Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Best fitment for a Duck Tail on a 964?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 PM
964speed
User

Default Best fitment for a Duck Tail on a 964?

I have seen some of the 964 faithful sporting ducks tails in various pictures shared here. I am just wondering if could get some of you to share your experiences with quality and fitment on your cars. I have read that getting these to fit properly can be a challenge. Who would you recommend for I purchase one from? Getty ľ Betterbodies ľ Mashaw??
Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
GoKart
User

I think "Performance Products" also sells Ducktails --- I don't know who actually manufactures them for Performance Products, or if the quality is good, though?

www.performanceproducts.com
Old 08-28-2009, 06:55 PM
pantera43
User

I've had Getty on my 911 SC. Out of the box the fit and finish was great. Less work for the body guy to prep for paint. i had no problem with the fit. All the lines were spot on. Some of my buddies have used MA Shaw with the same results. Some say they Getty/MA Shaw are the same company.

Dan
Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 PM
John D.
Rennlist

On my '73 RS "clone" - I used MAShaw. The fit was perfect and required very little - if any - prep, as I recall? Mike (of MA Shaw) is wonderful folks - and goes the extra mile. In fact - don't be surprised, if you are a customer - if he picks up the phone to call you and just wants to "chat" about his products and if you have any questions during the install....

That's "just Mike"...

John
Old 08-28-2009, 09:13 PM
964speed
User

Originally Posted by John D. View Post
On my '73 RS "clone" - I used MAShaw. The fit was perfect and required very little - if any - prep, as I recall? Mike (of MA Shaw) is wonderful folks - and goes the extra mile. In fact - don't be surprised, if you are a customer - if he picks up the phone to call you and just wants to "chat" about his products and if you have any questions during the install....

That's "just Mike"...

John
John - Thanks for the info - spoke with Mike at length and he seems everybit of what you described, a great guy! The conversation spanned from ducktails to current banking policies in the world. LOL VERY VERY NICE!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 PM
John D.
Rennlist

Originally Posted by 964speed View Post
....spoke with Mike at length and he seems everybit of what you described, a great guy! The conversation spanned from ducktails to current banking policies in the world. ....

Yea - like I said - that's "just Mike".... He has a heart of gold and cares about his products and his customers... And yep - he CAN TALK!!

Say "Hi from John" when you chat with him, OK???

John
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 AM
964speed
User

Will do...
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 AM
3blackbirds
User

I'm in the process of having my Getty duck installed. The shop (Porsche body shop) had to realign the mounting holes, fix the top seam due to small gaps, had to shorten the bottom, and add more fiberglass in some areas. I was told it would fit with minimal work, which I expected, but not fixing the whole tail. Didn't get the bill yet.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:40 PM
roadsleeper
User

While I don't have a ducktail, the replica RSA wing I ordered from MA Shaw looked great out of the box, required very little prep work for paint or installation, and has settled well post-install (i.e., no warping, etc.).

Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 AM
mpeters951
User

I went with Getty after a dialogue with Robert York (LA964RS) and that's turned out to have been very good advice. I'd also purchased a 3.8 RSR front lower piece that turned out to be a wonderful paperweight; meaning a complete waste of time/money; not even close to a fit.

Fitting the Getty tail required drilling/dremelling the mounting holes on the cars' hinges into eccentric shapes as the Ducktail wellnut attach points are hardmounted. But, after finessing the hinge holes and playing 'round with the rubber stops on either corner, adjusting the latch, proper alignment achieved.

Although the hinges now have eccentric holes, that still will allow proper re-fit of the OE engine lid if I choose to do so, no problem.

Best pal who painted the tail, who owns a Porsche specific resto/repair business and who normally loathes aftermarket parts, was very much impressed with the Getty piece. Quoting him, it was very ready for prep/paint with a minimum of fuss and bull****.

Last edited by mpeters951; 03-29-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
964speed
User

Great looking car...where did you get your center reflector deletion?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
ThomasC2
Super User

+1 for Getty/MA Shaw. My front hood in C/F was really good. Ready to paint and just a bolt on.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM
mpeters951
User

Center reflector is standard OE painted.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:58 PM
SPDADCT
User

On the 964 the reverse lights are in the center reflector, did you just delete the reverse lights or move them to the corners?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 PM
DanielT
User

did the Getty or MA Shaw tails come with the grille work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best fitment for a Duck Tail on a 964?

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: