Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Relay Kit: plug-and-play no-cut integrated w/Central Electric... interest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 04:45 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by r-mm
This is not a dumb question.

Using the PP adapter (which I used for a year) means the factory wiring scheme with no relays remains. Porsche used relays for most high amp circuits but not the headlights. Stock, headlight power runs unfused from the battery to the ignition switch to the headlight switch to the fuse box to the headlight buckets, all using 1.5mm2 aka approx 16ga wiring. This means the full amperage of your headlights runs thru all those components and that the wiring is more or less at its limit and wattage can not be increased safely.

Common practice for high amp circuits is to use a relay thereby keeping current out of the switches, reducing the length of the wiring and allowing you to pick the size of the wire from the relay to the headlights. My kit adds relays and uses 14ga and 12ga wiring for low/high beams and a ceramic socket.

Net result is less stress on expensive switches and more safety margin should you choose to increase headlight wattage. I myself am running 80/100w H4s.
One more detail (for your advertising notes!)- the relatively high current on the stock circuit results in a good bit of electrical arcing inside the headlight switch. The arcing corrodes the contacts, increases the resistance through the switch, and drops the voltage that arrives at the headlights even further. Same thing happens with our power seat switches- the internal arcing from that relatively high current eventually makes the switch inoperable.

All these switches can be taken apart to polish the contacts, but kind of a pain. I picked up a used 993 headlight switch to experiment with and the contacts were so bad that some circuits had no continuity.

As r-mm says above, this kit moves the high current from the headlight switch to 2x 30 amp relays. So your headlight switch will likely last forever, and those relays could probably take 1 million headlight clicks before wearing out

Last edited by -nick; 02-19-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:52 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

Thanks for everyone's patience - Porsche finally got me the parts I needed from Germany, so after some assembly work I'll be ready to invoice then ship to everyone who has PM'd me. If I didn't say it before: the install instructions will be attached to the invoice which will come from "Ricambi Nutmeg LLC".
Old 02-22-2021, 09:19 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

Super nice kit, looking forward to getting it in the car. I even had the correct tool on hand. Thanks again Rus!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Started putting the kit in.
I have quite some experience in 911 wiring, having redone the complete wiring in 2 cars, and extensively restored/modified it in a few others.
I had looked into exactly what r-mm has done and abandoned the idea as too time consuming in the planning phase.

All the above to say, the kit is a home run. Seriously good.
Bravo.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:43 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all I'm pleased to hear you like it. I have contacted and shipped to everyone on my list. If you feel you contacted me and didn't get one, please speak up now as I have parts for three more but don't have plans for another run at the moment. There were a few who contacted me and I PM'd emailed invoiced but no response. The invoice comes from my company Ricambi Nutmeg, please check your spam etc.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:58 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Got my kit and it’s fantastic.

I was wondering, now that I have this kit, what bulbs would you guys recommend to maximize the H4’s?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:59 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I run the 80/100. My instinct is 100/130 would be okay but I'd advise anyone doing that to keep a close eye on things.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (01-09-2024)
Old 02-27-2021, 04:10 AM
pmartinslx
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... please speak up now as I have parts for three more but don't have plans for another run at the moment. ....
PM sent. Thank you
Old 02-27-2021, 12:43 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Responded thanks. I am a few days out on some terminals I ran low on but ought to be ready to ship the final three kits this coming week.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Got my kit and it’s fantastic.

I was wondering, now that I have this kit, what bulbs would you guys recommend to maximize the H4’s?
I run the 80/100. My instinct is 100/130 would be okay but I'd advise anyone doing that to keep a close eye on things.
i have hella 80/100 in my H4s on my 71 with relays. Wiring does not get warm at all (from relay to light through fender different obviously than a 964).

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-27-2021, 07:46 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

I am also running the Hella 80/100 bulbs from Amazon. I've run Osram Rallye 90/100 bulbs before but they are harder to find and the difference isn't huge.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (01-09-2024)
Old 02-27-2021, 10:49 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

My harness showed up today. Looks as great as everyone else has said. Still need to assemble my headlights with the French lenses, and score the pin tool for this. Hopefully will install next weekend.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:46 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I have one more kit...
Old 03-15-2021, 02:19 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

All spoken for - thanks guys this was a rewarding process!

I've been making some tools for the Alfa twin cam (TDC finder, Engine Stand Adapter) and compared to those, sourcing parts for this kit was a bit of a performance so I don't have immediate plans to run another batch but if I get deposits from maybe a half dozen others I'd be happy to consider it.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:21 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Finally got around to installing the kit with some minor revisions after gathering some extra pieces. My installation was a little different than the kit instructions because my car's CE had only one open position for the new relays. After conferring with Rus about this I decided to uninstall the daylight running light relay plug and stow it to free up another position in the CE box. So the headlight relays are in position 62 and 63 in my box. When I installed my H4's I had decided that I wanted to make the city lights functional. When these kits became available it seemed like a good time to incorporate this feature along with the headlight relays After some thought and research I purchased a euro headlight harness from Mike at Autobahn along with some euro reflectors. Due to my additions it took me a couple of days to complete my installation. Since I was hooking up the city lights I chose to remove my bumper cover and rout the the wires the same as the factory wire bundle. I also discovered that the euro turn signals use a different plug and bulb holder than the north American cars. Another order from Autobahn and as soon as I receive that I should be good to go. Currently the city lights, high and low beams and fog lights all work correctly, so I must have followed the instructions and I am pleased with the result.

Thanks to Rus for putting these kits together.

Quick Reply: Headlight Relay Kit: plug-and-play no-cut integrated w/Central Electric... interest?