Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone had issues with the idle speed actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 04:32 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default has anyone had issues with the idle speed actuator?

are they repairable or...seems some are NLA but the 993 ones are but are very 'spensive, i go to PZ tomorrow , and not really sure if this is the problem....SO...when i give it the gas there is a dead spot and then the motor catches up, and when letting off the gas the motor seems to cut out, but it always catches itself and idles prefect...sound familiar?
Old 10-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Walt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy to remove and check by applying 12V directly to the actuator. It should quickly snap when voltage is applied and if not, may just require some cleaning. The whole process should take less than an hour and there is plenty info online regarding cleaning.

I had mine off a few months back to check for an oscillating idle issue but it turned out to be something else.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:19 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

you can get one from autozone. the are bosch units
Old 10-10-2019, 01:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Are you talking about the ISV? If so the 993 version is different. It powers in both directions.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

993 units won't do it.

You can perform basic tests yourself as described above. For more in depth tests there is a good thread that explains how to get duty cycle read outs (just use search here for it). Alternatively you can get a PIWIS readout of the ISV with duty cycle info (I went this route).

In the end I found someone on here that bought a new one fron Aliexpress for 50 US or so. I figured it won't hurt trying this. Bought it, made no difference, so left it in and have the 25 year old original unit as spare now.

BTW. The unit on Aliexpress looks identical to the original... at least from the outside.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:32 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

i have taken it out and cleaned it, it was not very dirty and after some brake cleaner wash it is even better now snap twisting will get it to move, so i am satisfied with it... though the car still has this vagueness in accelerating and my next step...well, i must sleep on it...i'll be backand i appreciate everyone's feedback, thanks, kk
Old 10-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

You may be running rich due to possibly:
  • A faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Leaky injector
  • AFM that is not properly set at idle (they are not to be reset from factory, but mine was tampered with)

There are many other reasons why you may be having this issue, so don't think only in this direction. Your initial post makes me think air/fuel mixture, but it could be electrical... or any other thing I'm mot even thinking of.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:26 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Default tanks for tis, and

Originally Posted by Navaros911
You may be running rich due to possibly:
  • A faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Leaky injector
  • AFM that is not properly set at idle (they are not to be reset from factory, but mine was tampered with)

There are many other reasons why you may be having this issue, so don't think only in this direction. Your initial post makes me think air/fuel mixture, but it could be electrical... or any other thing I'm mot even thinking of.
i have thought of the same thhings...where to start, this could go on, though there is a limit before i , i guess, get lucky and come upon the culprit, just keep hitting and missing until i, don't...but please feel free to throw other ideas this way, cheers, kk

Quick Reply: has anyone had issues with the idle speed actuator?