Sponsored by:

Snow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 AM
lunchboxbill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow...

I often get asked the question, why did you get a C4 over a C2?

There was no real reason, the car I decided upon happened to be a C4. The disadvantages of the 4 wheel drive was weighed up against the fact that this is my first powerful car (my most powerful motor before this was a civic type R) and the 4 wheel drive should ease me gently into 250bhp ownership.

Well, after the weather this week, all I can say is thank god for the C4!! I usually only drive in the 964 to work on a Friday, but this week I chosen it every day over my VW Golf.

She's is in dire need of a good wash, and the amount of salt on the road won't have done her much good, but my oh my, it's actually been fun driving in to work in all the snow!

Anybody had theirs out in the snow lately?

I'm sure over in countries where you are used to snow, entire cities don't come to a grinding halt just because of a couple of inches of the white stuff, as happened with London on Monday.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 AM
oth
AutoX

Here in Norway we think it is funny hearing about the problems with "a litle snow". Where I live we now have about 50 cm of snow, and many days -25 celcius. - No problem!
I must admit that most Porsche drivers store their cars inside most of the winter, but some drive it daily with a big smile..
That said, I must admit that most of us Porsche drivers here close to the north-pole envy you people living closer to the sun and warmth.
Waiting for the spring.....
Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
ScottR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oth
Where I live we now have about 50 cm of snow, and many days -25 celcius. - No problem!

That's the problem - we don't get often enough or long enough (oo'errrr!!) to justify the outlay on infrastructure that doesn't grins to a halt!

Anyway - I love the fact that the country stops - means I am forced to stay at home and have snowball fights with the kids - much better than work!!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I drive my C4 year round here in New York and find it very capable in the snow. I do run with top quality snow tires, though, and that makes a world of difference. It is actually fun! Happy to see you enjoying your car. Cheers!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I drive my C4 year round here in New York and find it very capable in the snow. I do run with top quality snow tires, though, and that makes a world of difference. It is actually fun! Happy to see you enjoying your car. Cheers!

We don't get as much snow as NY, but we have had a bit this year. Car is great, but the snows I have on it are getting a little tired, so they will be getting replaced next year. And I love the fact that the heat is on almost the second you start the car.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
And I love the fact that the heat is on almost the second you start the car.
My wife is most envious of the heat in the C4. My heat is truly functional by the time I reach the end of my street (~ 1/4 mile). My wife's Suburban can go all the way to school and back before the heat begins to come in.

Other accolades: I drove with my wife through 2-4 inches of unplowed snow a couple of weeks ago. On one particular turn I didn't slow quite enough for her liking. I powered right through it with a slight 4-wheel drift. The traction control was doing it's part and it felt, to her, like dry pavement. She was very impressed and said so. Multiple times. Even days later. I was a real "Ah ha!" moment for her. It put a big smile on my face.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:27 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Every day I drive in the snow from basically November through April. I run 16s in the winter so I can put on narrower snow tires. The true test of a good snow car is not will it ever break traction but how fast you can snap it back when it does. The C4 can always be counted on to behave the same way each time and will snap back into control just when you want.
Have fun and enjoy
Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I have C4 envy when winter sets in.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

I've got a C2, but it doesn't stop me from driving in the snow. Mostly because its my only car. And yes, I live in New England.

I haven't had any real problems even when theres some ice on the roads. It gets covered with salt and sand every week during the winter, but as soon as the temperature gets above freezing, I rinse it all off. The only issue I have is clearance. Gotta be careful in parking lots and such, because a good chunk of ice can give your front bumper a nice "smile".

Also, low profile tires aren't an option.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
lapu01
Advanced

I do drive my C2 on and off during winter - though we haven't seen snow here the last couple of winters. I think the key is to have good winter tires and take it a bit more easy RPM wise. Nothing beats driving with the top down on a crisp clear winter morning, as long as you are dressed accordingly....
Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Stevedicko47
Track Day

I put my C4 away and get the Discovery 3 out, and press the snow button
Old 02-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That little switch on the console can be priceless!

Quick Reply: Snow...