Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To chip or not to chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not me! Unless someone snuck into the garage and took a day trip. And it was one dirty car last Friday! In any case, the Chestnut Brown is only a shade less red than, say, Boxster Red.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 AM
ashrolfe
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a RUF programmed ECU that was recovered from a crashed cup car. I'll dyno the 964 with stock, then with the new ECU and cup bypass. Should be interesting.. I'll cry if there's no difference!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 AM
ashrolfe
5th Gear

I've just gone through all the history of spirited discussions on chipping 964s on this forum - Christ! I wish I'd not said anything now!!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

thanks, ash -- that made my morning.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

A friend has a C2 with a Euro RS-DME that we tested on a dyno, then we switched to my stock DME. My box gave 250 HP so that was allright. The RS box gave 264 HP and +19 NM. This was a good increase, so we let the dyno company do a copy of the RS-chip which I now run in my car and it runs better than before. Especially on idle and low revs, it' much more smooth and stable and the pic up when the revs are falling is much better. You can't copy the chip straight off. you have to "tell" the chip in what kind of DME box it is supposed to work, in this case a stock C2. There are different matrixes from Bosch to use for this. A great little mod!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM
charlesj
Instructor

Little late to the discussion, but figured I would ad my input. I personally do not think that chips do a whole lot, especially on non turbo cars, but I do have a Wong chip on my C2 and did notice a slight positive difference. Nothing major, but a few extra hp, little more free revving, slightly broader power band, and I think I am getting better MPG. All improvements are slight, but overall noticeable to me. All in all, it was a worthwhile purchase IMO with no downside.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
ashrolfe
5th Gear

Originally Posted by elbeee964
thanks, ash -- that made my morning.
No, honestly - I was in fear for my life! Just goes to show kids, search before you post

For what it's worth, I noticed no difference on my 3.2 when I installed a Steve Wong chip other than better mpg. Didn't stop me buying this RUF 964 ECU though!!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello ,

I have a Cartronic chip + air mass metring drill box K&N bypass and cup and LWF on my C4 the dyno ( german Maha but no mixture richness reading ) show 270 at cranck and 300 nm torque ,
the engine was rebuild 40 000 km ago.
I think the chip and air mass metring do not give any power or not anything noticable , but makes the engine more responsive as also the LWF ;in my case it also cures the staling issues with aicon on only when engine is worm ,also maybe the fact that the engine is not new the valves and compression rings are obviously not sealing as well as, so a lost of power there maybe 10 bhp .

Konstantin c4
Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Christ! I wish I'd not said anything now!! Hey Ash you did a good job all the ppl here look at P Cars a bit diff and ask questions and get a mix of answers. My .02 on this I do not have a chip but there is one on the way from a good friend that has raced cars and won many times does all his own work. I for one do not know much about chips but agreee with all the post including Lorens. He seems to be a very knowlegable person and has many post from the other side so to speak. Also I agree with the post ppl likeing chips and the ppl who say there is not much of a change. +1 for all the feedback.
I read all the post and keep a very open mind about what is said because most have diff results and you have to look at all of them and make up your own mind. If you want to start a FIRE STORM just tell someone what kind of oil to use. I ask that in a post and was told on the side shhhhhhhhhh !!!
Its good to have a big spoon in the pot some times ..Stepping down before I get knocked off my box
Old 10-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

So many mods really only improve the PAR, or the PPR.......which is OK!

(Performance Appearance Ratio)
(Performance Perception Ratio)

Quick Reply: To chip or not to chip?