Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 “Barn Find”

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 12:13 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Brake light madness and frunk latch madness would be about as long and exciting as "ground strap madness"....

So get those done- get some tires on the car...- and go rip around a while and judge the "leaks" by the size of the actual puddle. Of it doesn't splash when you step in it,,,,it's not a leak.

90% of the "leaks" or better stated- weeps- are doable on the outside of the motor with the motor in the car.

Every shop knows that new Porsche buyers are paranoid about oil drips- so they all do and say the same things - "you need a reseal....for 30k"
This is 100% bs. Neither you nor anyone else should do a "reseal". If you have a hole in the side of your motor....yes please fill that with bubble gum, or i hear that baking soda and super glue can do wonders....but the typical reseal, should happen when the engine is out and it's being rebuilt down to the crank...for that same 30k (or maybe a little more now that Porsche has raised their parts cost)...but most people buying the reseal bs are paying 30k to not drip oil on their garage floor. When they could just add a little oil every so often. And to further the point, those that pay that are always very noticeably upset when a few months later "it's leaking again"....because it's not leaking, it's weeping. And it's normal and common.

Yes - some of us have had a 964, including me, that hasn't lost so much as a drop in 10years...mine does drip now...but i had a long run. It could be luck, it could be taking ones time and torquing things properly and not over torquing- whatever- it doesn't matter. If it doesn't splash when you step in it- it's not a leak.

Further- if it doesn't splash a lot- stick a cookie sheet under the engine when you park and just monitor the oil level a bit....as under this circumstance, you have a ton of time to decide which where and what to do. Not to worry...

I'm excited for you Joel...this is going to be fun! Keep on it. Now that it's running, just use it as your daily and it'll tell you what you need to know to begin the sorting process...
The following users liked this post:
Abe Froman (06-02-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 12:31 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Brake light madness and frunk latch madness would be about as long and exciting as "ground strap madness"....

So get those done- get some tires on the car...- and go rip around a while and judge the "leaks" by the size of the actual puddle. Of it doesn't splash when you step in it,,,,it's not a leak.

90% of the "leaks" or better stated- weeps- are doable on the outside of the motor with the motor in the car.

Every shop knows that new Porsche buyers are paranoid about oil drips- so they all do and say the same things - "you need a reseal....for 30k"
This is 100% bs. Neither you nor anyone else should do a "reseal". If you have a hole in the side of your motor....yes please fill that with bubble gum, or i hear that baking soda and super glue can do wonders....but the typical reseal, should happen when the engine is out and it's being rebuilt down to the crank...for that same 30k (or maybe a little more now that Porsche has raised their parts cost)...but most people buying the reseal bs are paying 30k to not drip oil on their garage floor. When they could just add a little oil every so often. And to further the point, those that pay that are always very noticeably upset when a few months later "it's leaking again"....because it's not leaking, it's weeping. And it's normal and common.

Yes - some of us have had a 964, including me, that hasn't lost so much as a drop in 10years...mine does drip now...but i had a long run. It could be luck, it could be taking ones time and torquing things properly and not over torquing- whatever- it doesn't matter. If it doesn't splash when you step in it- it's not a leak.

Further- if it doesn't splash a lot- stick a cookie sheet under the engine when you park and just monitor the oil level a bit....as under this circumstance, you have a ton of time to decide which where and what to do. Not to worry...

I'm excited for you Joel...this is going to be fun! Keep on it. Now that it's running, just use it as your daily and it'll tell you what you need to know to begin the sorting process...
Theres something comforting about sage advice. Almost like a warm towel after a Swedish Polar Bear Challenge.
Here’s to the first test drive in a few hours!
Rusted brake rotors is the X factor. It’ll go..but will it STOP?
TBC after ground strap madness and battery terminal madness.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 05-31-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:39 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

99 problems and a frunk is one.
the frunk opened with a second set of hands.
now the handle had to be removed to open it with the cable in the cabin.
and it won’t latch.
putting a dent in my plans for a test drive.
any obvious cause (and solution) based on these photos?

Last edited by Abe Froman; 05-31-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:16 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

The latch looks bent which may prevent it from unhooking when you pull the cable.
Old 06-01-2024, 09:22 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

For those who may have this issue in the future: it appears a piece snapped off the frunk release handle. This caused the latch to remain closed which bent the upper frunk catch. Thanks to the good folks at Autobahn for pointing out this issue. The situation serves as a helpful reminder to install an emergency release which wasn’t included on 1989 model cars

Last edited by Abe Froman; 06-01-2024 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:14 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Like hummingbirds flocking south for the winter, parts continue to cross both land and sea on their journey towards my door.
On to the seatbelts: both front belts are nearly torn in two (and one in the rear…is this a common 964 issue?).
After searching high and low, I can find no comprehensive guide to actually removing the darn things!
Any tips, dear friends?

Last edited by Abe Froman; 06-05-2024 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:47 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Old 06-06-2024, 11:32 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

I watched this several times. He skips the part stumping me: how to remove the trim panel (which?) to access the seat belts.
His other video was helpful in solving the locked up belt issue.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 06-07-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:34 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

The filthy engine bay mentioned in the original post cleaned up without much effort.

Replaced the foregone shift **** with an example in better shape.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 06-07-2024 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2024, 09:08 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
I watched this several times. He skips the part stumping me: how to remove the trim panel (which?) to access the seat belts.
His other video was helpful in solving the locked up belt issue.
You have to remove the upper trim piece, just below the 1/4 window, there 3 or 4 screws, that gives you access to the panel. If I remember correctly, it comes up and out.

Obviously, you need to disconnect the mounting point on the inner rocker to get it through the hole in the panel.

Last edited by Vegas993; 06-07-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Abe Froman (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 11:02 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

A tiny broken thread may be the source of a somewhat complicated repair. Is there a way to deal with this in the meantime?
Old 06-08-2024, 03:19 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd weld a nut to that short bolt.
Abe Froman (06-08-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 09:13 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

A 99¢ thread adapter did the trick as a temporary measure

Back out on the open road!

The following 2 users liked this post by Abe Froman:
Ken D (06-11-2024), Spyder_2011 (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 10:23 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

The shop who flushed my fuel lines noted the exhausts are “leaking from all the connections.” This, along with old squeaky belts, seem to be the source of the weak engine note.
Has anyone experienced these sort of leaks and is there a repair short of fully replacing the exhaust system?
Breathing exhaust fumes seems like an unhealthy motoring experience!
Old 06-11-2024, 10:57 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Most of the connections are circular clamps with a sealing ring, you can replace those as a necessary. For a bit more exhaust note and also some weight savings, you can replace the primary muffler at the rear of the car with a cup pipe while you're at it.

Here's a good diagram to help you identify the parts needed, you can obviously find them here in the States. https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diagr...-converter-445

Quick Reply: 1989 “Barn Find”