Sponsored by:

Cobalt on Cobalt C2 Targa ‘92

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 04:35 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Congrats.
The goldenrod shift rod is a good one. If you don't go with Wevo the Carrera 4 motor mounts are stiffer than stock. Also, look into replacing the strut and rear shocks with Bilstein HD's with HR springs with 1 and 1 1/2 inch drop. Front A-arms aren't too expensive. Steering rack bushing, Elephant racing bump steer correcting tie rods or Tarrett RSR 964 inner tie rods and stock outers and front and rear sway bar drop links. Porsche classic stereo and stock speaker grills. I feel the Cup one 17 inch looks great on 964's.

Have fun
Old 12-31-2019, 07:51 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotiagreg
Yes, will definitely upgrade the motor mounts.Thanks

All you 964 guys please chime in with any “must do” mods that will enhance performance but preserve a stock look. This thread will be a good place for me to review so I can keep track of suggestions.

Greg
Congrats on snagging that beautiful 964. These are rare cars in Canada so it's good to see another one in the fold.

These are the mods I did on my '90 C2:
- lightweight flywheel with Steve Wong chip (as part of a rebuild)
- RS engine mounts
- steel synchro's in all gears
- RS short shifter
- RS transmission mount
- single belt pulley
- Bilstein HD's with H&R turbo springs
- primary muffler bypass; Dansk secondary muffler
- engine bay sound pad delete
- H4 lamps
Old 01-01-2020, 08:50 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Here is mine FWIW, I like the Cobalt steering wheel, fits the hand well and it is blue. The black one I had was jarring to me at least visually with all that blue. If you don't want yours and wish to sell t, I will take it, make a good core for a rewrap. You can easily match the Cobalt paint at a good shop by removing the Aero mirror and getting an exact match that way. I did the RS motor mounts and was delighted along with springs and konis, Porterfield pads bite hard and lowered to Euro ride height (which yours may already be at). Your LSD is likely not doing much at that mileage and would be worth an rebuild.

Not to insult your wallet but I would stick to the basics for now, get the car on the road and see where you are with it; this stuff can add up fast. More than that though, once you are comfortable in the car, half the fun when adding a mod

is getting back in it again and screaming Hell Ya at the difference in the improved ride.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (03-04-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 01:09 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

interesting, to say the least, i too look forward to your trip through the world through 964 eyes... i have been considering a blue interior as my paint is non metallic blue something or other, haven't seen another like it yet, but i am sure it is more common than rare, and if going blue i would want it to be a really dark blue, probably not a porsche color, we'll see, for now, i want to drive and will watch yours...all the best in this new day/month/year/decade/life/anon...
Old 01-01-2020, 02:06 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Seat photo

As requested. It’s parked in a dark garage and it’s dirty so it’s hard to get a good shot. Anyway, this is just a starting place....

Old 01-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default And so it begins

Old 01-01-2020, 02:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Greg that interior looks to be in great condition, and sport seats to boot! I would just fix what needs restoration and enjoy it but that’s just me.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:34 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default Back home today. Parts arrived and heads redone over the Holiday.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Greg that interior looks to be in great condition, and sport seats to boot! I would just fix what needs restoration and enjoy it but that’s just me.
Yeah, it really is very good. I love the sport seats. As I said, the one-only previous owner took very good care of the car. I will keep it very stock but I don’t think I can live with the “more purple than blue” steering wheel. Needs restitching in any event.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default My steering wheel plan

I bought this Mod 7. I need to take the TDS yellow stripe off and black out the yellow “MOMO”. Then I plan on doing this horn button that I saw on another blog.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=misterbeverlyhills;16324498

Not to insult your wallet but I would stick to the basics for now, get the car on the road and see where you are with it; this stuff can add up fast. More than that though, once you are comfortable in the car, half the fun when adding a mod
is getting back in it again and screaming Hell Ya at the difference in the improved ride.[/QUOTE]

This strikes me as sound advice for some of the mods that are just as easily done after the car is road worthy.....One thing for sure though is that I’ll need to get the nose down some before I get the old girl back in the public eye. That high front end just jars my mildly OCD brain.

The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 06:42 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
Congrats on snagging that beautiful 964. These are rare cars in Canada so it's good to see another one in the fold.

These are the mods I did on my '90 C2:
- lightweight flywheel with Steve Wong chip (as part of a rebuild)
- RS engine mounts
- steel synchro's in all gears
- RS short shifter
- RS transmission mount
- single belt pulley
- Bilstein HD's with H&R turbo springs
- primary muffler bypass; Dansk secondary muffler
- engine bay sound pad delete
- H4 lamps
Beautiful Targa in a great colour - what a find! Above is a great list - I especially like the Steve Wong chip, primary muffler bi-pass and RS engine mounts in my 1990 C2 Coupe. I don't have much to add to that list other than heater bi-pass delete (have not done it yet), chrome trim rings around the instrument gauges (done), RS interior door panels (not yet), rear wiper delete (done), Rennline aluminum pedals (done), and I'd consider Flat6 Illumination or similar LED lamps to replace your stock ones (https://flat6-illumination.myshopify.com - no affiliation). I love my LEDs. I also agree you can do much of this slowly as you get a feel for the car... a Sleepers short-shift kit was under the tree for Christmas for me and I'll install it over the winter... can't wait for spring! Good luck with your drool-worthy 964!
Old 01-01-2020, 09:42 PM
Scotiagreg
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks, and here are some interesting tidbits in the documentation.

Thanks everyone, lots of great info and ideas for me here.

Also, not sure if anyone needs copies of this stuff but the original owner persevered the 1992 sales brochure and he also kept the colour and interior sample brochures as well as a technical info doc.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:03 AM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Has misterbeverlyhills made you an offer for those sport seats yet!!
Old 01-02-2020, 04:45 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Parman
Has misterbeverlyhills made you an offer for those sport seats yet!!
It hasn't crossed my mind more than 30 or 40 times!

Quick Reply: Cobalt on Cobalt C2 Targa ‘92