Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pending projects and a few q?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up Jaime... if the car doesn't sell before snow flies, I'll look at doing that work. I just hate these projects that tie up my studio space though
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
nice write up Jaime... if the car doesn't sell before snow flies, I'll look at doing that work. I just hate these projects that tie up my studio space though
Get ready to do the work then, we're getting snow here and it should come your way in a few hours. I can't believe it has not sold yet, I thought about it many times, but the thought of teaching my wife how to use 3 pedals has given me nightmares.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I just could not spend 3K on a steering rack because I will need that (or more) to fix the transmission!!
Have you located and priced out the tools required for a transmission repair?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Have you located and priced out the tools required for a transmission repair?
I do not plan to take it apart... I plan to remove it and then find a shop that can do the repair... I know my limitations... bodywork/paint and transmissions are out of my league...
Old 12-04-2013, 04:00 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Great pic Jaime ... Are you going to re-treat/seal with the waxy oily stuff?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by HiWind
Great pic Jaime ... Are you going to re-treat/seal with the waxy oily stuff?
Wait? What? You want me to clean it to get it dirty again?

No plans to cover it with anything... I did the same when I replaced the A-arms bushings. They are holding nice and clean...

On other news... got the cover today... 3rd replacement... these things deteriorate faster than anything else in the car...

Going to replace the broken one while I continue to wait for the steering rack seals...

Old 12-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by hawk911
You can always send me your car and I will do it for you in the comfort of my garage
Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Eliminiating pending tasks from the list... replaced the piece of the fan shroud that was broken... interesting to see that the part was almost have buying it directly from the Porsche dealer than from Pelican...usually is the other way around... reason to always shop around before buying.

Old...

New in place... also took the time to make the holes in the RS duct for the sensors...

Also installed the 3mm spacers in the front hubs... I hope that is enough to give the needed clearance for the tires to not touch the inner wheel wells...

Got to check off three items from the list...
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You can always send me your car and I will do it for you in the comfort of my garage
so if I drop my car off at your house next weekend when can you have my steering rack leak fixed?? I also need to change the bomb on the clutch slave on the Turbo
Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimq
so if I drop my car off at your house next weekend when can you have my steering rack leak fixed?? I also need to change the bomb on the clutch slave on the Turbo
Do you have the seals? If so, how about next Saturday?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimq
... I also need to change the bomb on the clutch slave on the Turbo
Those go out often... If you have the part, we can tackle it tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:11 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Those go out often... If you have the part, we can tackle it tomorrow.
no I dont have any parts. I will see how your new seals workout. If they do I think I will try it on mine. My rack leaks about as fast as I put the fluid back in. I saw a good writeup on the bomb replacement on 6 speed. Doesnt seem to be to hard especially with my lift. While I am doing the rack I really need to put the turn stops on. My right tire rubs a bit on the metal. You going to rebuild your rack next weekend? If you are working on it I might stop by. I will get back to you towards the end of the week and see whats up. I have been wanting to come see the blue car project. Thanks for the offer
Old 12-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

If you have not changed your number, I will give you a call as soon as the seal kit comes in. So you can stop by and watch. I will make sure that I have the blue car here so you can see it and take it for a spin.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:10 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

If you have not changed your number, I will give you a call as soon as the seal kit comes in. So you can stop by and watch. I will make sure that I have the blue car here so you can see it and take it for a spin.
same number. You keeping the other car at your friends place? Dont go out of your way to bring the car home just for me. Does it take special tools to replace the seals in the rack? I will PM you my cell later to be sure you have the right one.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I worked yesterday on rebuilding the steering rack in my car. The good news is, besides two parts that were diffcult to take out, it is a fairly easy process that only takes time. But it can be done by just anyone.

Anyone that can follow directions that is... because I get the chance to do it again because I installed a seal backwards If I only would have gone back to the photos I took to avoid this specific situation... son of a gun... any way, great learning experience

The next time will be much easier...

Since I am doing this again, I will just share the photos and a few comments and leave the complete documentation for the next one.

I followed the instructions from here: http://www.klaindustries.net/technic...rack-instr.htm

And those are spot on... the only difference from the 964 to the 993 seems to be one seal that is not on the 964, well, more like a plastic bushing. So if you follow those instrucions, and install the seals facing the correct direction, you will be fine.

Enjoy the photos, I am going drinking...

Everything ready and set to start

Marked the position and used the notch on the shaft as reference when reinstalling to avoid misaligned steering wheel...

Clean as you go... something my dad used to say... he would be proud...

This plastic plug came out in pieces! So be sure to have one as it does not come in the kit...

Quick Reply: Pending projects and a few q?