Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 “Barn Find”

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 06:26 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

So the belts are an easy and extremely relevant fix. You really don't want the main belt to break while you are out there driving. I always carry an extra set of belts in the car, just in case.

Exhaust leaks at the connections are not uncommon and don't require any major replacements. If the bolts and nuts are not too rusted, you may need to able to losen and reposition the clamps to address leaks.

Overall easy fix!
Old 06-11-2024, 08:31 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
So the belts are an easy and extremely relevant fix. You really don't want the main belt to break while you are out there driving. I always carry an extra set of belts in the car, just in case.

Exhaust leaks at the connections are not uncommon and don't require any major replacements. If the bolts and nuts are not too rusted, you may need to able to losen and reposition the clamps to address leaks.

Overall easy fix!
By main belt are you referring to the alternator belt?
Here’s to some belt and clamp jobs! Fingers crossed the original exhausts have more life left in them.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 06-11-2024 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:21 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

There are three belts, two if you don't have A/C. The two main belts drive the alternator and the engine cooling fan. They are not interchangeable and have two different part numbers. Tension is established with shims that sit in between the two pulley halfs. Once you take it apart, it becomes obvious.
There is a belt sensor, basically a small wheel that sits on the fan belt. If the belt breaks, the wheel stops spinning and you get a warning light. Those sensors can go bad and start squealing so check its condition while you are in there.
The following users liked this post:
mark lintott (06-25-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:52 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Uncovering new issues is becoming something of a game at this point!

1.This wire under the dash is cut, unsure of its purpose. Could it be the oil level gauge cable?

2. The glovebox lock is bumping into the upper trim. Common issue on these cars?

3. The upper brake light is not working for some reason but the rest of the tails are good to go!
4. When I first started it up the HVAC blower turned on with the switch. Now nothing happens when attempting to test them
5. The loud engine squeak seems to be coming from somewhere around the cooling fan. New belts coming this weekend!
It only occur when sharply depressing the throttle. At idle things seek to be relatively okay.
6. Loose drivers side mirror trim is not fully secured posing a potential risk of water damage.
7. The high beams do not stay only, they only come on when pulling the stalk
8. When turning the steering wheel it makes a lightly scraping sound somewhere between the actual wheel and the steering column.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:40 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Regarding your 8. Issue, I have had the same for years when outside temp is below 35. Never figured out what's causing it but have not had seen any issue so I am leaving it alone. I try to leave over 30 year old airbags untouched. Yep, I am scared I will set the off...
Old 06-24-2024, 11:20 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Can anyone vaguely point to what causes a squeaking noise when tapping the throttle?
The vehicle is fairly smooth at idle.
I lubed the belt sensor which eliminated some of the noise I was experiencing. But it seems to be coming from elsewhere in the engine bay. Somewhere in the cooling fan region!
Old 06-25-2024, 02:39 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Uncovering new issues is becoming something of a game at this point!

1.This wire under the dash is cut, unsure of its purpose. Could it be the oil level gauge cable?

2. The glovebox lock is bumping into the upper trim. Common issue on these cars?

3. The upper brake light is not working for some reason but the rest of the tails are good to go!
4. When I first started it up the HVAC blower turned on with the switch. Now nothing happens when attempting to test them
5. The loud engine squeak seems to be coming from somewhere around the cooling fan. New belts coming this weekend!
It only occur when sharply depressing the throttle. At idle things seek to be relatively okay.
6. Loose drivers side mirror trim is not fully secured posing a potential risk of water damage.
7. The high beams do not stay only, they only come on when pulling the stalk
8. When turning the steering wheel it makes a lightly scraping sound somewhere between the actual wheel and the steering column.

1 Dunno but its close to the alarm (?) module under the dash so may be related. Others will know more than me on this
2 Hinges bent somehow? The catch looks like its in the right place so could only be the hinges are not aligned properly or bent.
3 Possibly a wire disconnected in the roof headliner at the back behind the light. There's a zipped section of headliner that gives you access to this wiring and the sunroof motor. Try in there first.
4 Blown fuse...?
5 Sounds like the fan bearing is on its way out. You'll be lucky if its just belts IMHO. Is there a fan blade scraping on the housing? Check for scoring on the inside of the fan housing.
6 Easy to re-fix I think. Take the mirror off, clean and re-fit tightly to stop water ingress
7 Others will know more but could be a relay in the central electric in the frunk. Failing that a possibly failing indicator/dip switch stalk - requires replacement of the whole main switch on the steering column - easy but a bit spendy
8 I had this and actually my steering wheel hub was bent somehow and fouling on the plastic covers behind the wheel. I had to replace the wheel. You might be lucky and find the plastic covers are mis-aligned or not fitted correctly. Very annoying squeaking or scraping noise.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Abe Froman (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 08:23 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Can anyone vaguely point to what causes a squeaking noise when tapping the throttle?
The vehicle is fairly smooth at idle.
I lubed the belt sensor which eliminated some of the noise I was experiencing. But it seems to be coming from elsewhere in the engine bay. Somewhere in the cooling fan region!
Is it rpm-dependent, ie does the pitch or intensity change with changing rpm? It could be the power steering pump belt or the ac compressor belt.
I once had a deteriorating alternator fan rubbing against the housing that cause a squeaking noise.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:45 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by cjoenck
Is it rpm-dependent, ie does the pitch or intensity change with changing rpm? It could be the power steering pump belt or the ac compressor belt.
I once had a deteriorating alternator fan rubbing against the housing that cause a squeaking noise.
Thanks for pointing me in a direction!
It happens around 2,000 RPM.
Will check again today - put some miles on it to see what comes to the surface but don’t want to risk any damage before changing the belts.

Quick Reply: 1989 “Barn Find”