Sponsored by:

89 C4 FS 15K

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 89 C4 FS 15K

Please contact me at JohnScaramella@gmail.com with any questions not via the rennlist PM system ( I will get those but it will take me longer to respond)

89 C4 in Slate grey with black RS interior.

I purchased the car over the summer from the owner of a local Porsche repair center. My intentions were to use it as a daily driver, as he has for the last 7 years. But as always I buy a car, get it really clean, do some nice modifications and then do not want to get it dirty or drive it everyday. Since I have a few other cars this has become an impractical idea so I’d like to offer it here.

Motor was out at 100K for clutch, some seals and over all maintenance. The car has always been a DD so it does not have a perfect paint job by any means, but it’s mechanically sound. Would I repaint it? No, but if you want a garage queen buy another car, it has some spray on the nose, and few small scratches, in my opinion it’s the type of car that you won’t cry over if you get a stone chip here or there.

I converted the once linen interior with an RS carpet kit, door panels and rear qtrs in black. At that time I installed a new Alpine CD player with IPOD connection in the glove box w/ all new speakers, added a Momo ball shifter and steering wheel. Did a valve adjustment, changed all filters, changed the motor mounts, changed all spark plugs and drove it 3500 miles from June to November with no issues. Mileage is now at 134,000. I have followed the DIY article hear and also cleaned the PADS sensors. I have gotten the lights one once or twice but noticed that it was only during extreme braking, it’s not a daily issue by any means. The car does have some additional upgrades; B&B header and muffler system, big black brakes from a 1995 993, and an auto-authority chip (I have the original)

What it needs; new rotors F&R (I have a new set of pads for the front and rear that will go with the car), front oil cooler has a slight weep. I removed the inner fender well to check it out, it’s not the main oil line hoses or hard crimp ends the leak seems to be coming from the other side. You would have to remove the oil cooler and check it out. It hasn’t bothered me since it’s literally the size of a quarter after a week.
The engine sheet metal (attached to the motor) has some rust holes in it. Other than that I have covered every inch of the car and found no rust. Smart racing makes replacement engine tin in fiber glass which is what I would have used. The suspension is original but not completely beat up, the car drives very well, and is tight. A few weeks after I picked up the car I was invited to attend an Aston Martin car club event as an instructor at the New Jersey motors sports park. I was able to drive the car on the track in between their runs and it performed very well. Making this into a DE car would also be ideal for a 1st time 911 drivers.

I’m asking 15K and will accept your reasonable offers. While Bruce Anderson rates an 89 C4 in so-so condition in the 15K range I do not feel this car is so-so, rather a very good daily driver or excellent DE candidate. However given the market and that I got a good deal on the car I’m not out to make money on the car, just see it go to someone who will use it. I have no issues with a PPI at the buyer’s expense.
Attached Images   
Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking car you should show some pictures of the interior.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Thanks
I will plan to get some up soon, I'm traveling until mid week.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

More photos. After pulling it in and out of the garage for the photos... I said to myself just keep it! A common problem with these cars
Attached Images            
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John - do you have the rear seats still? Also, if possible can you post a pic of the rust holes in the engine sheet metal. Would like to see how extensive it is and if its an immediate must do or can wait item.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

I do have the seats, same color, but remember they would need to have the carpet replaced. The engine sheet metal is the debris barrier, about 1/8" metal. The PO drove the car a winter here or there and the salt ate few quarter size holes. It's not a need to fix item IMO, To remove and replace them would only be at the time you remove the engine.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Still FS, losing my parking spot in March; a few lookers have been by.

Will be back on the road once the salt passes, oh well
Old 02-08-2009, 02:18 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump for a nice car. post in the for sale thread if you haven't already.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

After this weekend I'm going back to driving the car. I think priced it too low if you can believe that.
So much for paying it forward...lol....

Thanks to all that have shown interest and the bumps.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Ricker1970
Track Day

John, I sent you a PM. Nice looking 964. I love the slate grey on the black rims.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Thanks, sent you one back
Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 AM
parapa1524
2nd Gear

Email sent~Plez check it!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

No longer for sale, came to my senses. Replaced a few oil lines, fixed AC and upgraded the shocks.
Its like a new car! Looking for some nice black seats now
Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Well..sounds like you have a "new" 964 then. Congrats and Welcome back. If it's like a "new" car now then, you need to post the obligatory pics.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

It still looks the same, but feels much better!
Will post when the interior is done, once the linen seats are gone the RS interior look will be completed.

Quick Reply: 89 C4 FS 15K