Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 “Barn Find”

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:38 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Great project, and good on you for taking this on. I suggest peeling back some of the carpeting to see what’s going on under there. You want to make sure the carpets are dry and there’a no rust occurring underneath. There are replacement carpets available from AppBiz and Silver Lake, and that may be the best solution to eliminate any unpleasant odors. I did an RS Carpet install in my 993, This may be in your future.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:38 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Great project, and good on you for taking this on. I suggest peeling back some of the carpeting to see what’s going on under there. You want to make sure the carpets are dry and there’a no rust occurring underneath. There are replacement carpets available from AppBiz and Silver Lake, and that may be the best solution to eliminate any unpleasant odors. I did an RS Carpet install in my 993, This may be in your future.

Those leads are helpful. Here’s what I see so far.
My initial plans are to give this thing a thorough steam cleaning inside and in the engine bay (if that’s safe). It’s so weird how Porsche just set layers of carpets inside the car!
New carpets is a definite in the future. “Ain’t no fan of tan!” as they say(?)….
Gorgeous build, by the way! Those are some sweet buckets.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 05-17-2024 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:43 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

Searching for Goughary. Are you out there? Your inbox is full. I am interested in his diff lock seal kits if he has any left for sale.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:42 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

On the floorpans are *thick* foam pads, for sound deadening and leveling. Remove them to make sure they are not water soaked. There are lighter replacement options.
Invert your ABS brain in the frunk to avoid water ingress. Those modules are stupid expensive.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:54 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Really I've not seen anything so far that would be of great concern - other than the need for a lot of elbow grease to clean it all up. We can't experience the smell of course from the pics! The under dash is how they came, the front trunk carpet likewise. The engine looks complete but follow all the advice above on starting. Even the interior - seats etc - looks pretty good. A decent shop could probably bring that leather back to life and looking decent for not a lot of outlay. Painted D90's are a bit disturbing but again could probably be stripped if you wanted to keep them....

Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2024, 09:25 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Searching for Goughary. Are you out there? Your inbox is full. I am interested in his diff lock seal kits if he has any left for sale.
I'm here. I cleaned out my inbox a little to make some room. Send me a msg and let's discuss if you need them.

Sometimes we get into these projects and it feels like all the work needs to be done yesterday...when maybe enough work needs to be done to get the car to a baseline to enjoy it...and then over time other things can be done when you get there...but if we do all of it now, another two years goes buy without driving!
The following 3 users liked this post by Goughary:
Abe Froman (05-17-2024), JP-"S" (05-23-2024), jpoint (06-24-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:50 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
On the floorpans are *thick* foam pads, for sound deadening and leveling. Remove them to make sure they are not water soaked. There are lighter replacement options.
Invert your ABS brain in the frunk to avoid water ingress. Those modules are stupid expensive.
can you point me where I can locate this module? Electronics are my big concern - being “old modern technology” and everything.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:55 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by mark lintott
Really I've not seen anything so far that would be of great concern - other than the need for a lot of elbow grease to clean it all up. We can't experience the smell of course from the pics! The under dash is how they came, the front trunk carpet likewise. The engine looks complete but follow all the advice above on starting. Even the interior - seats etc - looks pretty good. A decent shop could probably bring that leather back to life and looking decent for not a lot of outlay. Painted D90's are a bit disturbing but again could probably be stripped if you wanted to keep them....

Enjoy!
Thats refreshing to know about the interior! If it’s like anything else on this thread I’m probably overly concerned. Basically smells like a car whose windows haven’t been rolled down in over a decade. Keep in mind I’m comparing all of this to my other 911 (and our “regular” cars)…

That one is a 2002 with 110K miles on it in quite good condition. Arizona garage-kept car which has seen regular use. Acquired it 3 weeks ago. That’s what inspired me to get this 964 back on the road. Feeling sad for the 996 as the 964 has taken my heart now.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 05-17-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:55 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

can you point me where I can locate this module? Electronics are my big concern - being “old modern technology” and everything.
Front trunk, right side. It is mounted with the connector on top. The wiring loom wicks water into the connector (from the wheelwell), and into the module. There is enough wiring length to invert it and attach it "heads down".
Old 05-17-2024, 12:25 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by Goughary
I'm here. I cleaned out my inbox a little to make some room. Send me a msg and let's discuss if you need them.

Sometimes we get into these projects and it feels like all the work needs to be done yesterday...when maybe enough work needs to be done to get the car to a baseline to enjoy it...and then over time other things can be done when you get there...but if we do all of it now, another two years goes buy without driving!
I’d like to go on the record as saying you put my mind at ease!
Old 05-18-2024, 10:06 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

I’d like to go on the record as saying you put my mind at ease!
I also have a 996. And when it breaks, i get worried. It's newer, has water in it, and it's complicated.

I have a 964, and when it breaks, i reach into a toolbox full of mixtures of tools from the 50s through to harbor freight crap i bought last week. Choose the hammer and duct tape that seems to fit the best, and fiddle. Somehow it gets fixed.

These cars are one step away from a 60s vw beetle. If you keep that in mind, it'll always be fine. "Just a bucket of bolts"...nothing complicated.
The following 4 users liked this post by Goughary:
2swoosh (05-19-2024), 964Luftballoon (05-19-2024), Abe Froman (05-18-2024), Ralph3. (05-18-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 06:03 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Okay, frunk issues:
A) The frunk doesn’t pop open - requires a second hand.
When I close it, it latches but doesn’t fully seat and seal closed. The latch on the hood is missing one of the two nuts and moves around.
Does anyone know the size nut required for the hood catch?
B) This trim piece fell off - trying to screw it back into the frame but it’s not doing anything. Is there a simple fix for that?
Old 05-22-2024, 06:28 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

You need to get yourself the 964 parts catalog. It's a free download from Porsche:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/

I think you are missing a M6x16 pan head screw in the picture you have...
The two screws holding the front locking mechanism are M6x30
Easy fix
Old 05-23-2024, 01:02 AM
JP-"S"
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice car Mr. Sausage King of Chicago. They are quite choice, if you have the means I highly suggest picking one up.

Obviously, im a bit of a fan of the movie. When I was the high bidder on my 964 and it came time to license it my wife asked "should we see if it's available " long story short, it was and here we are.

more proof that great ideas are made over a bottle or two of wine.

The following users liked this post:
Abe Froman (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 09:53 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by JP-"S"
Nice car Mr. Sausage King of Chicago. They are quite choice, if you have the means I highly suggest picking one up.

Obviously, im a bit of a fan of the movie. When I was the high bidder on my 964 and it came time to license it my wife asked "should we see if it's available " long story short, it was and here we are.

more proof that great ideas are made over a bottle or two of wine.
Now you gave me an idea.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 05-23-2024 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JP-"S" (05-23-2024)

Quick Reply: 1989 “Barn Find”