I just want to cry...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005 | 05:38 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Brian, thanks for the update and pics. I feel somewhat guilty each time I enjoy your pictorial updates as I feel my couple of minutes of good reading comes at such huge expense to you!

I am so looking forward to the day I log-in to see...ITS ALL DONE!!!!

kEEP YOUR CHIN UP MATE!
Exactly the same goes for me.
Old 01-04-2005 | 06:10 PM
Christer
Race Car

Ditto.....
Old 01-04-2005 | 06:48 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

From: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

Brian
Make sure that they are using a 'cold' galvanising spray with a min 99% zinc pigment purity content. As previously mentioned, it's really important, especially on the weld joint. Standard primers are pourous, so the protection should be put in place before any primers are sprayed over the weld.

Glad to see your car coming back together!
Good luck!

best regards
Old 01-04-2005 | 09:31 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Fellas,
Please don't feel guilty at all for enjoying my little pictorial, that's what it's there for! And believe me, no one will be more happy when it finally is done (which should be by next week some time.)

KB964Cabrio,
Thanks for the tip. I know that they spray the galvanizing on before the primer, but I'm really not sure about the content or whether it's "cold" or "lukewarm" . Sounds like I've got some investigating to do.

Wachuko,
They didn't cover the engine bay, and while the interior was fairly masked off during much of the work, it's been in there three months and some dust has certainly found its way inside. Also, the rear seats were removed, including the rear deck, and the pieces have been sitting in the shop all this time. I didn't notice until about a month ago. My interior was in excellent shape when I brought the car in, and I'm not going to accept it in any less excellent shape when I take it back. The engine wasn't exactly clean before, but they will need to clean it up a bit before I take the car back.
As far as them painting the inside of the fender wells, I don't believe they will, but I'm not sure since they haven't started painting yet.
Brian
Old 01-04-2005 | 09:50 PM
fore!
Instructor

Brian,

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it - diminished value. On top of the repairs you need to get 11 -14% or your cars market value as a result of diminished value due to the accident.

Good luck with progressive....
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:07 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Update 7Jan:
Went by the shop once again and the car was primed and prepped for painting to take place (pardon the alliteration). I had been told on Tuesday that I might have the car back this week, but that it likely wouldn't be until next week, and low and behold, it won't be until next week. At least. They still have a good bit of reassembly to do once the painting is done, so that will take a while. And it still hasn't had any mechanical inspection. One thing I've been thinking about, which I would like some input on, is where to have that inspection done. The shop has a mechanic they work with that they want to do the inspection. Anything that they inspect is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. However, I'm not sure, and actually I'm very skeptical, that the mechanic knows anything about Porsches at all. On the other hand, I could take the car to my mechanic, be sure that he gave it a thorough look through, but lose the warranty. I think what I may actually end up doing is allowing the mechanic at the shop to do the initial inspection, and then taking it to my mechanic and paying for his inspection myself. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Fore!,
I have heard about diminished value, and I'm definitely going to pursue it. I'm not quite certain how it will all work out since I had to file with my insurance company due to the fact that Florida's got a $10k minimum on property damage insurance and the damage to my car was looking to exceed $10k. Believe me, though, I'm going to scratch and claw until I get every penny that I'm entitled to. I've been out of my car for 3 months! I've already gotten some good info on diminished value claims from some others here on the board, but any more info that anyone could provide is welcomed.

Brian
Attached Images     
Old 01-08-2005 | 08:36 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Take it to a P car mechanic, they will know what to look at for a car that's been tagged. It's not uncommon for a rear ender to crack the transmission bellhousing. After all, that bronco used your transaxle, brakes and suspension to stop...
Old 01-13-2005 | 11:38 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Update 13JAN:
Called today and car should be ready tomorrow. We'll see. It was supposed to be ready "next week" for two months now. I hope I get it back. Local PCA's going to the dealership this weekend to check out the new Boxster. I'd hate to show up in the Sentra.
Brian
Old 01-19-2005 | 07:51 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Update 19JAN:
Went by the shop today to see the car. They're still waiting on a few brackets that hold the spoiler in place, so until those come in it's still a work in progress. But the car is painted! And it looks good. I really couldn't tell a difference between the new paint and the old, so I was pleased. The first picture makes the difference look more apparent than it did in person. Overall, I'm happy with the job they've done. It'll be good to have it back.
Oh and a side note, went to the local dealership this last saturday with PCA and drove a Cayenne Turbo, a 997 (not an S this time ) and a 2001 Boxster (Didn't get a chance to drive the new one, I was bummed.). There was little little access road near the freeway about two blocks from the dealership that was a great little proving ground. A couple little S-turns mixed with some speeds well in excess of the limit (I know that's irresponsible, and I don't usually drive like a maniac inside cities, but come on. How often do I get to drive a $100k car?). Catered lunch, door prizes, videos. I love driving a Porsche. Even if I showed up in a Sentra.

Brian
Attached Images    
Old 01-19-2005 | 08:36 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Looking good Brian!

Old 01-19-2005 | 09:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, its great to see her (almost) back in one piece!

On the first picture, is it the light or is the rear panel a very, very different shafde than the door and sill?

Looking forward to hearing your back on the road soon. Cheers mate,

--H
Old 01-19-2005 | 10:43 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I noticed that too, but I definitely don't remember it looking that obvious at the shop. I'll certainly have another look when I go to pick it up, but I think the picture of the other side is more indicative of how it really looks. There is a slight difference in color, but it's nothing drastic. The first picture makes it look terrible, but it's actually more like it is in the third picture. You can tell it's been repainted, but only if you know it's been repainted. It's also still really dirty from sitting the shop for the last three months, so I'll take another look (and another pic) after it's been detailed.
Brian
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:04 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have a few pictures of white 964s that I took (the pictures, that is) and it's surprising the differences in shading that show up that you just can not see at all in reality.
Old 01-20-2005 | 08:13 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

My white one has a slight difference in the front right fender and engine lid. I am thinking its from 14 years of heat changing the paint a bit. You dont notice it unless up close.
Old 01-20-2005 | 10:26 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

From: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

Hi Brian

A tip i was shown a while back, is to look at the car colour under a street light at dusk/darkness. It accenuates any differences in shading. My cabrio has had the left door resprayed(before i bought the car), difficult to tell on a bright day, but much easier on an overcast or dark day... I know you are very keen to get your car back, but it is worth being really fussy... They've had it this long... you've been inconvenienced at no fault of your own for this long... I'd be inclined to be the fussiest person on the planet and be 100% about EVERYTHING, including how well the paint matches, get them to respray the whole car if you need to! IT IS A PORSCHE AFTER ALL!!!

It is good to see your car almost finshed though... Good Luck!

Quick Reply: I just want to cry...