Sponsored by:

Air Intake - Flat vs Cone type?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Intake - Flat vs Cone type?

Has anyone tried the Fabspeed Air intake vs the Evo or K&N cone type Air Filter (intake)? Any comments regarding sound. I like the sound a full throttle but would hope there is no drone at highway / cruising speeds.
Any thoughts on the temperature of the air being taken in? Possible hotter air from the cone type filters as it is drawing air from the unobstructed engine side ?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There really is a huge amount on this on the forum, including tests to show what is going on temperature wise. Try searching!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 PM
1990-964
Pro

Can't comment on cone filters, but i have what is equivalent to the Fabspeed a stock cover with the entire side cut away. It only makes itself heard at wot. At cruise or part throttle it is indistinguishable from stock. No droning whatsoever.

Hope that helps
Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

I did a search and found lots of discussion about the Fabspeed exhausts. Lighter weight and 'better' sounds seems to be the main topics. Big debate on more power / less torque etc. with no real way of determining what kinds of real improvement. Dyno tests are done but the car is not moving so the air flow is not real world.

There is discussion about drilling the air box to imitate the Motor Sound package with varying results. Often with the owner replacing the original stock air box.

I'll do a little more digging. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you see this thread?

Marc
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Just checked out the thread. Excellent information and the right amount of information to make anyone's head spin... but make a good decision about Fabspeed Air box, Cone, Drilled or just pure stock

Awesome work!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Has anyone just kept the stock airbox but re-routed the snorkle directly upward to a fixed wing cover?

I notice Gert sells something like this but for 993s (and will not work on 964s)
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx/p93115.jpg

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 11-13-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

I've used the stock air filter for nearly 2 years (definitely sounds better after a service with a new filter btw). No probs.

BUT just installed one of these high flows:http://imagineauto.com/Merchant2/mer...Code=965turbos

Is this what you'd call a cone filter?

Anyway, I did it to clean up the engine bay, and supposed to sound a bit noisier than OEM. Time will tell how it performs.....
Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Evolution Motorsports cone filter on my C2 cab. No drone or other noise difference at steady cruising speed; you can only hear the difference at WOT or very close to it.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

I think i will buy one of those 'cone' type filters as long as i don't have to oil them periodically. i hear that the K&N that require the oil need to be carefully and evenly oiled so that the air intake is even throughout.

911addict - The Imagine Auto website claims 12-18 hp - obviously at the flywheel but that seems like a lot from just changing the Intake. I see on the website that there is a chip. What does that do? Remapping of some kind? How does it feel on the butt dyno? I read through the thread attached by Marc Shaw where he tests temperatures with the different kinds of air filters and the listers use scientific theories to determine to loss of hp due to hotter less dense air. The same theories that suggest that a golf ball will fly farther on a warm summer day vs a cold autumn day.

Quite a hotly debated subject because some tests are done on dynos where there is no air flow. Others ran their tests either with the wings up directing air into the engine bay or with the wings down not directing the cooler air from the outside.

Though there are many many variables driving on the track - tire wear, slow pokes on the track screwing up lap times, inconsistency in the driver's line etc, I have to think the best test of whether it is better to stay with stock air box or 'cone' type or fabspeed open square type, is track times. I suspect that Factory Porsche has the biggest budget for this type of testing.

In the meantime, I will switch to the 'cone' type because i love the sound....
Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Alex,
there is no chip for the 964turbo so I guess the claimed hp increase is just for the airflow kit, although it sounds rather adventurous to me. It is a bit more than just a filter though with the long curved piping, hence the label "high flow air intake".

Unfortunately I won't be able to comment on the hp results as at the same time I have had a load of other stuff at the same time ie. headers.

PS: My car is still at the garage, so hope to try it all out next week.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:29 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't like oiling the filter, then maybe it's time to try the ITG foam product?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

I haven't seen any foam filter products since the HKS turbo intake foam filters. What has been your experience with it?

Any comments on sound and performance?

I went to the ITG website but they only show products for Audi and Volkswagen. Price is reasonable.

I see there's no need to oil but there is the 'dust retention spray'. How often do you apply? after you wash the filter i imagine which could be as often as you wish. Is there a chance to wear it out by washing too much?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:22 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no experience with this item. You mentioned you didn't like to oil the filter so I thought you might like to hear about this option. For our cars, we can use a Maxogen item found near the bottom of the page.

I may try it but, like anything here Alex, you won't find a consensus as to which is the best option.

Quick Reply: Air Intake - Flat vs Cone type?