2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 243 Posts

On the way to Radnor Hunt to experience the best car gathering in the northeast
Old 09-09-2019, 08:41 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Radnor Hunt Concours d elegance is a class act! lots of P cars some of the highlights; 904, RS America, Carrera GT, and a 968 CS imported from France, etc... The event reminds me of a mini Amelia Island event.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Burzel55
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

post some photos?
Old 04-09-2020, 12:00 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Alright! after a long hibernation the toy is back on the road ready for some summer fun. First thing was a visit to Princeton Porsche of NJ for her annual check up and service update (oil/filter change, wheel refinishing due to some scratches, front & rear hood struts, fresh set of Indy tires, alignment, compression/leak test and was told perfect!, OEM battery as the old one leaked acid to the floor!, new spoiler motor, and some miscellaneous stuff. I was also informed that there's corrosion around the battery area and a half CM of paint bubble on the DS on the bottom of the windshield.
I took the car to a few auto body shops around me and that was a very scary experience! until I saw Anthony's (Cobalt) post about the slicktop question and Pino, the owner of RSR Restoration Auto body shop in Wyckoff, NJ. Arranged for a flatbed service to drop off the car but i cancelled it at the last minute instead I drove the car (over 100 miles) I wished it's farther! and met Pino. After a few minutes of conversation and seeing other P car projects I was convinced left the car and Ubered my way back home. Anthony can test drive the CUP when she's all done! LOL
Be safe out there everyone!

Last edited by 2swoosh; 04-09-2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typos
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 12:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Alright! after a long hibernation the toy is back on the road ready for some summer fun. First thing was a visit to Princeton Porsche of NJ for her annual check up and service update (oil/filter change, wheel refinishing due to some scratches, front & rear hood struts, fresh set of Indy tires, alignment, compression/leak test and was told perfect!, OEM battery as the old one leaked acid to the floor!, new spoiler motor, and some miscellaneous stuff. I was also informed that there's corrosion around the battery area and a half CM of paint bubble on the DS on the bottom of the windshield.
I took the car to a few auto body shops around me and that was a very scary experience! until I saw Anthony's (Cobalt) post about the slicktop question and Pino, the owner of RSR Restoration Auto body shop in Wyckoff, NJ. Arranged for a flatbed service to drop off the car but i cancelled it at the last minute instead I drove the car (over 100 miles) I wished it's farther! and met Pino. After a few minutes of conversation and seeing other P car projects I was convinced left the car and Ubered my way back home. Anthony can test drive the CUP when she's all done! LOL
Be safe out there everyone!

YES!!! I like the sound of that. LOL. Pino and I exchanged a bunch of texts yesterday regarding my project and your car. He loves the rawness of the Cup Car and is a huge 964 fan. You're in good hands and I hope to see the car soon. When you're ready to pick it up let me know. We can social distance about the 964 at his shop.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:04 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Was happy to hear from Pino yesterday that the rust bubble is only confined to one area and nowhere else under the whole windshield seal. I wanted to replace the windshield last year but backed out as the dealer quoted me close to $7k! Pino hooked me up for an unbelievable price oh man I'm loving this guy already! He's got the same disease as us Porsche "car owner" virus!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Was happy to hear from Pino yesterday that the rust bubble is only confined to one area and nowhere else under the whole windshield seal. I wanted to replace the windshield last year but backed out as the dealer quoted me close to $7k! Pino hooked me up for an unbelievable price oh man I'm loving this guy already! He's got the same disease as us Porsche "car owner" virus!

Nice pun.

