Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work. wish I could do that.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Excellent documentation of the rebuild. Thank you for taking the time to snap photos and sharing them with the forum. Keep them coming!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:52 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The cost is high. I havent added up all the bills. Machining and parts the machine shop supplied was $4500 usd, used late style pistons/cylinders was $800 usd, clutch parts were $2000 usd, there was another couple thousand in parts from Pelican.

It costs alot to rebuild a porsche engine.

If you were going to do a top end reseal only, it wouldn't be too bad. In my case as I took apart the engine, I realised the previous shops that had been in there shouldn't have been. A hacked up job of valve guides in the cars past, required every valve to be replaced. Cams were pitted, etc etc etc.

Its a long and painful list.

Kirk
Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm debating whether or not I'll ever add up my costs unless I sell the car. And this way, I'll never have to tell the wife because I honestly don't know. "A few thousand" is technically accurate at this point.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:25 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

I don't mention much about the costs around the house. Touchy subject...

Did you have any problems with the rear main seal popping out when you mated the case halves? Or did you put yours in afterwards? Mine would not stay still while I was doing the perimeter bolts. I gave up in the end and took it out. I'll have to take the motor off the stand next week to put it in.

Kirk
Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KirkF
The cost is high. I havent added up all the bills. Machining and parts the machine shop supplied was $4500 usd, used late style pistons/cylinders was $800 usd, clutch parts were $2000 usd, there was another couple thousand in parts from Pelican.

It costs alot to rebuild a porsche engine.

If you were going to do a top end reseal only, it wouldn't be too bad. In my case as I took apart the engine, I realised the previous shops that had been in there shouldn't have been. A hacked up job of valve guides in the cars past, required every valve to be replaced. Cams were pitted, etc etc etc.

Its a long and painful list.

Kirk
Knowing the job was done right THIS time: Priceless!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kirk... WOW! What a beautiful job! I/We really appreciate you snapping the pics (as Jaime said) and posting them... They are absolutely beautiful! I wish I had the space... and time for this project.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great job, Kirk.

Please - keep the photos coming...all of us can live vicariously through your efforts.

Marc
Old 06-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Oracle
Pro

Kirk,
Great Job! You make it look sooo easy... ;-)
Question: What made you decide to split the case: Crank bearings? High mileage? Oil Analysis?
Based on your comments I don't see the true reason. Not that you have to explain yourself of course! I'm just trying to understand what is the driver to take all this to the deepest level

Thanks
Jasper
Old 06-27-2006, 01:44 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Jasper,

I had initially intended on just resealing the top end and leaving it at that, but in the end I decided to split the case because:

1. The motor has 120k miles on it.

2. After all the work to dissassemble the motor down to the case, it seemed like a waste not to change the main bearings/intermediate shaft bearings and timing chains. They are some of the least expensive items. (and they had 120k...)

3. I had oil leaking from some of the case throughbolts, and given the work I had seen on the rest of the engine, I definetly had to check the crank as well.

So thats what got me to this point...
(And on many an occasion I wish I had never started it.)

Kirk
Old 06-27-2006, 03:30 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the main seal because I learned my lesson with the intermediate shaft seal - don't use too much curil-T - or whatever else you're using. An ULTRA light coat is all you need. And, hmm, if I'm not mistaken I think I put it on before mating the halves - though you should be able to put it on after if you have to.

You're work is an inspiration - I just dropped my motor tonight. 4 hours. I'm getting better at this than I ever wanted to be
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've seen a number of posts about pulling the motor and the difficulty in getting it under the rear bumper. Either the back end needs to go dangerously high, or the bumper needs to come off.

Has anyone pulled the intake manifold while in the car and then pulled the engine? Seems like it would make the extraction easier at a lower rear end height. And, I would guess that the intakes come off straight away any way.

Just curious.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Dave,
Yes, removing the intake does help, but you still have to clear the alternator fan housing.......
Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Use a second jack and a wide board under the transmission mounting bolt holes in the chassis. Jack the body of the car up high enough to slide the engine out and then let it back down on the jack stands. Been doing it this way forever and works well, including turbo engines.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kirk,

Looking like you're dong a good job on the rebuild.

As you torn down the bottom end & taking measurements, were any of the components (crank, crank bearings, piston, cylinder, rings, etc.) out of spec? This would serve as another data point on wear on the bottom end of the 3.6.

Why aren't you upgrading to the 3.8 piston/cylinder?

Another thing, whenever/whereever possible, use the green VITON seals!!!!

---
anthony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 Engine Rebuild