Sponsored by:

Cobalt on Cobalt C2 Targa ‘92

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 07:27 AM
congaman
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on a great find.

My only suggestions are Bilstein B6 and H&R springs. Take it down to RS height and the ride and handling will be great.

The 993 engine mounts work well and are a huge saving on standard 964 mounts, for some reason.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,261 Posts

All the best with it. Great way to jump in and learn about the 964. They are a bit different than the earlier 911's.

I find it interesting that recently I have seen some Cobalt blue cars with sales receipts being charged for the cobalt paint. I have the original window sticker and sales receipt for my 94 and have seen others and they all show the option as No Charge. I guess it was possible to charge whatever you wanted back then. The few I have seen have been charged different amounts. I have a reliable source telling me that it was a N/C option at least in the US. I guess this requires more research. Cobalt is a rare color. I have the same brochures and it is very hard to make a choice from a 1" square. It is easy enough to match but having it color shift properly is tough as these can shift more or less depending on the car. The radio option is the CD-2, you can see it listed as optional equipment. Standard radio for the 92 on was the CR-1 Cassette radio. It could be optioned with a 6 disc CD changer or the CD-2 CD player. Honestly they suck sonically and only differences are the CD vs cassette, but I rarely turn my radio on when driving these. Smart move keeping all the original bits.

GL with the project looking forward to reading and seeing your progress.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:47 AM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
It hasn't crossed my mind more than 30 or 40 times!

Ha!
I’m betting that the Cobalt Blue sport seats are a bit of a rarity. As a matter of fact, I bet a Cobalt on Cobalt ROW Targa is a rare combo given they only made a little over 500 C2 and C4 ROW Targas in ‘92 and about 800ish total that year. I’m very excited about the car and the colour combo. Are there any goods stats/records that would indicate production #’s ?
Old 01-02-2020, 10:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotiagreg
Ha!
I’m betting that the Cobalt Blue sport seats are a bit of a rarity. As a matter of fact, I bet a Cobalt on Cobalt ROW Targa is a rare combo given they only made a little over 500 C2 and C4 ROW Targas in ‘92 and about 800ish total that year. I’m very excited about the car and the colour combo. Are there any goods stats/records that would indicate production #’s ?

The info I have is there were 151 US spec (including Canadian Cars) C2/C4 targas imported for 1992 and an additional 537 for the ROW market. Numbers drop off considerably from there but there were only 1033 Targas imported in US spec in total for the 964.

For some reason I see more targas optioned with Tiptronic trans than 5 speeds so yes they are rare.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
The info I have is there were 151 US spec (including Canadian Cars) C2/C4 targas imported for 1992 and an additional 537 for the ROW market. Numbers drop off considerably from there but there were only 1033 Targas imported in US spec in total for the 964.

For some reason I see more targas optioned with Tiptronic trans than 5 speeds so yes they are rare.

Thanks, so my car is not ROW and Canadian cars are included in the US production numbers.... so it’s 1 of 151 .... thanks for that info

I can’t wait to bring this car back to full glory.... I plan on using it quite regularly between May and November. I will not fret over the mileage as it’s high already. The drive from work in Nova Scotia to the weekend cottage in Prince Edward Island is about 4 hours including a 1.5 hour ferry ride. It’s a perfect weekly exercise program for old P cars and a beautiful and scenic drive. Can’t wait for Springtime.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:20 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotiagreg
Ha!
Not rare really, I have been looking for 10 years, closest I came was to a set in Italy that turned out to be Marine Blue and out of a 944. So, not as I would say rare, more like unobtainium. Luckily, I have convinced myself that I am happy with the comfort seats I have. I may recover a core set one day but am happy to see them in your car, hopefully you will keep us updated on what you do to this fantastic car you have just bought; I hope it offers you a smidgen of the happiness mine has given me. Touch base on the Cobalt thread too, others there would love to see a double Cobalt Targa in full swing.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:59 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default This forum is how I will document the work done

Rods with new bearings. We torqued them up with the old hardware and measured clearance tolerances. All good! This weekend we will assemble with the new hardware, torque up and remeasure and install.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default Light wet sand and buff

The old paint responded well to a little love. Light wet sand and buff. I love this colour. Note: engine out.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:10 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default While the engine is out

We cleaned up the engine bay and installed a new sound insulation pad. The old one was pretty rough and hanging down. The 964 engine bay is so much more crowded than my ‘85 or ‘68. Actually, every nook and cranny is more crowded! They crammed a lot of tech into this old G body.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default You can probably relate

Old 01-02-2020, 09:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Wow you’re not wasting any time getting things done! Good call on cleaning the engine bay and getting the sound pad, that will really make it look nice when it’s all done. I’m assuming you’re also having the engine tray refinished before it goes back in?

Did you decide on wheels yet?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:39 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Wow you’re not wasting any time getting things done! Good call on cleaning the engine bay and getting the sound pad, that will really make it look nice when it’s all done. I’m assuming you’re also having the engine tray refinished before it goes back in?

Did you decide on wheels yet?
Yes, I’ll clean, buff and/or paint if necessary everything when we reinstall. It will be spotless and I am very fussy.

I know where I can get a set of Cup 1 reps in Canada but the price is pretty high.... around $1100 US. My buddy Larry, (my mechanic) says wait because he likes what’s on it now...but I like the Cup 1’s more than the Boxster twists and I think this car is worthy of a period correct look... I’m leaning towards getting the Cup 1’s and selling the twists to recover a bit of my outlay. The Tires will need replacing in any event.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:46 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default Suspension question

The struts and shocks on the car seem to be very good. If I just purchase the H&R springs, can I achieve a decent stance....or do I need the Bilstiens as well to get it right.

I was thinking, get springs first and adjust as much as I can to see how it looks and feels before forking out the dough for the Bilstiens.

Or do I just go for everything now. The best pricing I can find in Canada is about $2300 ( $1769 US ) for Bilstiens and H&R’s. Dang!!!
Old 01-03-2020, 01:11 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

With that many miles I have to think the shocks were replaced once already if they’re still ok. My shocks weren’t bad but the overall stock suspension setup was beyond awful. Changing to the B6 with H&R Springs, urethane control arm and steering rack bushings was a night and day difference. The car went from a scary marshmallow to very capable canyon carver with those changes.

So yes I would suggest you do it all if you can......yeah it’s a slippery slope.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:39 AM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you checked Tire Rack's pricing for shocks and springs? Mine were about $1200 six years ago.

Quick Reply: Cobalt on Cobalt C2 Targa ‘92