Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative Gumball - Gobstopper rally?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I don't really see the point of flogging a dead horse over this. £10K which includes all the food and drink and hotels and travel etc is pretty realistic, if the 40K includes airfreighting cars and so on I bet there isn't a lot of profit made each year. Obviously, if the organisers do this full time they need to make money to support themselves but I don't think its the case. As I said, for the amounts being touted here I can't see them making a lot of money.

Why don't we concentrate on seeing whether we would feasibly arrange something realistic for us. I would have thought though that it would have to be sort of unofficial and low key otherwise we would have the same problems as the Gumball....

Viva the 'Rennlist Rally'....for next year........?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christer
Yes, I would be up for that as well.....
Me too, except I would have to ask one of those guys from the Gumball rally to pay to fly my 911 to Europe.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in this too - maybe have it around Le Mans 24hrs so we could all transend on that for a highlight weekend or something?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:18 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Yes I take your point Christer and the cost of next years wasn't why I started the thread. In fact i had no idea it would cost this much. As for profit, I think given the DVD, CD and Tv rights he will be making a small fortune and fair play to him.

What I was after was an alterantive for the every day cars and peolple. Now there has to be a cost involved if it gets to a certain size. If you want a support vehicle, making sure everybody pays upfront for sea travel etc and booking hotels.

Also somebody will need to organise routes, stops and some light entertainment.

Or, it could just be a group of like minded people travelling in the same direction on a mission to see some places and get back within a week ;-)

But not the ***** speed out affair that comes across on the TV coverage. Although when several fast cars gather there will always be some speeding at some point and more than likely a rush for a ferry crossing because there was a hold up etc.

If its to laid back then it would break up within a day or two as some will want to go one way and others another etc.

So some structure will be needed and in this case some organisation.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

As an owner of (ahem) one of the 993s that could fit under the 30K barrier (probably quite easily this year!) I would be interested, especially of it just happened to be passing Le Mans (even more so if it was when the class Le Mans was on (a few weeks after the normal race I think?). I'm not proud enough that I can't admit that if it use camping sites or slightly less lavish accomodation than the Gumball rally that would be even better....

Cheers,

David
Old 08-13-2005, 02:44 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

What dates are these things please
Old 08-13-2005, 03:01 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Can we even travel in Libya?

Dover to the father land (Germany) and Porsche factory visit
Into France and overnight stay
France, Le Mans
Big drive to Bologna overnight stay
Early morning visit to Ducati factory
Drive to Napels and (over night?) ferry Tunis in Tunisia
Algeria - Algiers, either ferry back Spain or
Stop over night and then to
Morocco, tangier to Gibraltar (blighty)
through spain to either Madrid or other race track for track time if possible
Over night stop then
Upto Bilbao and over night to Portsmouth

Now thats a trip! Not rushed so lets say 10 days, leaving either Friday night or early Sat getting back Sunday some time?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi John,

The 2004 Le Mans Classic was run mid-July so there is a reasonable chance that it will be similar dates next year (it runs every two years). The regular race is second week in June I think. That's a hell of a trip you are proposing! I probably could not get a pass for more than a week tops but you could break this up into chunks to suit differing peoples needs.

Cheers,

David
Old 08-13-2005, 04:06 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Its one big trip and i could see 5-7 hours a day in the car.

As for breaking it up, i Think once you got into Italy you might as well go all the way.

But may be its a little too long, could just be Geramny, France and Spain back via Bilbao - 1 week easy.

I happy to try either and wanted input from people who really would like to do it or something like it. So feel free to chip in.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

Myself and a few friends (some even without Porsches!!!!) are going on a similar Gumball style event next year and have found that the viamichelin.com website to be invaluable for planning routes as it gives the info on miles, both road and motorway sections, and indicates journey times fully across Europe.

I'm sure you can put stops in their planner as well, such as the Factory visit, after which you'll know how many miles (or hours) you would want to do before you would want to stop and then pick hotels etc.. to suit.

