Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Relay Kit: plug-and-play no-cut integrated w/Central Electric... interest?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 07:39 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

The filament is in a different location/orientation in a 9004 vs a 9007. Since the reflector is designed around a specific filament location, you aren't going to gain by switching from one to the other.
Assuming you do a ceramic socket and use the relays, you could run an uprated 9004 bulb in your H5s, although there will be more light scatter than with an H4.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Kit received.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:37 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

Hi all

I got in touch with the next ten people on my list and - Snowpocalypse aside - will be mailing out kits Monday morning. Seems I've depleted Porsche USA's stash of relay bases and I'm now waiting on some from Germany. Thanks for your patience as these come to me.

BTW if anyone doesn't have the required crimper I'm happy to sell my old one as I upgraded as part of this project. $30 on amazon, I'll throw it in with the kit for $15
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-31-2021, 06:17 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Crimper is spoken for thanks.

If anyone is looking to go a bit upmarket - I did a bunch of research on crimp tools and found a system/brand I wasn't familiar with but like a lot. Pressmaster (of Sweden) offers the MCT which is a parallel ratchet action crimp tool that has many many dies. The frame itself is quite reasonably priced. The dies range from medium to insane price but they too are class acts. They have dies for weather pack, power timer, open barrel, ferrule etc. Waytek doesn't carry the full line but they have the most common ones.

Frame
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/560/...ng-Tool-Frame/

Die needed for headlight terminals in my kit
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/567/...Non-Insulated/

All above actually made in Sweden btw.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:09 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Dies seem to be the cost driver. I have started looking for dies for insulated terminals to fit the Pro’sKit crimping tool.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:48 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Received mine. No instructions?
Old 02-02-2021, 12:49 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Please see the invoice they are an attachment to that.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:52 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Ooooh.
Many thanks!
Old 02-05-2021, 11:43 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Hi all -

I've shipped out the ten kits for which I have parts for and ordered parts for another dozen which will cover all those who have expressed interest to me but haven't been served yet - about 9 of you. If anyone else wants to get in line, PM over your email and shipping address and I'll add you to the list. I'm hoping to have parts in from Porsche Germany in ~2 wks and will then be able to ship out immediately.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:11 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by r-mm
Hi all -

I've shipped out the ten kits for which I have parts for and ordered parts for another dozen which will cover all those who have expressed interest to me but haven't been served yet - about 9 of you. If anyone else wants to get in line, PM over your email and shipping address and I'll add you to the list. I'm hoping to have parts in from Porsche Germany in ~2 wks and will then be able to ship out immediately.

I believe this includes me, and I am pretty stoked about that fact.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:13 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Yes Sir you are on the list. And for the record I once owned a SR20DET powered Fastback. I was younger and a great deal stupider and managed to blow the engine on the way to Long Beach Airport to pick up my then GF now wife... we were gonna road trip home to CT. Oh well live and learn
Old 02-05-2021, 12:27 PM
brabuse430
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, sorry to sound like an idiot. Just trying to figure out what this kit does?

So I have an H4 kit ready to install, just need to get the trim rings painted body color. I bought the H5 to H4 adaptor from Pelican Parts. I figure yours is a superior option, but what is the main difference between your kit and a pelican adaptor?
Old 02-05-2021, 12:37 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

This is not a dumb question.

Using the PP adapter (which I used for a year) means the factory wiring scheme with no relays remains. Porsche used relays for most high amp circuits but not the headlights. Stock, headlight power runs unfused from the battery to the ignition switch to the headlight switch to the fuse box to the headlight buckets, all using 1.5mm2 aka approx 16ga wiring. This means the full amperage of your headlights runs thru all those components and that the wiring is more or less at its limit and wattage can not be increased safely.

Common practice for high amp circuits is to use a relay thereby keeping current out of the switches, reducing the length of the wiring and allowing you to pick the size of the wire from the relay to the headlights. My kit adds relays and uses 14ga and 12ga wiring for low/high beams and a ceramic socket.

Net result is less stress on expensive switches and more safety margin should you choose to increase headlight wattage. I myself am running 80/100w H4s.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:05 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by r-mm
Yes Sir you are on the list. And for the record I once owned a SR20DET powered Fastback. I was younger and a great deal stupider and managed to blow the engine on the way to Long Beach Airport to pick up my then GF now wife... we were gonna road trip home to CT. Oh well live and learn

But they're great fun while they last!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:29 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 423 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by brabuse430
Ok, sorry to sound like an idiot. Just trying to figure out what this kit does?

So I have an H4 kit ready to install, just need to get the trim rings painted body color. I bought the H5 to H4 adaptor from Pelican Parts. I figure yours is a superior option, but what is the main difference between your kit and a pelican adaptor?
I installed the pelican adapter 10 years ago and stuck a set of h4 buckets in my car. I had always intended to install a relay kit. Another rennlister way back then had made me what was, at that time, about as plug and play a kit as could be....it came in a little box. Had some instructions. I was very grateful to him for having made me that kit.

But- it was a rats nest of wires. And though for an electrically savvy rennlister, maybe it would have gotten installed....but that's not me. I'm just not an electrician, for a lot of very good reasons. So it sat on my shelf - uninstalled.

Anyway- long story short- i have always used the stock h4 bulbs. They function.

With this kit, i will worry less about a future electrical failure, and should i decide to go to a higher wattage bulb, i will be able to. That is the reason we all need to install a relay.

What i find shocking here, is how much thought went into this kit. And how cleanly it can be installed. There have been a couple times i have been impressed like this...once w the abs tester for the c2 and then for the C4....and then those disappeared and are no longer made. And now this.

I'm not going to miss this one.
Wish the C4 abs unit was back in production. Can't have it all.

Last edited by Goughary; 02-06-2021 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Relay Kit: plug-and-play no-cut integrated w/Central Electric... interest?