Sponsored by:

Shift lights installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in the process if installing a Shift-I but can't seem to get it to read RPM.

I have lights with ignition reading voltage (so wiring of power and ground are correct) but no RPM at all.

I used pin 2 on the tach - can anyone confirm this is the right pin? Did you have to alter sensitivity at all?

Thanks.

Marc
Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 PM
rideshootanddrink
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon me, but have you removed the whole dash or just the vent part? Don't you have to remove the windshield to remove dash? Am I wrong?

BTW: very good solution
Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Marc I'll see if I can pull my tach later tonight and take a photo
it should pick up the tach signal w/o adjusting it at this point

No need to remove the windshield to get the dash out & you don't have to wire it that way you can route it around the dash
Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Marc - i took mine apart it is KL.TD from the looks of it - i'll correct the install doc with Shift-I
Second pin up from the bottom on the left side of the tach (with tach facing away from you)

Last edited by Cupcar#12; 07-19-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Rob - I was pretty sure I had everything else right so figured that the tach signal was to blame.

Marc
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,
I'm curious as to how you set the rev level that the LEDs cut in ? Does the voltage output from the tacho increase with revs and the LED unit interprets that ? Can you adjust it ?

Out of interest I've just installed my own shift light, but went about it a slightly different way. My car has MoTeC which has any number of spare outputs. I got 9m to wire up a cable to the MoTeC harness that gives 12volts when the revs are at peak power (6,400 rpm or something like that). I then routed the wires along the sill and up under the dash and positioned a single 8mm blue flashing LED set into the cover of the engine buzzer between the tacho and the oil and temp gauage (just above and to the left of the steering column). The install looks totally stealth !

I did this at the same time as another friend, and rather than use the engine buzzer, he dropped the rheostats for the guage lights and intermittent wiper back into the dash and put twin 8mm red LEDs into the holes in the dash instead. This looks really good as you have a light either side of the wheel just above hand height.

I like the idea of the simplicity of your install and now wonder if we could have done the job a whole lot easier going your way, but ours cost only a couple of bucks for a bit of cable and a handful of LEDs (clearly only of use to anyone with MoTeC though !!!!!!)

Jamie
Old 07-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

the LED level is set by the user, for instance mine starts at 4000 RPM and incriments 1 light per 500 RPM up to the red one at 7000 RPM. The Shift-I unit takes a straight tach signal and interperates RPM from there, it is adjustable for sensitivity so you can Tune it to +/- 100 RPM or so.

For MoTeC you could have the ECU run a secondary tach signal to power this (i believe) or just use the Tach signal as we did.
it really personal preference as to what works for you - 7 lights or 2 at Max RPM only
you can have the shift-i light up at only max RPM as well (there are a few different modes)
I use mine mostly to gauge RPM at different intervels on the track (along with my ear) and it gives me a bit of repeatability - and knowing when i can strech a gear in the heat of action.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Rob,

Your tach may be different than mine but KL.TD and the pin you describe/photographed above is actually pin #6 which works. Pin #7 in mine is +KL.15 and does not work.

For the record, KL.TD seems to be the right pin, regardless of its number.

Thanks again.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 07-20-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

so yours is the 3rd pin up from the bottom on that side?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

No, it is second pin up just like you showed but it is labelled #6 right on the black plug and it corresponds with the legend on the label on the back of the tach.

Marc
Old 07-20-2007, 12:54 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Dang this RennList - $168 quickly zapped from the car budget!!!!

Marc - which pin are you regarding as KL.TD? Someone post a clear image!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Rob for the head's up on this cool shift light setup!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
the LED level is set by the user, for instance mine starts at 4000 RPM and incriments 1 light per 500 RPM up to the red one at 7000 RPM. The Shift-I unit takes a straight tach signal and interperates RPM from there, it is adjustable for sensitivity so you can Tune it to +/- 100 RPM or so.

For MoTeC you could have the ECU run a secondary tach signal to power this (i believe) or just use the Tach signal as we did.
it really personal preference as to what works for you - 7 lights or 2 at Max RPM only
you can have the shift-i light up at only max RPM as well (there are a few different modes)
I use mine mostly to gauge RPM at different intervels on the track (along with my ear) and it gives me a bit of repeatability - and knowing when i can strech a gear in the heat of action.
Rob, thanks, that sounds like a neat little unit - a bit more technologically advanced than my single flashing LED. I might have a look and see if I can find a UK stockist ..........

Jamie
Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by garrett376
Marc - which pin are you regarding as KL.TD? Someone post a clear image!!!!!!!!!!!
Garrett - here is the best I could do.

Marc
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Fantastic, thanks Marc!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Marc, one does not produce better how to pictures than those. Fantastic!

On a related note, is there a comparable variable voltage pin on the speedometer where the voltage varies with speed? I could have some uses for that!

Quick Reply: Shift lights installation