Racecar Project - Dash / Interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Racecar Project - Dash / Interior

All,

I want to thank all for your concern and encouragement regarding my "little accident". I never really intended to make such an issue about it and didn't really think about it when I posted it in passing. However, thanks again. Here is a picture which really doesn't look bad, although it is down to the bone and has several layers of stiches inside.

Now for the good stuff. Since I can't really do anything major, I've been working on the interior which is a lot of measuring and detail work to get everything to line up properly and I can do it while sitting down.

Some key points of interest. The fuel pump normally turns on by the ECU only when the engine is cranking or running. However, what to do if you want to empty the tank for servicing? You could jumper the relay, but I installed a SPDT toggle switch that allows me to run the pump for servicing. I also did the for the Trans pump so I could either allow the ECU to turn it on based on the temp sensor installed in the trans, or manually.

I am intending to install an electric power steering pump in the car in the future (probably next winter) and replace the manual RS rack that is in the car with the original power one. I will be hooking it up to the MoTeC ADL so it will run based on steering angle and wheel speed with voltage ranging from 2-12 volts depending on the need (steering angle vs wheel speed). This allows for a minimal draw on the alternator and therefore, less of a power drain on the engine. I also wanted to be able to turn the pump on while the car is off so I can push it around easily.

The cutout next to the switches will house a Motorola 4 channel 2 way radio and the antenna will be on the leading edge of the roof. I'll probably finish the installation tomorrow.

I fitted the carbon fibre dash piece which will house some additional switches for wipers, traction control, and ABS as well as the ADL Dash, low fuel light, warning light, shift light assembly and probably some other things. However, I need to build the shift light assembly so I can determine the proper placement for everything with the seat installed before anything is cut.

I mounted the relays on the firewall behind the glove box and I'm going to install a carbon fibre cover where the glove box normally goes. On the surface I'll install 2 fuse panels, an hour meter, and the ABS diagnostic port.

So much for now...

Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Are they CARBON FIBER stitches ?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leg= gross. Everything else= Gorgeous!
Brian
Old 12-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Reminded me of the roast I just ate....
Old 12-10-2005, 11:44 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now you're just showing off, again
Old 12-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice... Nice... Nice... BAD!
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Really nice job/ CLEAN WORK- and good pics - what is the "down for service" label for??/-
Are those square knotes??
Old 12-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The "down for service" refers to the 3 right most toggle switches which are SPDT (two positions on - off - on). With the switches in the up position, they allow the devices to function normally - controlled by the ECU. With the switch down, it allows for them to be operated manually - fuel pump on, trans pump on, power steering on. This allows you to service the devices rather than manually jumpering a relay to turn on the device.

I used a Brother P-touch label maker to print the labels.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:35 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As typical for your work, everything is well thought out and executed. I personally like the feel and purposeful click of a solid toggle switch. A toggle is one of the tactile impressions that speaks to quality and seriousness.

Glad to hear the leg is improving.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey - interesting and smart - well thought out - For the labels though, you might want to make a small clear plastic strip that you can use to put over the P-touch label. We used to get black plastic with a white section in between - like aircraft use - and have the switch lable cut into this ( so the name reads in white on black) at an aviation shop . Another way to do this is to just get a clear stripe of plastic and drill it for the switch hole and fasten the label to the back side, using the switch to hold in place. It works, and the label is protected. You can do this as an individual label or for a group as you have. Just sharing ideas - it really looks like you are doing a class act on the car.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Gus, Thanks for the info. I actually remember the two color plastic from high school shop class from which we made name tags for doors.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey - Yes, this is the same material but the plastic used for the switch labels is a lot thinner, so it fits well behind the switch. I can get you the sizes if you need to know - ALSO -The clear plastic works well as a protector for the Brothers labels. It just takes time to make them. It is easier to do a group of switches over making a cover for each switch. Here, also, the ring on the switches will hold the plastic in place so you don't have to drill any more holes in the dash. But, it looks good as it is, jsut down the road time will have an affect.

Quick Reply: Racecar Project - Dash / Interior