Sponsored by:

About to buy '89 C4, early production

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:19 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default About to buy '89 C4, early production

I am pondering buying an early C4, frst registered july 1989. Chassis number KS401717. about 140K miles
The car has no sunroof, AC, full leather including door panels and dashboard.
The deal is it has not been used in a long time, and has been stored outside proected fom rain for quite a few years. I might get a good deal on it, and have it brought up meachanically, then tackle the cosmetics myself as I drive and the car confirms being a good candidate for long-term keeping.

Questions:

-Besides the obvious fuel/brake/AC/tires and all fluids R&R, what should I expect problem-wise in a car that has not been used for so long. I am pretty good with electrics and realise that there will be corrosion in a lot of places.

-How frequent/rare is a non-sunroof car

-How frequent/rare is full leather, dash top included (in surprisingly good condition)?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are wonderful cars - I loved my early C4 and miss it dearly.

Hard to speculate on the condition. Is it in Switzerland? I'm guessing they are pretty harsh conditions to keep a 964 outside when not being driven? I would recommend just getting a PPI done and knowing all you can reasonably know before considering this car. A cheap 964 could be the most expensive car you ever buy.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rust in the cylinders .
Rust in the brake / clutch hydraulics .

I have an 89 , they are the best .
Old 08-01-2009, 01:58 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

The car is in switzerland, and with my mechanic as we speak. He is not worried about pistons/cylinders. Brake MC and flex lines are on the list to be changed.
I am more worried about the servo-motors in the heating/AC, the ABS/4wheel drive sensors, warning lights. Will these things go bad from non-use or do I have a reasonable chance that a thorough cleaning of the connections/grounds will have them working as they should?

Full leather, rare? no sunroof? I know I want a non-sunroof car, I wonder what my chances are of finding another if I pass this one. I also like the non-airbags.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Full Leather, no sunroof are fairly rare and I 'expect' it would be difficult to find similar in a hurry. None of the '89's had airbags. As long as you are having it properly examined, don't overpay and know what you are getting into, it sounds like fun. Good luck, Can't wait to see pics!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 89 C4! They are very hardy cars. I also have all leather and have seen it in a few others, but I do have a sun roof, don't know on that one. I would think that a good PPI would bring up any issues, shouldn't be horribly expensive.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:15 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

MC is far from cheap in these cars
Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

A car like this is a gamble is some respects, however if you do due diligence with a quality inspection and are willing to deal with many niggling issues then this car may be a very good purchase if the price meets your liking. Personally I like tinkering with the cars so as long as a trusted expert gave it a thumbs up for general mechanical integrity I would most likely purchase it if the price was right. There is no doubt that you'll have numerous DIY opportunities in which to learn the car.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:47 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

I have a 1989 C4. I have had it for 9 months. It has 80K miles. the engine is very smooth. I love the raw feel of the car. It sticks to the road like glue. I had a few electrical gremlins that I have finally worked out. therwise the car is great. How long did you have your car 89C4. I am hoping to keep it for a long time.. Hopefully as long as I keep it up it should run fro a good long time. I have heard some people say that the AWD systems can fail at 150K but I know a number of people who disagree with this as long as the fluids are changed when needed. What are your thoughts on this issue? Thanks Cons
Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can only think of one awd failure here on the board, its my understanding they are fairly bulletproof...
Old 08-02-2009, 04:27 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

The car is *rough*. Being stored under 2 tarpaulins for so many years has not been kind to the cosmetics. Dull paint, dented front lid (I have an alloy spare), torn sills. Surprisingly dry inside, only very, very dirty. It is actually no-one's fault, as it was due for dismantling/racing originally, being a no-sunroof, never crashed, rust-free, high mileage, cosmetically challenged example.
This is why I am enquiring about the real no-nos that would stop me from buying it.

It is definitely not the kind anyone would look twice at, rather run away. It is what appeals to me. Get it for real cheap and work my way upwards, as it checks out mechanically. I've had my share of good/rare/expensive Porsches and want to try something different for once.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 515 Posts

With a car stored this long, you will need to change the gas as it has most likely turned to varnish after all of this time.

Just have a look at what similar cars would cost in good condition and establish your repair budget from that. Then judge whether the budget is realistic. Since you're prepared to look at a US car, you might also look at pricing up a US import (CA or AZ), incl. shipping which is attractive at the current exchange rate.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Fuel tank is gone and a replacement is included with the car.
The point of the whole deal is *this* car. I can go out and buy any other 964, but the interest for me is making that one nice. I was not after a 964 (or any car) a this present time, but the opportunity presented itself.
I will only proceed if I can get it for max. 60% of the going rate for these cars with that mileage, considering all the cosmetic work needed.
I still have a bunch of lwt/race parts that will fit a 964 perfectly, hence I am not looking for a 993 or earlier model.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:34 AM
ian89C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say go with your gut feeling. If you have to basically start from 50-60% with the car, but you want to, then go for it. There is no question that it will be expensive, but it looks like you have some of the parts and will for it. I also love tinkering with the car, it allows me to concentrate on one thing and get more intimate with the girl.
I also have a soft spot for hard up old sports cars (my wife keeps a constant eye on me when I pass junk yards or looking on craigslist)
As far as value, I was able to work my 89 C4 (at the time 68000 miles and very clean, no PPI issues came up) down to 23K USD. You should be able to pay substantailly less for this car in this condition.

Good luck, send some pics.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it .
The car needs you .
You are the right person .

Quick Reply: About to buy '89 C4, early production