You don't know the half of it. Although when it comes to Porsche's his specialty is early long nose 911's his true love is the 964. You will never find a more passionate person to work on your car. Great guy and he is stepping up his game all the time. Some of the work he has done is amazing and I can assure you in most all cases anyone would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't factory when he is done irrespective of the extent of the damage. Glad to hear it is an easy fix he is a straight shooter and does only what is needed to make it right. I will be dropping my car off soon and it isn't going to be as easy to do what he is about to. I wouldn't trust anyone else to touch my cars. His shop used to be about a mile from my house. I spent 3+ years hanging out with him after I retired helping him work on 911's and other projects. I do miss those days. I try to help out on occasion but all my time is spent working on the mechanics of these cars these days. If you need some decent mechanics I have some young engineers that really know their stuff and are equally as talented that are local. I help with the vintage stuff but so far I have found that there isn't anything they can't fix that can be fixed or tuned.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

7k? Does the cup car have a different windshield from normal?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:26 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

You guys are making me wish I lived in NJ.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:41 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default windshield

Originally Posted by Sirenty
not sure but the dealer's price was nuts that's why I didn't do it I was also quoted by Safelite for around $400 but not Porsche.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty

I have seen jobs that should cost a max of $7k quoted for as much as $32k from the reputable Porsche approved body shop. It is crazy what a Porsche approved shop charges but they have a huge overhead to become an approved shop.

Same windshield just with the P-tax added. Although a factory windshield does run around $1500+ new for Sigla. Safelight is now the official windshield replacement company for all of NJ and who knows how many other states. If you break your windshield your insurance company doesn't deal with it. It is all handled by Safelight and they will screw the installer and make them use aftermarket windshields. The Pilkington non OE glass is inferior and costs around $265 to the installer who has to pick it up remove the old one and install it for $135. Do you think you will get a quality job for $135 I know I wouldn't do it for that little.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:57 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

It's not really the cost of the glass that convinced me to go ahead with the windshield but the installer as Pino explained the Safelite or other mobile companies won't have the time and patience to install the new glass they'll slap and seal it in just like a regular car but there's more into it due to the 10 point cage.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

It's not really the cost of the glass that convinced me to go ahead with the windshield but the installer as Pino explained the Safelite or other mobile companies won't have the time and patience to install the new glass they'll slap and seal it in just like a regular car but there's more into it due to the 10 point cage.
Installing a 911 windshield is a huge undertaking to do correctly on a street car. With a cage it is much more work. I have done them on both. It took me many hours and multiple attempts to get it right on my track car with full cage and if you are not patient and take the time can mess up the headliner on a street car. I honestly would prefer to pay Pino to do it again in the future vs the time and frustration to do it myself. I have a great glass guy as well but he doesn't like to do the early 911's and charges accordingly.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:45 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have seen jobs that should cost a max of $7k quoted for as much as $32k from the reputable Porsche approved body shop. It is crazy what a Porsche approved shop charges but they have a huge overhead to become an approved shop.

Same windshield just with the P-tax added. Although a factory windshield does run around $1500+ new for Sigla. Safelight is now the official windshield replacement company for all of NJ and who knows how many other states. If you break your windshield your insurance company doesn't deal with it. It is all handled by Safelight and they will screw the installer and make them use aftermarket windshields. The Pilkington non OE glass is inferior and costs around $265 to the installer who has to pick it up remove the old one and install it for $135. Do you think you will get a quality job for $135 I know I wouldn't do it for that little.
Ah. I was going to wait to replace my windshield to when I resprayed the car, but it was so sandblasted and chipped from the track that I couldn’t see out of it when the sun or lights hit it. The old one was a Sekurit, which I didn’t realize wasn’t a 964 windshield. I went with the cheaper Pilkington because I assume it’s coming out again when I paint it, but it works and is so nice being able to see clearly.

FYI, I saw in an old thread people mention the dash has to come out to connect the antenna. It looks like the installer of the previous windshield thought that too, and cut and twisted the wires together instead. Needless to say, my reception was horrible. The installer I hired has been doing 911s for decades, and he said taking the dash out was unnecessary. He went through the frunk by the hood prop and got it hooked up. Reception is perfect now.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:50 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Awesome, sounds like you're in good hands, very cool!

Let me guess, the same dealer that told you the exhaust was stock? LOL!

Quick Reply: Real cup car or fake?