Sponsored by:

I just want to cry...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005 | 09:45 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian:

I am so sorry about the problems. I agree it may be better to rework the new sections, rather than go for the full respray. You will get issues at the sunroof and the door jams if you continue painting more of the car. If the rest of the car needs paint anyway, that may be the way to go.

The spoiler wiring is relatively easy to troubleshoot, but you will need the factory manual with the diagram and connector and component locator. Your 89 has a few difference with my 92, so I can't be of much help.

If it can't be fixed like new, most insurance companies will make a diminished value payment directly to you. A 964 with collision history and all other factors equal is worth several thousand $$$ less. You may want to consider asking the insurance for a cash settlement. A little folding money will take some of the sting out, but you never really get back to even after a major wreck.

Good luck, and keep your chin up. This too will pass.
Old 02-13-2005 | 11:06 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, thought of you and your car today...any update?

Cheers,

--H
Old 02-13-2005 | 11:48 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Howard! Well, as far as I know the car's still at the local wrench. Called over there last Wednesday and they said they had a few cars they had to get to first, but that they knew what was wrong (I checked to make sure) and that they'd get on it as soon as they could. I'm glad it's finally over there because those guys do great work. I was going to take it to them to check over eventually anyway, but now I'll get it for free. Also, since the work was farmed out by my body shop, I get a lifetime warranty on anything done by the wrench. So I'm going to have them check to make sure the body shop guys did everything they were supposed to do, and that everything's ship shape. I'm going to call over there tomorrow and get an updated estimate of a finish time. If it's early this week, there's no reason I shouldn't be back in MY car by Friday... Here's hoping. Thanks again for everybody's kind comments.

Brian
Old 02-13-2005 | 11:55 PM
Curt911
Pro

is car titled in FL? watch out if it is, you could get stuck with C.O.D.
Old 02-14-2005 | 07:41 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, are you getting a complete respray? Personally I would NOT accept panels that dont match, it will only get worse over time!
Old 02-15-2005 | 01:15 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I'm trying not to go the full respray route, but I will absolutely not accept anything less than all one color. And if it does fade and begin to look cheezy, I have a lifetime warranty on the work done through my insurance company (who have been great about the entire process, by the way). Oh, and I just found out today that one of my accelerometers is bad. Wasn't before the accident, but it'll have to be replaced now. Just another thing to add to the invoice...
Brian
Old 02-22-2005 | 09:25 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Went by the Independent's shop today and everything's up to snuff mechanically. Car goes back to the body shop tomorrow and they told me it shouldn't take more than a day to blend the paint and finish any other little niggling things. Here's hoping...
Brian
Old 02-22-2005 | 10:25 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Brian, it's been a little long in the tooth, but it'll be worth the wait I'm sure.

Good Luck,

Duncan
Old 02-22-2005 | 11:48 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Brian,

Glad to hear you 964 is coming back together. Have you discussed the Deminished Value claim with your Insurance Co.? There is no need to is you Never sell the car ... but if you do ... or Heaven forbid it is ever Totaled, the value will reflect the accident repair depreciation. Sad to say though the repair work may be excellent - the car is no longer "original". Good luck.
Old 02-23-2005 | 12:51 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Jack,
I haven't talked with them yet, but I guess that it's never too early, so I think I'll get after that tomorrow. I'm definitely going to pursue it, though. So you switched over to the world of 968s? How are you likin' it? Did you post a bunch of pictures over on the 968 forum? Looks good in the avatar!
Brian
Old 02-23-2005 | 01:49 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhensarl
everything's up to snuff mechanically
All right!

Congrats, Brian, on getting your baby back together.
Old 02-24-2005 | 12:11 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Brian,

Yes I have moved to a "Water pumper". In my frustration trying to find a a decent 964 Cab Tip to replace my Totaled '91 I came on this '93 968 Cab Tip. At half the price of the same year 964 I thought "Oh well if I don't like it there is always next year". Well it is Very different - and yet the same qualities that make a Porsche what it is ... a Sports car! The 2990 cc Four is very quick, only 10 HP less & near same Torque as the 3.6. Handling is as they say - neutral. But the steering is not as precise and the sounds are Not the same. It is a nice looking car & color ... kinda 993ish front & 928ish rear crafted on a 951??? You don't see many of these - I have been asked twice already "what kind of Porsche is that? is it New? I do miss the 964 and will likely have one again in the future. But for now this is fun and it is almost Top Down weather here so on we go. I'll post some pictures with the Top Down soon.
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:05 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Update 04MAR:
Well, she's finally back!!!
I picked up the car today and it looks and runs beautifully! I looked at the car in the sunlight and I couldn't tell at all that it had been repaired. Man I love driving that car. I think I put 100 miles on it today.
Still some unfinished business, however...
I'm still out what I've paid for the rental car as of yet. The insurance company can't pay me for that until the bodyshop finalizes the paperwork and lets them know exactly how much the repairs cost. Which brings us to the next portion of unfinished business; the diminished value claim. Without going too far in depth, the problem is that the guy who hit me only had $10k in coverage, which is why I put the claim in with my insurance company. My company still needs to see how much the repairs cost, then determine how much the rental cost, and then figure in a diminished value claim. I'm still optimistic about it, but we'll see how it plays out. Thanks everybody for your support and information in this, and especially Jason for the info on diminished value. Pics to follow as soon as she gets a bath and some wax.

P.S. I couldn't hardly wait to start tinkering again, so I threw on the g-pipe today. I love it!
Brian
Brian
Old 03-05-2005 | 01:55 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Congrats Brian! I'm very happy to hear you driving the P-Car again! A couple of good runs and you'll forget all that had happened!

Old 03-05-2005 | 03:12 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Update 04MAR:
Well, she's finally back!!!
I picked up the car today and it looks and runs beautifully!
Brian,

That just lifted my day considerably!

Quick Reply: I just want to cry...