Sponsored by:

I just want to cry...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Just the weight of the rear quarter panel would be great. When I had my car apart I weighed the bumper cover & bar & shields, etc. Thats friggin awesome that you've got all new panels going on. Its going to look brand new.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:10 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I thought about was the resale value just took a dive !
Old 11-30-2004, 09:23 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll see if I can get that rear quarter weight for you, Jason. It's really good to see all the little Porsche stickers on the parts before they go on. Especially after the other guy's insurance company wanted to lowball the estimate with all used parts! I've been out of my car now for about 6 weeks, and it's very good to see it finally coming back together in a big way. Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, can you order the metallic stickers that go on the rear clip? I noticed the replacement part didn't come with the stickers and I'd like it to look as stock as possible.
Brian
Old 11-30-2004, 09:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The last time I checked the only stickers you couldn't buy were the Shell stickers that have been replaced with Mobil 1 stickers but everything else was still available last June(04).

964-006-111-00 engine oil level sticker
Old 11-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OH MY!! ...looks like they're diving in.

Nope, don't do the widebody conversion...the front fenders ARE different...as they are...of course - wider!

You would certainly have to get different wheels, no spacing those puny 16" x 8" wheels out enough, that's fer sure...the 6" wide wheels in front would look lame as well. Keep her stock, you'll have TONS invested in the conversion and have to invest more in bigger wheels, messing with backspacing, etc. - and then the handling characteristics would certainly have to be addressed, the car would have a wider track on the weaker narrow-body trailing arms/front "A"-arms, etc.

...it's not just a "chop and blend in" job.

There's my two cents, for what it's worth.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:05 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Update 03DEC:
Went by the shop again today, and I got some good news and some bad news. First the bad. The quarter panel still isn't in, so they can't go ahead with the welding until that gets here. Now for the good news. I noticed a huge pile of boxes sitting in front of my car. Upon closer inspection, these boxes all carried the Porsche logo. And in them were a slough of new parts! To include: the piece of metalwork that the motor mounts bolt into. This piece was badly rusted on my car, and although I'm not sure that it really sustained any damage in the accident, I've now got a new one, so I'm certainly not arguing. New rear reflector, bumpers, heat shields, the list goes on and on. I even got a new 3rd brake light. Which doesn't make sense to me, but once again, I'm not arguing.
Brian
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, looking forward to logging in and seeing a pic of your baby all back together and looking pristine again...

Thanks for the pics. All the best mate,

--H
Old 12-04-2004, 03:07 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Your car looks like it's ogling all those new goodies!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:19 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Brian:

Good choice on staying away from the flares! In addition to the cost and other problems already mentioned, you gain weight and wind drag. You would have a slower car that gets worse fuel mileage. The extra weight will make it handle worse unless you get the suspension and wheel upgrades as well. A wider car is more difficult to maneuver in tight spaces, and flares are prone to getting scraped. No disrespect intented to the turbo owners. We are envious, in fact, but unless you get the turbo motor as well, the standard flares are the way to go.

It looks like your shop is treating your right. You car will not be better than new, but it will be a sight better that it was before the wreck.

Can you ask, and report back on what they are doing for corrosion protection where the welding burns the galvanizing off? I am sure they doing something, but I am out of date and curious what the pros are using these days.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:09 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I'll try to remember to ask what they do to replace that galvanizing. As far as the flares are concerned, I just decided they weren't for me. Too much work to make it look right, and I would definitely have wanted to replace the front flares as well and it would have been way too much money to make it right.
Brian
Old 12-21-2004, 01:07 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Update 21DEC:
Springer: After they are done welding they replace the galvanizing with a spray coating that replaces the galvanizing.
Jason: I'll get the weight of the quarter for you. I asked at the shop and they told me they don't have a scale, but I can get the shipping weight for you.

I called in today and was told that the other rear quarter had finally come in. I was elated because I'd been told that was the hangup, and the reason that it's been two months and I still don't have my car back. Sure enough, when I got to the shop the other rear quarter was in place and fitted, but I then found out that now they're waiting on the left rear taillight! Argh! Apparently it's floating around in the ether somewhere between here and Zuffenhausen. So once again we're playing a waiting game. They told me the part could be here today, or it could be here in two weeks. I was really hoping to have the car back before Christmas, but obviously that's not going to happen.
Attached Images    
Old 12-21-2004, 04:11 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Jason: I'll get the weight of the quarter for you. I asked at the shop and they told me they don't have a scale, but I can get the shipping weight for you.
Don't worry about it, I was just curious to know how much potential weight savings there is.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:07 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Update 03JAN:
The parts are finally in... almost. Quarter panel finally came in and everything's now welded in place. Apparently the left taillight was broken when it got to the shop, so we're still waiting for a new one to come in, but thankfully that's not holding up the progress. While I was there today the guy was sanding down the bondo over the welds, getting everything ready for paint. Hopefully it'll get painted some time this week, and then some time next week the mechanical checks will be done. I really can't wait. 3 months!!! Argh!
Brian
Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, thanks for the update and pics. I feel somewhat guilty each time I enjoy your pictorial updates as I feel my couple of minutes of good reading comes at such huge expense to you!

I am so looking forward to the day I log-in to see...ITS ALL DONE!!!!

kEEP YOUR CHIN UP MATE!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

They do not cover the engine while working on the car??? Will they detail the engine bay afterwards??

Did they painted the inside of the fender wells? Do they apply so coating to the inside of the weld to avoid long term rust in that area????

Sorry about the questions but just curious...

Quick Reply: I just want to cry...