c
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:11 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Default Been trying to keep up with this story

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Update 04MAR:
Well, she's finally back!!!
I picked up the car today and it looks and runs beautifully! I looked at the car in the sunlight and I couldn't tell at all that it had been repaired. Man I love driving that car. I think I put 100 miles on it today.
Still some unfinished business, however...
I'm still out what I've paid for the rental car as of yet. The insurance company can't pay me for that until the bodyshop finalizes the paperwork and lets them know exactly how much the repairs cost. Which brings us to the next portion of unfinished business; the diminished value claim. Without going too far in depth, the problem is that the guy who hit me only had $10k in coverage, which is why I put the claim in with my insurance company. My company still needs to see how much the repairs cost, then determine how much the rental cost, and then figure in a diminished value claim. I'm still optimistic about it, but we'll see how it plays out. Thanks everybody for your support and information in this, and especially Jason for the info on diminished value. Pics to follow as soon as she gets a bath and some wax.

P.S. I couldn't hardly wait to start tinkering again, so I threw on the g-pipe today. I love it!
Brian
Brian

I had a claim against my own insurance while riding a motorcycle and subsequent crash. I'm giving up riding and getting a 964 soon. The kid that hit me only had 50K on his liability coverage and my medical was over 150K-- had to use my underinsured coverage to make up the difference. Good luck with your claim- hope they can make it right, or close to right all the way around.
Old 03-05-2005 | 04:12 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but here we go again. Just got done washing, polishing, and waxing the car and there are some good and some bad points.
The good: the paint and general finish on the rear end are excellent. All the panels meet the way they should, and it's very difficult to tell that any work has been done. Oh, and I deleted the "Carrera 4" emblem, and I really like that too.
The bad: the paint on the hood is utterly disgusting. "What?" you say, "I didn't think they even touched the hood?" Exactly. The car sat in a dusty, humid shop with dirt, metal shavings from other cars, and God-only-knows-what else flying through the air, and eventually landing on the hood of my car. Apparently none of this bothered the guys at the shop because they just let this layer of gunk sink into the paint. I'm a bit obsessive about the paint on the car, so I'd wash it every week and polish and wax it every month. When I got the hit the paint was smooth to the touch and looked great. Now it has little pits all over, and even after a coat of polish and wax it's still rough to the touch. I'm not happy. So it looks like I'll be leaving the car at the body shop this weekend so they can get back to work on it this coming week. So much for me getting it back. As far as the mechanicals, however, wow. Every time I take it out I remember a little bit more why I love this car so much. Especially with the new G-pipe. Yowch. Thanks again, guys. Oh, and I'll snap some pics later to post...
Brian
Old 03-05-2005 | 05:25 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Meguiars Clay bar can be pretty good for the problem you described, I've done my Rangie with it and was quite pleased with the result.
Old 03-05-2005 | 06:36 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

That's what I'm thinking, no big deal really, but I don't want to spend hours trying to get it back to the way it was when it's not my fault that it's the way it is. Did that make sense? Anyway, there are a few other little things that need to be fixed, so it needs to go back regardless. Thanks for the tip, Kris.
Brian
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:17 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Kind of predictable that you should have this happen, Brian.

I've always found that it's the bits of the car that the paintshop doesn't touch that end up suffering as a result of having the work done. You'd think that such a place would realise the need to protect paintwork really, wouldn't you?
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:37 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I would, John, I really would. The funny part is that the parts of the car they did work on look really great! They even did a great job of detailing the interior. Thankfully the parts that need to be fixed are minor, and shouldn't take much time at all to fix. And I really don't think the shop manager will give me much hassle at all. So it will all be fixed, and my car will actually be better than new, since it now has a brand new A/C compressor, expansion valve, receiver/dryer, an entirely new spoiler assembly, and a new $1700 longitudinal sensor. I'm seeing the light at the end of that tunnel.

Brian
Old 03-06-2005 | 10:49 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

On the road again!!! Congrats!!
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:13 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Update 23MAR:
Well, it's been just over 5 months since the first post, but the ordeal is almost over. The car's back, and in real good shape. It's running great, and for the most part, it looks great as well. There are a few little niggling annoyances, a little scratch here, some roughness there, but I can honestly say that the car is better than when it was hit. Now I'm waiting on reimbursement for the rental car (about $2500) and my settlement for dimunition of value, so we'll see how that all goes. Thanks everybody for your encouragement and words of wisdom as I was getting the whole thing straightened out. It just feels good to be back in the car. I'll give her a wash and a shine and post some "after" pics this weekend. Thanks again, everybody.

Brian
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:56 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Brian,

Glad you got her back and this ordeal is over.

Old 03-24-2005 | 03:37 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I would, John, I really would. The funny part is that the parts of the car they did work on look really great! They even did a great job of detailing the interior. Thankfully the parts that need to be fixed are minor, and shouldn't take much time at all to fix. And I really don't think the shop manager will give me much hassle at all. So it will all be fixed, and my car will actually be better than new, since it now has a brand new A/C compressor, expansion valve, receiver/dryer, an entirely new spoiler assembly, and a new $1700 longitudinal sensor. I'm seeing the light at the end of that tunnel.

Brian
$1700.00 for the longitudinal sensor? Seriously? I have to replace both my longitudinal sensor and another one . I have not yet looked into pricing.
Old 03-29-2005 | 12:21 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

All right ladies and gentlemen, here she is. After recent polish and waxing I think she looks absolutely beautiful. I'll post a few more tomorrow when I have a bit more time. Brian
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2005 | 01:31 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

All right ladies and gentlemen, here she is. After recent polish and waxing I think she looks absolutely beautiful. I'll post a few more tomorrow when I have a bit more time. Brian
Woohhooooo!!!!
Old 03-29-2005 | 02:04 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Wow!
Old 03-29-2005 | 04:10 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Congrats Brian ... and many Happy Day motorings to you. I am really missing my 964 now

Quick Reply: I just want to cry...