Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative Gumball - Gobstopper rally?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative Gumball - Gobstopper rally?

Been watching the Gumball rally on Men and motors.

Seems like a lot of rich buggers with not much to do. Very expensive cars, 5star hotels, and at one point renting a plane to carry them and the car because they missed the boat (now thats cash for you), Not frightened to crash a very expensive car while showing off, happy to

I have no probs with other people having cash but what about a down to earth rally?

Limit on value of car to say £30k < this will allow some 993's in. Limit miles in any one day to 400ish < this will allow more stops and chatting etc.
Could do Germany France Italy across med then tip of africa back to spain and bilbo to blighty.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:03 PM
willie964
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would certainly be up for something of that description. Will be interesting to see the feedback on this one from eveyone - like you say a realistic budget version would be all the more fun. Let's see what transpires !!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Christer
Race Car

Yes, I would be up for that as well.....
Old 08-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gumball 2006 now £40k to enter (a vertiable bargain at £30k if you've participated previously) so a Gobstopper Rally could be of great interest.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Christer - hopefully you didn't class everyone as rich buggers!!! Only joking mate
Old 08-13-2005, 10:35 AM
C4-JohnO
Racer

I didnt even know it cost to enter and £40k WTF for, you use your own car stay in 5-6 hotels for one night and use a few ferrys.

Steve, we met briefly at the Devon weekend, if i had know it was a paid entry i would have asked you more detailed questions.

Exactly what do you get for the money or is this just the organiser making a large amount of cash?

Now I'm really interested in organising something just for the hell of it. I posted on Renlist but it wouldn't have to be a Porsche only event. Although this is not such a bad idea.

We could do a factory visit as part of it, whats in France worth seeing? Perhaps Le Mans, can you do a track session there?

We must be able to take in the section of Alps with the major twisty bit in (please excuse my complete lack of geographical knowladge here!)

Could visit the Ducati factory.

I'll get my altas out and have a look, but if anybody wants to suggest some things then chip in.

Steve, if there is that much interest in the Gumball and willing poeple to pay £30-40k I am assuming there would be lots of interest in alower cost lower key event. Could even run a van or two for support etc.

if it starts to get real interest then lets do it.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sal 965
Christer - hopefully you didn't class everyone as rich buggers!!! Only joking mate
I certainly didn't.....if we lived closer to each other I would have liked to meet up more often - so if you are ever down this way let me know.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Christer
Race Car

p.s. wasn't it £10K entry last year I think you said? Thats doable but £40K isa bit of a waste of money IMHO.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:04 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't think Le mans is going to work for a track session, its half public road......

Though that can be fun too.................... ;-))))

kevin.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:17 AM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Just ead the T&C for this year and you sign over all write to any pics vid footage etc and have to deliver said stuff to them at your own cost so they can use it all in the vid and on web.

Humm seems more like a money making machine. Although you do get 3 square every day. I'll get my cheque book!

Was it only £10 last year then Steve? I didn't see you in any of the pics on the TV. I was looking out for you, could I really miss that yellow turbo?

Now £10 seems a little more like it, although still a big stash of cash! Hotels food and some sea transport, it would soon add up.

Was that per car or are passangers extra, next year it costs £10k to take a passenger.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

My humble apology Christer, i was on the phone when typing and thought it was you not John who made the comment.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

The footage currently being shown on Satelite TV is of the 2004 event. The 2005 event of this May will be shown i think on 28th August 10pm on The Extreme Sports Channel.

For the £10,000 (it was £8,000 if you had done it previously) covered all Hotels, parties, food, yacht accomodation at Monaco GP, ferries, Channel tunnel fee, piles of free stuff at the start, etc....

Whilst i thought some of the event wasn't very well organised the organisers sorted a lot out with the Police and Government of certain countries for minimal hassle when passing through.

The £40,000 fee for the 2006 rally is a lot of money and is really going to be affordable by the most dedicated (and very well off) car fanatic. Costs are high to cover air freighting the cars from europe to China and Japan to USA for example. I can see the 2007 event if there will be one will be more realistic.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:04 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Steve, it was a tounge in cheek poke at the featured people and cars.

One dude crashed a very expensive Ferrari but seemed completly unbothered by it and was more concerned about the fact he couldn't complete the trip. I would have been crying over my car

They come across as a bit odd to me, but hey I didn't see you on it so havn't got a balanced picture of more down to earth competitors.

The two dudes in the 2CV seemed more like it, with a top speed of 70mph and they won the 'Spirit of the Gumball' trophy.

Thats the sort of thing I'm getting at really, average guy with average cash to hand rather than super cars with super wallets and credit cards.

And as you said yourself £40k puts it in a totally different ball park of affordability! If you can afford that level then fair play to you and well done for getting there.

Based on the number of growing numbers for each of the last 6 years, he should get around 175ish (not with standing the new fee) cars.

Or a cool £7 millon pounds of entry fees.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

John,

I think numbers for the 2006 Gumball are limited to around 100 or 125 but still mega money in entry fees
Old 08-13-2005, 12:57 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Even at 100 thats £4 mill

Quick Reply: Alternative Gumball - Gobstopper rally?