys at the track the other day and they said that the Hammer is old school and you can buy/make looms and software to do the same and more. I havent done the searching on this yet but thought I would pass on the comment.

The last hammer sold on ebay went for £1400+
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Hi Jevvy,
Might be obsolete, but should be enough for a 964 (?).
That said, if you have any viable alternatives (diagnostic and maintenance procedures), I am all ears.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bell housing is different than other 964's. Check clutch prices!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine had been sitored inside for a year when I bought it. No apparent problems after 3 years.

After owning 3 mid 70's cars, I can highly recommend the power and "stick" of the AWD. You never worry in the rain like you do with a 2.7 or 3.0L.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

I got back to the car today. Ohboy, what a project. Scrapes everywhere, lenses that have won a "crack-a-thon", discs fused to the pads, the lot.
I love the car more every day. It will be a fun project to try stuff on!

Yes I know what I have gotten myself into: a challenging and fun way to get back in to Porsches. I had 5 already, some very rare, some very fast.

BTW, I now need a rear bumper beam as well, and the hardware.... Anyone?

Quick Reply: About to buy '89 C4, early production