New gearbox --> Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 964sepp
hi Jef,
I do club sport races since 2000. How hard? Allways trying not to loose too much ground on GT3s...
Had the standard 5-speed G50 with LSD before. Losing power because of having one leg in the air isn`t a real issue (at least for me). The advantages I get with a Quaife in a 964 clearly outweight that.
I have never driven a F or G model on track, so I cannot tell if and how strong they tend to understeer.
One last thought: I know someone at Audi, what I hear is they have a clear tendency to torque biasing diffs, as long as the price segment, a certain model is in, does allowe that.
good luck
964sepp
Wow. It sounds like you have had some very good experience over several years with a torque biasing diff. Especially if you are running almost as fast as the GT3s!! This is very helpful information. Thanks for sharing!!

Jeff
Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by kos11-12
I think you're talking about the flat-shift function ? there's a switch on the clutch that tells the ECU that the clutch is down . When the clutch is down and the throtlle is still open (e.g over 75%) the ECU controls the engine rpm with ignition retard and limiters . the engine rpm won't drop below a certain threshold but also can't increase to far either . The result is high air fow through the engine which is also igniting in the exhaust .. this keeps the turbo spinning and producing boost whilst the driver is changing gear . As soon as the next gear is selected and the clutch is realised normal engine power is
restored .
Konstantin, I think in your first post you mentioned that your friend was shifting without using his clutch but in your second post you describe shifting while using the clutch but not lifting off the throttle. I think you probably intended to say in your first post -> "your friend was shifting without lifting the throttle". If so, I agree that he wouldn't need any special gears. He would just need the special ECU functions and clutch sensor that you described. For a turbo car, being able to "flat shift" must be awesome!!!

Jeff
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Cup LSD part# 996.332.083.9C

The gearbox code and serial # is stamped on the bottom of the gearbox (as one would see if the car were on a lift)
Its 996 332 083 9A- whats the difference between the two?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Final comments on Torque Bias vs Plate diffs:

1. First of all, either option is way better than an open diff.
2. In my experience, TB diffs do not contribute to unusual handling traits and can be smoother in operation when there is limited grip, i.e. the rain.
3. A new TB diff is going to be better than a worn out (read used) plate diff.
4. A new, good quality, plate diff with the correct locking factors will outperform a TB diff in the same car (assuming decent driver behind the wheel).

We have tried many different diffs, in the end we stopped using all the conventional Porsche plate diffs as we got tired of replacing parts, so we now we only supply & recommend our own carbon plate diff which has custom ramp angles. The advantage of the carbon plates (like a carbon clutch) is that the friction increases when they get hot, unlike all conventional sintered plate diffs which do the opposite, resulting in a higher effective locking factor as the race progresses.

So, the moral of the story is to buy a new diff 'cause all the used ones around will need a rebuild and will cost you the same in the end, and if funds are limited fit a TB diff and it will be still be way better than the open diff.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
Its 996 332 083 9A- whats the difference between the two?
My factory parts list says 996.332.083."9C", I don't know difference between this and a "9A".

The replacement friction disc set is given as 996.332.981."9C" in my book as well.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Hmm. Time to call PMNA. Thanks anyway
Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Hmm. Time to call PMNA. Thanks anyway
Please post differences if you find out.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

9A is the old 4 plate and 9C is the new 8 plate. For a 964, it has been my experience that you want the 4 plate version, especially if it is a street car. The preload breakaway torque on the 4 plate is almost 1/3rd that of the 8 plate and about 5 times that of a stock street 2 plate diff. The 8 plate is too much for a street tire and really should be used in a transmission with a cooler. It was designed for the GT3RSR which has 500+hp and runs an extremely wide slick tire.

I currenly run a 9C in my race car and it works well, but I've also run a 9A in my race car and it also worked well. I noticed an increase in the frequency of my transmission cooler pump with the 9C over the 9A which is due to the additional heat produced. Data logging shows about the same amount of wheel speed difference (diff slippage) between the two.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought the 996 Cup LSD two years ago and I'm very pleased with it.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:22 AM
D666S
Instructor

Location: San Sebastián de los Reyes, Madrid (Kingdom of Spain)

Originally Posted by NineMeister
We have tried many different diffs, in the end we stopped using all the conventional Porsche plate diffs as we got tired of replacing parts, so we now we only supply & recommend our own carbon plate diff which has custom ramp angles. The advantage of the carbon plates (like a carbon clutch) is that the friction increases when they get hot, unlike all conventional sintered plate diffs which do the opposite, resulting in a higher effective locking factor as the race progresses.

So, the moral of the story is to buy a new diff 'cause all the used ones around will need a rebuild and will cost you the same in the end, and if funds are limited fit a TB diff and it will be still be way better than the open diff.
Colin how much about is to rebuild a 2-plate standard diff of a 1991 Carrera 2 with your 9m carbon plates? Would need an additional cooler?

Thanks,
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm intrested!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
9A is the old 4 plate and 9C is the new 8 plate. For a 964, it has been my experience that you want the 4 plate version, especially if it is a street car. The preload breakaway torque on the 4 plate is almost 1/3rd that of the 8 plate and about 5 times that of a stock street 2 plate diff. The 8 plate is too much for a street tire and really should be used in a transmission with a cooler. It was designed for the GT3RSR which has 500+hp and runs an extremely wide slick tire.

I currenly run a 9C in my race car and it works well, but I've also run a 9A in my race car and it also worked well. I noticed an increase in the frequency of my transmission cooler pump with the 9C over the 9A which is due to the additional heat produced. Data logging shows about the same amount of wheel speed difference (diff slippage) between the two.
Thanks Geoffrey- so is the 4 plate 9A ratio the same as the 8 plate 9C- I'm thinking I want 40/65. I was also planning on using a cooler- but do you think I'll need it? Couldn't hurt I suppose, but not looking to add weight I don't need to.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The Cup parts catalog describes the "9C" as a 45/65% LSD
Old 01-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

BTW, I found a 40/65% differential better for autocross than the 20/100% that my car was supplied with. Turn in is crisper with less understeer and the car doesn't spin the inside rear wheel at all now exiting corners.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 401 Posts

Thanks Geoffrey- so is the 4 plate 9A ratio the same as the 8 plate 9C- I'm thinking I want 40/65. I was also planning on using a cooler- but do you think I'll need it? Couldn't hurt I suppose, but not looking to add weight I don't need to.
You are making the common mistake re lsd's, % vs breakaway torque and longevity.
here's a disassembled 4 plate, the cross hatched plates are the internally splinned Guard plasma friction disks, the others are externally splined load disks, slippage between them is one of the mechanisms for limiting slip, the notched side plates(aka thrust rings) are where the %/% lockup comes from, the angles generate varying amounts of preload on the plate stack when uder load from acceleration on one side and deceleration on the other

More plates means more friction area, this can be used to increase the amount of breakaway torque or increase longevity, usually a little of each. Breakaway torque is controlled by friction material and assembly pre-load and the dynamily applied preload, these can vary greatly

and assembled, here you can see how the spider gears ride in the sideplates, the angles of the notch(ramps) are not symmetric here, hence the asymmetric lockup figures, you change the %/% lockup by changing the ramp angles.

Quick Reply: New gearbox --> Options