Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just want to cry...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 05:16 AM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we see some pics of the trashed car?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:47 AM
JEJ 149
Advanced

Brian,

So sorry to hear about your car, I hope it's back and running as soon as possible. Even more important to hear you are OK - good job these cars are solid!

I look forward to hearing how the repairs progress in future posts.

All the best

Julian
Old 10-17-2004, 03:24 PM
tafkai

brian
understand you must be gutted .
at least youre ok tho'

this probobly wont help ........... but it could have been worse !!
have a look at this link.
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=92712

would rather have a rear-ender than this happen to me
Old 10-17-2004, 03:27 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, a tiny bit of good news. Progressive is springing for a rental car for me while my car's being repaired so that's a good thing. And she's a beauty. A volcano red 2004 Nissan Sentra. A true driver's car. But, on the good side, it does have a few things my C4 doesn't have:
-A/C: my compressor died a few months ago and I decided to let it stay dead until next spring
-keyless entry: Mostly just an excuse for laziness. It only takes about two seconds to lock or unlock the doors on the 964 with the key.
-Ummmm, that's about it.
I'm going to go see my car tomorrow and take some pics, so I'll post them then. The adjustor is also going to go see it then so I'll have more info as well.
Brian
Old 10-17-2004, 03:36 PM
tafkai

if it happened to me , i'd be thinking one thing .......................

if the adjustor writes it off , i'll buy back the salvage and make a track car !!!

( think positive)
Old 10-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Arjan B.
No words for this....... Please let the car check at a certified repair station. More damage could be done by this and you don't even see it. In a collision, parts tends to take more enegry then you see after a crash, so important things should be checked, as engine maounts and gearbox mouts. If they moved from the original position, more damaged can be expected....
So true... I will also check suspension and alignment... you never know the extend of the damage... take it to the a Porsche dealer for mechanical inspection. Also take it to a good body shop... I will push for all new parts and panels... may not be worth it to try to repair the existing ones...

Again, glad you ok, but man! it hurst when stuff like this happens.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:19 AM
Christer
Race Car

Glad you are OK, it almost happened to me this weekend.....
Old 10-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Somebody, who certainly didnt deserve this!!! I admire your attitude Brian, she'll be back on the road again soon!

Cheers mate,

--H
Old 10-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear of the incident as well...always sad to hear that someone's "baby" was violated.

I gave the brakes a good stab the other day, only to witness a mid-sized sedan panicking and swerving onto the shoulder where it shot gravel and debris everywhere...some traffic had come to a stand still and almost caught me off guard.

I asked if the pilot of the aforementioned vehicle was OK - funny that people get angry with you in these situations! Like it was MY fault that they were spacing off and almost hit me??

Just imagine if my old RSA Tail was on there...the horror! (inside joke...only Brian and I will understand)
Old 10-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Gavin
Advanced

If the impact is as heavy as you say, it may need to go on a jig to check the chassis and pick up points etc are all where they should be, the car needs to be completely straight otherwise you will have a difficult job setting up the suspension afterwards. From your own point, if it is possible, get a geometry check before any repairs are carried out to see if any settings are wildly out and if they can be adjusted out before repair. At least then you should know if any of the suspension pick up points have moved (for the cost of an alignment job). My best mate has a bodyshop and repairs alot of porsches (mine included!) and they can absorb a lot of energy in a crash and look okay, when in fact they are not.

Hope this of help.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:19 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Okay, here are the pics. I think with every day that passes it's a little easier for me to take, which is a good thing. So without further ado...
Attached Images      
Old 10-18-2004, 08:33 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Where are my bodywork experts at? What would be the best way to fix these portions here? I would assume that there's no way those panels could be straightened, and the body shop would probably want to just pull them a little and then fill in the gaps with bondo. Is there another way to fix it?
Brian
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2004, 08:41 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

You know Jeff, it's funny that you mention it. I've been thinking about maybe getting some sort of tail since I'm going to definitely have to replace the lid anyway. Man, that RSA tail sure would come in handy right now...

Brian
Old 10-18-2004, 09:00 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Brian,

I agree with Gavin, take it to a collision center and have them check the frame on their machine. A couple inches/degrees off will make setting up your suspension, alignment and corner balance difficult. Again, I'm glad your OK.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

New rear clip, undoubtedly.

Get a consensus of the locals down your way and get it to the "right" shop. The Jacksonville crowd is quite savvy with the ongoings of Porsche related affairs, consult the Crown Region PCA folks...they'll get you straight, a GREAT bunch of people, attend their track events quite frequently.

Quick Reply: I just want to cry...