Sponsored by:

how to remove na trailing arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jasko - I took the liberty of copying your posts to the DIY forum as a new thread.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:00 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write-up! Nice cage pic also.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Dave, while I applaud your tenacity (I would have given up much sooner) did you go this way because you didn't have access to a press?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, isn't the "weld a washer" technique simply to weld a washer or something else flat on one of the metal inserts, then take a bolt or rod of some sort, insert it from the other side, and then PRESS the bolt/rod, so the the metal insert will carry the whole 1/2 of the assembly out the other side in one shot?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Jasko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chance - You are right, I don't have access to a press, so I went with the "take it out piecemeal" approach. Once you figure out what is what - it doesn't take much more than 45 minutes. Of course, it destroys the bearing, which seemed to be in decent shape, by the way.
With a press, you could press out the OUTER sleeve by coming through the center hole if you welded something across the opening. Then turn around and press out the INNER sleeve. Probably preserve the bearing if that is desired.

INterestingly, I have the older ERP monoballs, and it looks like the inner sleeve OEM pieces are "reused" in the ERP devices. At least those ERP pieces have Porsche 964# on them.

Marc - thanks, glad to help.

Dave
Old 11-11-2007, 05:09 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Default VOILA

Dave thanks for writing this up. I just finished getting the old ones out and the ERP ones in. Bit of a tight squeeze with the loctite. Now I see what you were asking about RE lube - whether or not the brass colored cartridge, or the black inner inserts need lube. I don't know but it would be good to find out.

Anyone remove the A arm bushings yet?

P.S. - one of the rear arm bushing cases did not come out at all, even with the plastic cut out. I took a hack saw, assembled it inside the hole, and cut the inner metal case and pried out a little strip - gave it just enough give to hammer the whole thing out.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NineMeister
As Tom says, the insert is in two halves so pushing on the outer side will do nothing. One solution is to simply weld a washer to one side of the inner piece, put a large bolt in from the other side and use the press again to push on the head of the bolt, so pushing the welded half out of the bottom. Once this is out, turn it over and simply push the other half out with a suitable mandrel. Hope this helps.
Thanks, great thread!
Had my bushings removed this week and installed ERP monoballs.
We welded a piece of steel on the old bushing just like Colin suggested and pressed the first half into a pipe.(see picture).
Attached Images   
Old 03-12-2014, 07:05 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

6 year old post.... does anybody know if it matters what side you weld the metal and what side you push?? Seems to me it wouldn't matter. Am I right?

Jaime
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are other options to pressing them out. I used a gas MAP torch to burn out all the rubber, and then most of the metal parts just fall out. You're then just left with the outer casing to cut and drift out. Took about 15-20mins. Not quite so enviromentally frendly as a press mind!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:57 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I just used a press when I did this, without welding. Which direction doesn't matter.

Thomas
Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

You can also use a drill and "destroy" some of the rubber before you start pressing, just to get things going.

Thomas

Quick Reply: how to remove na trailing arm bushings?