Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather Venting, weight reduction and other ramblings.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robh
Door cards - made my own with thin plyboard, some black pvc leatherette stuff, some red strapping for the pulls and openers and original black plastic bits. Reckon they cost about £30 for both and about 6 man hours.
jeebers, thought you said you were no good at DIY !! ? Got any pics? Wish i could do things like that
Dont suppose you want to make another set ? The prices quoted for RS door panels are crazy considering how little is involved in making them.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

thats all i did too.

I have the templates for the rennline track mats - its a job on my list!

got the centre console out at the moment, i need to get it flocked and reinstalled.

along with the lower dash!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Iam more than happy to help u if u need a little guidance, just get ur *** to manchester and me and r kid will create you sum plastic track mats.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 PM
964rh
Pro

Try Appbiz Mark, he was advertising a die cut set without coverings on here the other day for a decent price. Covering them is a pop, spray loads of glue on panels and plonk the pvc on top, fold over and glue or staple down, cut out holes and job done. That easy even I did it without swearing to much!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by demonfish
thats all i did too.

I have the templates for the rennline track mats - its a job on my list!

got the centre console out at the moment, i need to get it flocked and reinstalled.

along with the lower dash!
I feel sorry for that bath of yours!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

hehe

its only a bit of dust - just swills off!!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:32 AM
james944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark J
They use a 1/2 inch thick horsehair underlay which is light and does the job for even-ing out the floor pan.
I don't know a whole lot about this, but I'd be worried about using horsehair or anything like it as an underlay. I wouldn't want anything that could hold moisture. From what I understand the factory used horsehair and tar as sound insulation in the early cars, and now people are ripping it out to stop or keep their cars from rusting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/4555655-post4.html

I know our cars are galvanized, but why encourage the potential hassle.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

thats a very valid point well made James, thanks. I will ask them for alternative underlay, that was just one he mentioned because they use it on a lot of classic cars apparently. I assumed it would be sealed with an outer plastic liner ?

And cheers Rob, will look out for that Appbiz offer.

Thanks also to Russ for the great gesture. Will see what happens with the potential carpet strip out first but may well take you up on that later !
Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WHO was it someone said had the "instructions" on how to install the APPBIZ carpets?? I just bought the RS kit and got it the other day...I can figure out about EIGHT pieces of it, the rest are almost a complete mystery!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeff,

If Thomas comes along he has pics and instructions that he sent me via Email, if it's ok I could mail you those.........................If I can find them..............PM me if My Memory proves erratic.

Kevin

P.S. its 03:00 here, I can't sleep & so may just slip my mind when I wake properly
Old 03-24-2009, 12:24 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by demonfish

Strut Brace on the bath, now that's Hardcore.

Kevin
Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 AM
964rh
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
WHO was it someone said had the "instructions" on how to install the APPBIZ carpets?? I just bought the RS kit and got it the other day...I can figure out about EIGHT pieces of it, the rest are almost a complete mystery!
Jeff, I had two pieces left over at the end of the install, couldn't for the life of me figure out where they went?!?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Jeff, i recently got those instruction and photo emails from Thomas. If you need them pm me and will send on to you.

Rob...you were going to send me your template measurements for the ply trackmat panels
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 AM
964rh
Pro

I was...

Sorry, took all day Saturday/Sunday to wet clean the interior of the new daily sh1tter.

I'll grab them out this week and pop them in the post for you.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, the pics from Thomas are the SHIZNITT!!

VERY VERY helpful, I have this planned for a week or so from now as I'm leaving for the track on Thursday...NO carpet.

I got about 300lbs out of the car in the last few months, it's been a journey...no carbon fiber or replacement fiberglass though.

RobConn, you said the radio block-off plate is still available, "If it fits your taste" - what did you mean by that comment?? ...is it UGLY?? I want to order one or make something as it will hide all that UGLY wiring you can see directly THRU the dash!

As for the Rennline track mats, I highly recommend them but mine came with a pair of gremlins that have "screw magnets" - I couldn't possibly count how many times in the last few weeks I've dropped a screw and DOWN they go, over to the edge of the track mats and GONE, underneath...I've had to remove the driver's side three times in the last week or so to recover a damn screw!

Quick Reply: Breather Venting, weight reduction and other ramblings.