Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Old 03-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

"Call Uber, this car's going nowhere..."

After a Triumphal journey from Ft. Lauderdale to Boston in the new 964 last Summer, I brought the new 964 over to my trusted mechanic Bill Pfister at Eurotech Advanced Automotive for a closer inspection. Bill put the car up on the lift, and promptly informed me of the bad news pointing out a cracked oil hose ready to blow. "Call Uber, this car's going nowhere." In response, soon-to be named Wilbur squirted some oil on Bill's floor. Bill keeps a tidy shop, and was unamused by this transgression. Bill quickly wiped up the spill with some carb cleaner, and continued assessing the car. Lots of deferred maintenance, lots of work to be done. Even the $4,933 in engine work just performed needs to be re-done, as the head studs were over-tightened and the engine is leaking up top. Bill told me flatly that I had been "hoodwinked." Wilbur peed more oil...

A prudent person would have moved on, but I had grown attached to this pig, and I'm not very prudent. And so begins the journey.

The first wave of maintenance included re-painting and re-sealing the oil tank, replacing the thermostat, all accessible hoses including vent hoses and oil cooler hoses, re-charge the A/C, replace the A/C bely, Brad Penn oil, new oil cooler fan, new horns, new oil cooler temp switch and relay, rewiring the horn correctly (formerly a red switch on the steering column), and a new set of horns to replace the rusted horns.

Tail of the Dragon driving back to Massachusetts

This car's going nowhere

Lots of rust to be found

Hoses need to be replaced

The repair work commences

hoses are out

New bits

Was this car doing submarine duty?

New bracket

Last edited by Foxman; 03-21-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

More rust on the oil can

Thrifty repair

That's better

Old 03-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The goal is to to tidy up the car as we go.

New hardware,

And new lines going in

Repaoirs to the broken securing tabs as well

Bill does nice work

The exhaust has discolored the rear of the rear of the car. A little polishing compound did the trick

Here's the old horn button. Not easy to reach behind the steering wheel. New cover installed.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The front tires were badly chewed up form slamming into the front fenders. After grinding down that notorious protrusion at the front of the fenders the rubbing stopped. But the Bridgestone RE 71R;s were no where to be found. My shop found one of the last rears available, and we installed the tires. We also re-sealed and straightened one of the front wheels. The rear wheel also apparently had a slow leak, and by the time I realized the tire was leaking the inside of the tire had shredded. This was a costly repair, but worse there were no rear tires to be had. I had a tire shipped from OH just in time for an autocross event.

PCA NER Autocross

I took the car to Fort Devens for a PCA Auto Cross event. Other than lowering springs the suspension is completely original. The car was loose, and leaning and tilting all over the place. So I began focusing on a rebuild for the suspension. I picked up a few bits including ERP spring plates, a set of 993 calipers, Elephant Racing Front Control Arm Bushings (sport), RS stabilizer bars, links, mounting brackets and bushings. MSC 2 ways is the current thinking, but the suspension project is on hold for a bit, as I'm hoping the RS wheel carriers will become available to help keep things on budget. In the meantime, it feels a bit like driving a submarine.
The following users liked this post:
ABusLux (12-27-2019)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The fan hub bearing was the next thing to go. Thankfully I could hear the blown bearing, and the fan didn't seize. Bill had an RS fan hub waiting to go in the shop, and the install went smoothly. I like the fact that I can change a fan belt without having to call AAA, or remove the alternator belt.

Nifty puller

Old 03-18-2018, 05:30 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The car was a bit sluggish at the autocross, and starved for fuel when I let the gas tank get real low. I purchased a Steve Wong Chip, and spent a Saturday afternoon doing the install. I discovered the PO had formerly installed an FVD Chip. I never would have suspected this, as the FVD Chip pales in comparison to the Steve Wong Chip.

My first try starting the car - nothing. It was as if someone had removed the DME relay. A quick google search revealed the problem. The FVD Chip has an adapter board underneath, and I had failed to remove the adapter board. I was much quicker installing the chip the second time around. My assessment of the Wong Chip - incredible! The car has much more kick and less lag in second gear, and the RPM's no longer dive down when I step on the clutch. What a great mod!

