Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real cup car or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 05:11 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought that people would appreciate seeing this hat, which i bought around 15 years ago at the Hershey PCA swap meet.

This pic is in a Porsche brochure that I bought at the same time:

Last week, there was what appeared to be a factory Cup car sitting parked behind the service building at Porsche Princeton NJ. Same stickers as the OP’s car and had a roll cage. Based on the OP’s posts about his location and having it the dealer, maybe it was his car.
https://www.princetonporsche.com/

https://goo.gl/maps/8n9RGiQEbi2URUA26

Last edited by JJJMCD; 06-01-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:49 PM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
She's finally home waited almost 2 months for parts to come from Germany (steering recalls) drove her home 50 miles and some more, lol like a child that just got a new toy. Just wanna drive her as much as I can and decide later whether put her back to stock or just leave it as it is? I would like to remove the whole cage since I won't be tracking her (extra weight loss of over 50 lbs?) and install a more street oriented seats (currently has a tight Recaros) and factory seatbelt rather than these race harness. I assumed the previous owner raced this car based on set up.
Anyone selling a pair of black seats and seatbelts?
C&C this am then she's headed down to get her first bath and full paint correction with Ceramic Quartz coating. Will post some photos later.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Understanding how they drive through my personal experience, I can imagine how exhilarating it must have been for you to enjoy the drive at speed. It was for me and still remains true every time I get into my car. You and other 964 owners are in luck regarding available parts. More so for me, as my location to this source for parts is only a short 30 minute drive from my home. Autobahn Parts has been the recipient of all the excess parts left over from nearly all the "Singer" 964 conversions and they have an amazing inventory of leftover parts available at a very good price. Call or email Mike at 619-444-3229 (mike@autobahnparts.com) He often sells on eBay, but I suggest you call him directly to insure you're getting the best product available.

...and another Big Congratulations to you for your lucky find and "once-in-a-lifetime" purchase. I'm not sure what you paid, nor does it matter at this point, but two USA Edition Cup cars came up for sale recently that have set a precedence for a current market value. Sure, selling price is more accurate, but it will give you a ballpark value and comparison to what you paid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Porsch....c100667.m2042

https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/199...4-carrera6006/

....in terms of the direction for your pending restoration plans. I vote that you take it back to factory stock (like mine), with perhaps a few mods that will give it a little ZING....e.g.... Euro RS Recaro seats, 8"x9" inch CUP wheels with spacers, Primary and possibly secondary bypass pipes, limited graphics, etc...etc.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Enjoy the Ride!
Old 06-01-2019, 11:15 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD

I thought that people would appreciate seeing this hat, which i bought around 15 years ago at the Hershey PCA swap meet.

This pic is in a Porsche brochure that I bought at the same time:

Last week, there was what appeared to be a factory Cup car sitting parked behind the service building at Porsche Princeton NJ. Same stickers as the OP’s car and had a roll cage. Based on the OP’s posts about his location and having it the dealer, maybe it was his car.
https://www.princetonporsche.com/

https://goo.gl/maps/8n9RGiQEbi2URUA26
Yup that was her, lol the dirtiest car in the lot! You from the area?
Old 06-02-2019, 12:00 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default cup

Originally Posted by kecho
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Understanding how they drive through my personal experience, I can imagine how exhilarating it must have been for you to enjoy the drive at speed. It was for me and still remains true every time I get into my car. You and other 964 owners are in luck regarding available parts. More so for me, as my location to this source for parts is only a short 30 minute drive from my home. Autobahn Parts has been the recipient of all the excess parts left over from nearly all the "Singer" 964 conversions and they have an amazing inventory of leftover parts available at a very good price. Call or email Mike at 619-444-3229 (mike@autobahnparts.com) He often sells on eBay, but I suggest you call him directly to insure you're getting the best product available.

...and another Big Congratulations to you for your lucky find and "once-in-a-lifetime" purchase. I'm not sure what you paid, nor does it matter at this point, but two USA Edition Cup cars came up for sale recently that have set a precedence for a current market value. Sure, selling price is more accurate, but it will give you a ballpark value and comparison to what you paid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Porsch....c100667.m2042

https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/199...4-carrera6006/

....in terms of the direction for your pending restoration plans. I vote that you take it back to factory stock (like mine), with perhaps a few mods that will give it a little ZING....e.g.... Euro RS Recaro seats, 8"x9" inch CUP wheels with spacers, Primary and possibly secondary bypass pipes, limited graphics, etc...etc.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Enjoy the Ride!
Thank you man, as usual your posts and infos are very helpful. Didn't realize the prices are this crazy! That Canepa car wasn't enjoyed by the previous owners.
I don't mind attending a get together of 964 Cups especially if it's accessible from my location. Also a Registry will be cool.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:47 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Yup that was her, lol the dirtiest car in the lot! You from the area?
Wow -small world. I was surprised to see it sitting there, but 99.9% of the population would have no idea what it was and Princeton is a very nice town. I live in Greenwich, CT, where it is not at all unusual to see cars worth millions of dollars (new Ferraris, Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Lamborghinis, McLarens, etc.) parked on Greenwich Avenue and elsewhere around town sitting unattended while their owners are shopping or eating at a restaurant.

Since you like race cars, check out these pics of a 458 Challenge race car at the local Ferrari dealership.

To answer your question, I was having a PPI done at the dealership on a 964 from Newtown, PA, which is a few towns away.

Have fun with the Cup car. Unlike newer exotics, you can own and enjoy that car for 10 years and know that you won’t lose a dime on it and may very well end up making some money on it, to boot.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

that F car is the ultimate track toy!
Nowadays I prefer roll racing as opposed to drag or road course it requires less prep except a ton of hp, lol
Maybe a few non comp road courses in Milville, NJ with the Cup Car.

Last edited by 2swoosh; 06-02-2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats again- decide how you want to use car and then ad the appropriate parts. The US cups either had the stock C2 seats which suck or the race seats which can get uncomfortable for anything but short drives. The 964 RS seats are very nice, not inexpensive, probably best option for street use. The correct race seats do show up for sale from time to time- I have been lucky to find two over the years as my car did not have correct seats when I bought it either. This thread is inspiring me to drag mine out of storage and put it back on the road, so thanks for that!

Phil
Old 06-02-2019, 12:51 PM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Congrats again- decide how you want to use car and then ad the appropriate parts. The US cups either had the stock C2 seats which suck or the race seats which can get uncomfortable for anything but short drives. The 964 RS seats are very nice, not inexpensive, probably best option for street use. The correct race seats do show up for sale from time to time- I have been lucky to find two over the years as my car did not have correct seats when I bought it either. This thread is inspiring me to drag mine out of storage and put it back on the road, so thanks for that!

Phil
I agree with Phil. Here are three options to consider.

Pic#1 Factory original option (comfort seats) $1,500 to $2,500 depending on condition
Pic#2 Factory original Euro RS (Recaro seats) $10k to $20K depending on condition.
Pic#3 Aftermarket "Cultwerks" seats (pictured next to factory Recaros,....left side) $4k to $6k depending on condtion

Old 06-02-2019, 07:49 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Seems like I'll go with option one since it can recline. A Rennlister messaged me a while ago that he has a pair of original Cup Car seats and offered it to me if I decided to restore the car. The current seats are hard core race Recaros I thought it's kinda dangerous for street driving as you can hardly move in it.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems like I'll go with option one since it can recline. A Rennlister messaged me a while ago that he has a pair of original Cup Car seats and offered it to me if I decided to restore the car. The current seats are hard core race Recaros I thought it's kinda dangerous for street driving as you can hardly move in it.
Those “race” seats are much safer than the regular leather seats FYI.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default seats

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Those “race” seats are much safer than the regular leather seats FYI.
definitely the safest for racing but street driving I'll take that leather that can recline
Old 06-03-2019, 01:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If deciding on option #2 I can't stress enough the importance of finding somebody with them that will let you sit in them for an extended drive. For my body type in the mid-90s, those were the most uncomfortable things I have ever had the misfortune of spending time in. Depending on your body type, the cloth sport seats from an RSA can be a much better choice.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:31 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Factory Recaros fit perfectly if you are around 36 inch waist and period correct. The car will not have rear seats correct? I would source sport seats instead of regular seats. Sport seats will not lose value should you decide to sell it in the future.

People will want period correct hardware for the car at the end of the day, getting the actual cup car seats will add to that value if you can swing it. It will not be cheap...
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 PM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If deciding on option #2 I can't stress enough the importance of finding somebody with them that will let you sit in them for an extended drive. For my body type in the mid-90s, those were the most uncomfortable things I have ever had the misfortune of spending time in. Depending on your body type, the cloth sport seats from an RSA can be a much better choice.
I completely agree!!!! I'm 5'9", 165 pounds and the EURO RS Recaro seats were made for me. The most comfortable seat I've ever sat in, but not for my buddy who is 6'7" who has issues with the side bolsters forcing his legs inward, which make his legs hit the steering wheel.

BUY the stock seats you were offered first, and if you have some extra money left over (and time)....find a set of Sport Seats, which are rarer than hens teeth at the moment.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:33 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

You can buy Recaro Pole Position or Profi SPG seats that are virtually identical to the Porsche Speedster/RS seats for a small fraction of the price. As an added bonus, the SPG seats come in XL size, which is necessary if you’re over 200 lbs.

https://www.carid.com/recaro/pole-po...QaAoUrEALw_wcB

https://store.windingroad.com/mobile...eat-p2927.aspx

Quick Reply: Real cup car or fake?