As with most things any event like this will only be a success with the people invloved. That was the biggest plus for me from the Rally i entered - I made a whole new group of friends in some near and far flung places who share the same passion for cars who i keep in touch with.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:22 AM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Couldn't agree more Steve, the people will make the event.

The other half and I were looking at it last night and both agreed it was a daunting road trip with hours in the seat but would be an amazing experience

Thanks for the web addy, I'll spend some time on it and see what comes out.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:56 AM
willie964
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm excited about the prospect of this already , I am sure there will be plenty of interest.
For us folks North of the Border would it be possible to arrange a convenient meeting point somewhere in Europe as it's a 'Gumball' in it's self to get to the Chunnel / Channel Ferries !!

It appears that you have taken this mission on your shoulders here John, but if you need any help from my end then please let me know -
Old 08-14-2005, 07:53 AM
C4-JohnO
Racer

I've just been looking at some of the timings for the first leg using the map Steve supplied.

I may have underestimated travel times to!!! LOL Stuttgart is about 8 hours 800ish kms.

My orginal idea was to have more of a laid back approach to it, so in this case that would mean an overnight on the way.

Willie, I'm more than happy to do it if there is a genuine interest and a commitment to it. I don't want to turn up on the day and have just one of the 20 people who said they would go arrive etc.

I think it will need a fixed route, ie not to much debate as evrybody will want to go different places, a fixed time - both number of days and what month and an agreed fixed cost for overnights and other bits.

If all these things can be agreed and a given number of people commit to to it then I will sort for next year.

Steve, did you get any support vehicles on the Gumball or are you left to your own devices if lost or broken down. i notice on the T&C for the next one if you miss any stop points they say your on your own and no refunds etc!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

No support vehicles as there was an entrance fee (£3k or £5k i think) for those as well!!!!

The initial thought of striaght to Stuttgart would be an endurance but if everyone met in London the night before as an example you could have a relaxing day and then head off mid to late afternnon and arrive early hours of the morning to raid the residents bar at the hotel and would then have the morning at the factory and set off again for a short trip to the next location or could possible stay over again and set off the day after. It all depend on how many sights you want to see and which roads of interest you especially you want to drive. A good way of this would be to get an ordance survey style map of Eurpoe and mark on the places/roads and then work these through the route planner as this is what we have done for our trip next year - it throws up some different ways of looking at the things as a whole when it is pinned on a wall!!!!

In regard to the idea of you being the only one to turn up. Block bookings would have to be made for hotels to make sure everyone is together especially as you would be looking for hotels with secure parking only and the group will make the event. People would have to pay deposits probably 6 moths in advance for this much as they would for any annual holiday.

If you need any help just let me know. I don't profess to be an expert but having done this once i can let you know the level of preparation needed and how tough if can be. You only have to do a calculation on fuel cost to know it will not be cheap. With hotels, trips, ferries or tunnel, fuel spares and servicing beforehand i think a budget of £3,000 - £4,000 will not be far off per car with two people in.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:35 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Steve

The Stuttgart run was a shocker, thanks for the map link very helpfull. The ring is only a few klicks away from there. But I think an overnight would be a little better for us oldies! May be the fun of it would push us on in one go.

I know I would want a little sleep before a trip around the N Ring!

Having done some basic sums, I don't think your far off with that figure Steve. Shocking really but when you start adding in fuel and the like.

I just watched the 03 Gumball across the USA, they get a lot of press and attention. I think that year seemed a lot more in the spirit but that could all be in the VT edit.

The offer of help is great Steve and I may well take you up on it. I just bought a web name Gobstopperrally.com and .co.uk so if I can get my head around it I could start a info page if required.

Although from the looks of things we could get an all Porsche event going with rennlisters I think.

Should it be a rally or a tour and whats the diffence. I see rally as timed event and tour as just that, time to take pics, breath and sleep! But i guess the rally would be more exciting.

Quick Reply: Alternative Gumball - Gobstopper rally?