4-9405-2.pdf (40.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf
4-9405-3.pdf (18.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:51 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

And here's the TSB covering the older style and some other production changes.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
For what it's worth, the RWB with the issue mentioned above had BBI uprights.
Yes but he is also running an 11" wide front wheel with a massive offset and 275 tire. Would need more info but the BBI upright will only take care of part of the problem. He needs to reconfigure the suspension for his issues to go away IMO. Using the 993 longitudinals will help but probably not enough and he wants that deep dish look which just is asking too much from these old cars. IIRC the 993 control arm pushes the front end out a bit more so he might consider these options but will be at the cost of the front wheels he is running.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
And here's the TSB covering the older style and some other production changes.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:02 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Here you go.
Ah-hah!!! Good man, thanks Jason - time to brew some cofffee and sit down to read them.

Thanks again
Spencer
Old 04-18-2020, 09:38 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Just a quick update on the post above with the Driftworks RWB Turbo...Phils latest video looks to have significantly sorted out the problem he was experiencing, by swapping out the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres for some symmetrical ones. The test tyres were just some cheap ones he had kicking about, purely to try and see if there's any improvement....lo-and-behold, it appears the tramlining of the asymmetrical Michelins has been eliminated. This may be useful to someone else running similar tyres and scratching their heads?
Old 04-19-2020, 08:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

What did he switch them with? I find the SS's to be one of the better tires out there not far behind the S4s's with less tramline and issues than many tires when properly setup. The SS's use different tire compounds across the tire for grip in different conditions. The issue with what he is doing is although he has a massively wide tire as you go that wide the contact patch actually narrows and elongates to a small section of the tire. It might be improved but IMO less than ideal and although it looks badass doesn't perform as well as a car with a bit less up front.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
What did he switch them with? I find the SS's to be one of the better tires out there not far behind the S4s's with less tramline and issues than many tires when properly setup. The SS's use different tire compounds across the tire for grip in different conditions. The issue with what he is doing is although he has a massively wide tire as you go that wide the contact patch actually narrows and elongates to a small section of the tire. It might be improved but IMO less than ideal and although it looks badass doesn't perform as well as a car with a bit less up front.
He changed them for a sticky track tyre that they use on their drift cars, made by Accelera (I've never heard of them)...he does say it was just to prove something with a symmetric tyre, and isn't proposing using them long-term (before anyone flames him!)

I actually reached out to him on IG and pointed him in the direction of this discussion, in case it could be of help - he did reply back saying he'd check it out, so he may be here...lurking...in the murky corners of t'internet...lol

Yep, I do actually agree, for me (but it's not my car...) I'd rather sacrifice some of the stance - badass though it is - and optimise the geo. Perhaps his next step is to reduce that front rim width, but of course everyone's on lockdown over here (no localisation, it's nationwide) so getting these parts to play with isn't as easy as it normally is. Ask me how I know.

This episode is here >>

Old 04-21-2020, 08:33 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Yes but he is also running an 11" wide front wheel with a massive offset and 275 tire. Would need more info but the BBI upright will only take care of part of the problem. He needs to reconfigure the suspension for his issues to go away IMO. Using the 993 longitudinals will help but probably not enough and he wants that deep dish look which just is asking too much from these old cars. IIRC the 993 control arm pushes the front end out a bit more so he might consider these options but will be at the cost of the front wheels he is running.
Do you mean longitudinal? A-arms are the same dimensionally. I have both on my bench now.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjb616
Do you mean longitudinal? A-arms are the same dimensionally. I have both on my bench now.
I have the 993 longitudinals in my 964 track build and they push the front end out by 12.5mm. I believe I read on one of Bill's threads that the 993 A arms (aka Wishbones) were slightly different dimensionally although I have not checked them. IIRC they use a different ball joint and bolt but I can't say if they do anything to the track width. Any comparison photos?

As far as the RWB he had asked questions on the turbo forum IIRC. If he is running -3 degrees camber up front on a street car and has such wide wheels I don't see how he can expect to get a good contact patch. It must be rather narrow on the inside of the wheel which IMO is far from ideal. I have a hard time watching these videos.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Rebuild - Hub Part Question