Newe Steve Wong Chip

New Chip Installed, but note green FVD connector board underneath

Removed the offending connector board, and all is good!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 338 Posts

Deja vu so far. Good to see you are giving the car the love it needs.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:42 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Winter was coming, and I wanted to keep the 964 on the road with some winter wheels. I had a set of Sport Classic II's ready to go, but hat required some spacers. Great excuse to install some bullet-nosed racing studs on the car. I picked up a set of SWAY-AWAY 65mm rears and 54mm fronts. Rennline spacers, and Rennline open-end lug nuts completed the package. Ready for Winter!

Rennline spacers and open end lug nuts, Sway Away racing studs

Bit by bit

New studs with the summer wheels

Winter wheels are on and ready to go!

Driving in the snow to the local brewery, Trillium
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Deja vu so far. Good to see you are giving the car the love it needs.
Thanks John,

I was reading your thread on broken door stay repairs - yikes! We had a Nor'Easter here two weeks ago here in Massachusetts. One of my co-workers living on the South Shore opened his car door, and the 70 mile winds blew the door, and the hinges, right off the car. They're still trying to figure out how to repair the damage, and are considering totaling the car.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We haven't met, but something tells me our cars have been at eurotech together. Great read with a happy ending. Bill is one of a kind. Hope to have a chance to get some of the Boston 964s together this spring
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

nice looking piggy foxman

good luck with the refresh

it tests our patience and wallet but in the end these 964s are such great driving cars it is so worth it
Old 03-18-2018, 06:15 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Car looks great with the ducktail. Sport Classic wheels look good. You say they repaired the other wheels - I would be cautious about performance driving on them (i.e. track, auto-X).

But if you're concerned about corrosion, be aware that MA is infamous for using some of the most corrosive snow melting methods. That said, it does look great in the snow, last pic!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
We haven't met, but something tells me our cars have been at eurotech together. Great read with a happy ending. Bill is one of a kind. Hope to have a chance to get some of the Boston 964s together this spring
We also have a mutual friend, U727P or whatever it is... Jay speaks very highly of you. Looking forward to meeting you, Sir.

As for the story, it's just getting started...

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
nice looking piggy foxman

good luck with the refresh

it tests our patience and wallet but in the end these 964s are such great driving cars it is so worth it
Thanks golfnutintib, I couldn't agree more. I put 15,000 miles on the car last summer. Driving to and from work was the best part of the day.

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Car looks great with the ducktail. Sport Classic wheels look good. You say they repaired the other wheels - I would be cautious about performance driving on them (i.e. track, auto-X).

But if you're concerned about corrosion, be aware that MA is infamous for using some of the most corrosive snow melting methods. That said, it does look great in the snow, last pic!
Thanks FrenchToast, sage advice. Those boat-anchor wheels will be for street duty only as the car gets sorted. A set of Fikse Fuchsfelge wheels will reduce about 20 lbs. of unsprung weight. But lots of work to be done first. As for corrosion, as you read on you'll find I'm more concerned about the corrosion inside the car.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

As the days grew shorter, it became increasnigly apparent that he headlights needed an upgrade. The LED lights from Flat6 Illumination are a great plug and play solution, The service from Francois was exceptional.

Flat6 Illumination LED's

Yes, more rust

Cleaned the housings and knocked down the rust. Note to self, keep plenty of white Rustoleum primer around.

New LED light of screen left

Old headlights

New LED Headlights - happy!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Porsches should smell like leather and gas, but the gas fumes in the cabin seemed a bit excessive. A quick peel-back of the frunk carpet revealed that the vapor recovery unit was cracked. I made a quick DIY repair with some Oatey medium black ABS cement (great stuff!). That eliminated the gas fumes. I ordered a new shut-off valve (Part #964 201 175 03). Also picked up an RS storage box (Part #964 552 157 00), heater by-pass duct, and relay (Part #964 610 184 00).

shut off valve cracked

Temporary DIY repair until new shut off valve arrives

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig