Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather Venting, weight reduction and other ramblings.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some nice pics of the track mats in Marc Shaw's thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-step-one.html

As you can see from the pics in that thread both footwells are uneven.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You really need something solid under your feet, especially under your heels when driving, in my experience. The track mats are ideal for this:

http://www.rennline.com/Track-Mats/products/172/

In the mean time I laid light weight foam pads (like the stuff you get for kneeling pads when gardening) in the wells and then cut some plywood to lay on top. At some point I'll treat my car to some of the Rennline track mats which bolt direct to the floor plan, remvoing the need for any extra weight underneath.
Would the rennline mats fit a right hooker ?

Cheers.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark J
any particular ply thickness? Spraying blacks a good idea...had visions of a naff bit of wood ply in my footwells I take it you get the velcro strips from a decent haberdashery place? (girls shop)

Do you need to do the same for the passenger footwell or is that reasonably level ?

Rob, on your post you linked to about stripping out the interior and re-carpetting from Apbiz?, you mention having a set of pics on 'how to'..any chance you could email them to me?
cheers
Only sprayed black cause I had some spray left, I glued down the mats to the ply as well so they come out as one.
Think the original cup cars just had plain old ply!!
Think I used 6mm ply, velcro strips I nicked (sorry have on loan) from work, it's not the really strong stuff, just enough to hold in place. Used about 12" into total, may even still have some if you go down that route.

Did the same for the passenger footwell as well but it's more level than the drivers side, I had my alarm wiring going through it so put a board in.

I did have the pics but lost them when my hard drive decided to give it up. If you PM thomasc2, he may be able to send to you (he supplied them to me)

Rob
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Talat
Would the rennline mats fit a right hooker ?

Cheers.
I don't see why not seeing as the floor pan is the same. Obviously in our case we're putting the passenger mat in the drivers footwell and therefore we might have to trim the leading edge a little to accomodate the pedal board. I wonder how many sets Rob could bring back with him?

But seriously, I've found Rennline shipping costs to the UK very reasonable - I bought the engine carrier gusset plate from them. The track mats are next on my list
Old 03-18-2009, 02:48 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I made my own track mats from pvc sheets, and sum plastic glue.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

better still, can you make us some ?

i took a peek at the soundproofing in the front footwells today, its bonkers they put so much in ! Its about 2inches thick ! I resisted the urge to rip it all out as much as i wanted too.
Did you just cut the ply to suit the profile of the removal chunk of s/proofing...or is it more technical than that? Apologies for all these questions, DIY isnt my strong point
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
964rh
Pro

DIY not one of my strong points either Mark, but I do try and make an effort on the 964 and not do the usual f**k it, it'll do that I do in the house, garden etc.

Made a cardboard template roughly measured from the mat and added and trimmed till it fitted. Drew round this on the ply and cut out (still had all 10 digits afterwards as well). Did the same for the pass. side.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

cheers Rob, have pm'd you for the templates.

Going to embark on painting my calipers today in a tasty racing red to contrast the black coachwork.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 AM
964rh
Pro

Have fun with that, hated doing mine.

All that prep and 5 coats of paint brushed on, looked good afterwards though
Old 03-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Might just have got a result. Had a trim fitter turn up this morn to replace a plastic screen on the missus' MG and got talking about trim...hey presto, they fit interiors and have done several 911's in the past !. We took a look in mine and had a chat, he is going to work out some prices for me for complete strip out and replace with lightweight carpets. They use a 1/2 inch thick horsehair underlay which is light and does the job for even-ing out the floor pan. They seem a proper old school bunch and are local so would expect a good job.
Will see what they say and more importantly ...how much !

One other thing i forgot to ask. How much does the noise level inside the car increase with all this soundproofing taken out? Personally the rawer sound the better for me, being a motorsport petrol head, but reality is i need to keep it semi sensible for touring with the missus. I take it there is a considerable increase in transmission whine and engine howl ?

Last edited by Mark J; 03-19-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

The fitter brought me back some samples of the carpet. Very lightweight, he said they fitted the lightest weight to numerous race cars. He's going to come back to me with the price and hours required for the job. Lets hope its sensible.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM
964rh
Pro

To be honest, the noise in mine inside is not that bad.

OllieW has taken out his engine soundproofing in his RS and I believe it's an earplugs case
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Rob, do you know what grade your carpet is that you used? ie does it have a nylon/wool percentage on the invoice or anything like that? Or does anyone know what the RS carpet grade is?

Just thinking that although i thought 'yeah great' to the very lightweight sample the fitter brought me, i wonder if its too cheapy and or nylon, though he did say they use it in the aircraft industy as well as race cars so should be fine ? I guess i could ask him to show me some more expensive-quality options depending on his fitting price.

Have you guys gone for the RS door panels as well? They look pretty cool and i am guessing weigh a lot less than the carpeted door-pocket skins fitted as stock !
Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
964rh
Pro

No idea on the carpet grade, its light though and doesn't look that bad, not as good as the original stuff though.
Door cards - made my own with thin plyboard, some black pvc leatherette stuff, some red strapping for the pulls and openers and original black plastic bits. Reckon they cost about £30 for both and about 6 man hours.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did like Rob said, drew round the foam mat thing onto a sheet of pvc (stolen from my brothers van).
Cut the shape out with a jig saw, then used thin strips of the same pvc to pack up the board so it sits flat, they fit perfectly and cost nothing to make.

Quick Reply: Breather Venting, weight reduction and other ramblings.