Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good price or "too" good a price??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 AM
964bx_44
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good price or "too" good a price??

Hey all. I am a potential new '89 964 C4 owner but, I am new to the Porsche scene. There is a '89 964 C4 being sold at a dealership near me. Its got 91,000 miles on it but, has been serviced regularly. I went and checked it out and it seemed ok but, I don't know exactly what to look for. The guy is asking $11,995 for it. It seems like a great deal even for the mileage but, I am not sure if I would be getting into something that will only lead to lots of problems. I plan on doing a few maintenance things to it to freshen it up but, don't want to have to drop big for a rebuild or replacement motor so soon. Any advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

Hector
Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Don't hang yourself from the first tree...

Hector,

Take your time. Don't fall in love with your first 964... There are a lot of them out there, and there is LOTS of information here and elsewhere on how to buy one. Also, the market is a little soft for them now, so there are a few to choose from if you can afford to take your time.

$11,995 just might be a good price, but not knowing what to look for is your major risk point here...

There is a theory (much debated) that every Porsche is a $25,000 car. This can be interpreted that even if you buy one for $11,995, you will end up spending the balance to get it where you want it. I spent a small amount ($14,500) for one with much higher mileage... and I have spent some money on additions... I feel good about my purchase, but your experience may vary.

Here are a few things to do:
Get your hands on a copy of Adrian Streathers 964 companion book (amazon etc) and take the time to really read it. It will give you a lot of ideas on what to look for, and how the major systems work on the car.
Search here for buying advice. Search for: "pre purchase inspection" or "PPI", "Leakdown" or "compression",
Look at the classifieds here and elsewhere, and you will get an idea of prices.

Finally, people here will be very helpful with opinions. Ask this dealer if he will agree to a third-party PPI, (somebody ELSE, outside the dealership). Members here can point you to a good shop in your area. Be prepared to spend $250 or so for a comprehensive inspection. If the dealer balks... just walk away. You don't need that car that badly. The engines are very good, and reliable on these cars, but if they are abused or not maintained properly you could be looking at rebuilds costing over $6K. (that is a conservative number)

Also, taking some time will help you decide if you want a C2 or C4... Otherwise most features are pretty common. (Don't fall for that whole "red" line... Black is by far the best color... except for that crazy mint green they did during the 90s...)

Ask for advice here. We're happy to help answer good questions. Pictures help a lot too.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
964bx_44
AutoX

tbennet thanx for the info. Is the 964 companion book by Adrian Streathers the best one out there?? I have seen quite a few out there for 964. as far as pics go ill provide the link to the car:

http://www.citylightsautos.com/Deale...c9L5K93qFzc%3d
Old 01-16-2009, 11:26 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

No need to rush into the deal. There is a good mechanic in Ct. Dan Jacobs. I haven't used him for my own but he's always been a help to me at the track and I've had a number of good interactions with him.
Here's his website...http://www.hairydoggrrrage.com/. He may also know the car or know somebody who does. That would be your best bet - to find out who owned and who knows the car's history. With a Porsche, you can usually track down somebody who knows something about it...
IF you are in NY State (upstate) call my friend/Mechanic at CIM Motorsport - Rick Modlinski http://www.cimmotorsports.net/
Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Adrian Streather does a good job of explaining the systems of the car in good layman's terms. It helped me a lot, and is a good favorite among the crowd here.

It helps seeing the car... a C4 is an AWD vehicle, so it will likely be more drivable in the NE winters etc, though be advised that the 89 C4 has some small differences from the later years. (I am not sure what... but they are listed here, or another expert might jump in here)

The wheels are non-standard, FWIW... just makes me wonder about the history of the car.

I would keep up the research, and you will be happier for it. I bet the car will be there in a week. :-)
Old 01-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hector, That car has been for sale for awhile and together with the low asking price I'm guessing the car has issues. As others have advised do not buy this car without having a PPI performed-you could easily spend the asking price on a rebuild and other repairs. Dan Jacobs is great, there is also another shop in West Haven (10 min away) that advertises in the PCA CT Valley newsletter. Send me a PM or reply to my post and I can find the name of the shop for you. Also I am only 15 min away from New Haven so I could put another set of eyes on it if you want.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 AM
964bx_44
AutoX

Thanx for all the info and insight. I went to barnes and noble today to get the companion book but, they only had another buyers guide so I got it as a substitution until I get the other one. Greg964 thats good to know and that would be really cool if you could do that. When I started it, it was making some sort of scraping noise coming from inside the oil filter. It was really cold out so it could of been that the oil was cold and on the bottom of the pan. Also a few lights were on in the dashboard but, they all disappeared when I drove it. After some research if I go back I will definitely take the car to that shop. I have a feeling it is not going anywhere for a while anyway. I've been contemplating possibly selling my everyday car and buying a newer 911, 996 or 997 maybe but, im not too sure yet. I love my everyday car but, I do LOVE 911s.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the shop in West Haven:

International Motor Sport LLC
-Tony Bisceglia's Garage-
1123 Orange Ave.
West Haven, CT 06516
203-937-9951

The ad says over 30 years experience.

I will try to take a look at it early next week.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:12 AM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Also, looking at the engine photos it doesn't seem to have a distrubutor vent pipe fitted so may be missing a few other "routine" maintenence things....tread carefully.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

You'd likely be WAAAY better off with this one as a starter car...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...c4-fs-15k.html
Old 01-18-2009, 01:32 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbennett017
You'd likely be WAAAY better off with this one as a starter car...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...c4-fs-15k.html
I think I agree. Honestly, those are the kind of write-ups I appreciate; on the level...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
964bx_44
AutoX

Thanx again for everybody's input. I will send that guy an e-mail and see if we can set up a meet so I can check out the car and discuss numbers. The guy at the dealership was giving me bad vibes anyway.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't rule out the white one that quickly. Prices are all over the place in this market. The Carfax looks like the guy bought it at auction. These cars do end up there once in a while. If it looks straight and clean, it might actually be decent.
Some of these cars have been owned over the years by people who love to wrench on them, fiddle with them, mod things, etc.; others have been owned by people who simply kept them in the garage, drove them once in a while, and did the required maintenance. I bought one of those types and it's been great. I wouldn't say one type is better than the other.

An '89 won't have the pesky airbag system problem many of us know and love The BBS wheels are a throwback to another time - in the '80's, many people thought they were the shiznit.

I would separate the emotion about the seller from the car. I've bought some good cars from people I didn't particularly care for.

PPI that sucker!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
964bx_44
AutoX

Well I havent ruled out the white one just yet. I will be going to see if he agrees to a ppi if he doesnt then I'll walk away. Ive taken the advice of a few people on this forum and take my time. I will not rush it. I am also considering different models, 993, 996, and 997's. The latters I would have to sell my everyday car but, I am considering it though. Although I do enjoy the utility of my everyday car. It would have to be a really good test drive to convince me to sell my car because my car is kinda fast... It makes 500hp so its kind of fun to drive. I personally think only the 997 turbo would suffice but, I would have to sell more than just my car for that. My first born and a kidney probably!! lol hahaha
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Well NOW you've done it...

If you want to get into a debate about Porsche model... I think you might find a difference of opinion between air-cooled (911-964-993) and water-cooled(the others...)

They all have a different feel. The later years feel more "refined" but also might lack some of the primary character that made the 911 unique. I like the air-cooled cars for the sound, and the repair options. (I can do almost everything myself, (and the good help of RL)

Your mileage may vary (wildly)

Quick Reply: Is this a good price or "too" good a price??