Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM

Hockey tape is not good long terms IMO, I started using it but it eventually becomes really sticky and messy. Same goes with cheaper brands of friction tape, I did not like them either. I found that the 3M one is the best, it goes on very well and it is not a sticky mess to the touch. As for size, you can get the 3/4” width at Home Depot which is similar to OEM, I bought a case of 6 and went to town. Thanks for the info on the paint, much appreciated.

Well I’m glad that I stumbled upon that 3M friction tape, and good to know that it comes in a narrower width. The harnesses will be fully exposed in this car, so a proper wrap is critical, and I don’t want any sticky gooey tape lying around.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks great Foxman! The friction tape you and LPMM have mentioned...Is that the OEM tape around the wires? If so, I need to replace mine as it is all sticky and nasty...LOL.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:09 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
The only problem now is that the interior looks better than the exterior!
+1 Wow, that looks great!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
+1 Wow, that looks great!
Thanjs 911Jetta. I took another quick photo of the car last night, but it’s hard to capture how it gleams everywhere inside. Hoping to get some daylight photos later in the week when I roll her back out to the driveway.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Looks great Foxman! The friction tape you and LPMM have mentioned...Is that the OEM tape around the wires? If so, I need to replace mine as it is all sticky and nasty...LOL.
Yes it is jus that, it replaces the OEM cloth tape that has either become so dry it unravels by itself, or sticky and nasty over the years. Plus it looks factory.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:24 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Yes it is jus that, it replaces the OEM cloth tape that has either become so dry it unravels by itself, or sticky and nasty over the years. Plus it looks factory.
Thanks for confirming! I was cleaning my interior and taking a peek at the wiring to either delete or replace the existing aftermarket radio. The stuff was pretty gross. But i guess to be expected for a 27 year old car.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed love the ocd attention to detail

Swallowed by the rabbit hole...
Old 06-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTA_G20
Subscribed love the ocd attention to detail

Swallowed by the rabbit hole...
Thanks GTA G20, and LOL on being swallowed by the rabbit hole It reminds me of Jeff Bush in Florida being swallowed by a sink hole! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...man-slept.html
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

For those of you interested in the Cobra Nogaros, here's an update:

1. Only the Nogaro Circuit Model comes with holes for the shoulder harnesses. Cobra's website lists the seat as limited to 4 harnesses, but there is a hole in the bottom cushion for the Circuit Model version which is actually suitable for 4-6 harnesses.
2. This is not an FIA rated seat, but should be fine for both AX an DE which suits me fine.
3. The original plan was to install these using a combination of the BK R-9044 seat floor mounts with substrap http://www.bkauto.com/R_9044_Seat_Fl...r_p/r-9044.htm , BK-9043 adapter http://www.stableenergies.com/prodin...number=BK-9043 , Audi TT sliders (identical to 996 sliders at half the price) https://parts.audiusa.com/productSea...Term=8N0881183 , and BK sidemounts. But apparently BK really likes these Cobra Nogaros, and BK is tooling a custom side mounts for the Cobra Nogaro to bolt directly to Recaro sliders. One of the guys at BK races air cooled P Cars, and he bought a set of the Nogaros for his own car. How cool is that? The new BK custom side mounts will be available in about two to four weeks. So the new BK sidemounts will secure directly to the Recaro sliders that will bolt directly into any 964 or 993. Since the BK R-9044 will no longer be necessary, you'll want to purchase the usual BK R-9035 Sub Strap Mount if you're planning on using substraps. http://www.bkauto.com/R_9035_Sub_Str...t_p/r-9035.htm This new application will save about 2 lbs., and more importantly it will lower the seat height by approximately 3/4". It's possible that I may be able to wear a helmet in the car with these seats - but I'm still planning on deleting the darn sunroof...
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Look for Tesa tape to tidy up the looms. Not expensive and it’s very close to the original fabric tape. I believe that bmw/benz use it in their current models.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Posting this up on the board for Dean and others that are following the seat hunt. While searching for seats I ran across another promising new model from Sparco, the QRT-R. The seat just rolled out this month. Unfortunately for me the seat runs a bit wider than EVO II between the cushions. But the seat looks to be very promising for tall drivers that are a bit more stout, and it weighs only 4.5 kg!

The measurements on the Sparco QRT-R haven’t yet been posted on Sparco’s website, but they were kind enough to send me an advance sheet in the numbers. The photo below has the QRT-R measurements, and I’ve also included some color coded measurements from Cobra Imola Pro Fit (standard and GT), Cobra Nogaro, Sparco EVO II, and RECARO Pole Position. The numbers are telling. The Pole Positions are woefully too short. The QRT-R’s are taller than the PP’s and actually wider in the waist, but the outside dimensions are actually smaller. I think this QRT-R will make a great seat for many in the 964/993’s.

Last edited by Foxman; 06-14-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

I had measurements from the wrong Cobra in the prior photo, sorry guys. The Nogaro is a bit wider than initially posted, but still ideal IMHO. I’m reposting the photo with the correct measurements for the Nogaro circled. The Nogaro measures 20mm narrower than the Pole Position in the seat bottom, but it’s deceptive. There are minimal side bolsters on the Nogaro, and the seat widens from 330mm in the rear to 390mm in the front. At 6’4”, 200 lbs with a 34” waist the Nogaros fit me perfectly.

Updated 6.15.18 with corrected measurements for Nogaro
Sparco QRT-R measurements with other comparables including Cobra Imola Pro Fit (standard and GT), Cobra Nogaro, Sparco EVO II, and Recarro Pole Position

Last edited by Foxman; 06-15-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Took another drive up to HMS Motorsports today and picked up the Cobra Nogaros. It will be a few weeks before Brey Krause is ready to part with their prototype for the new air-cooled sidemounts for the Cobra Nogaro, but I have lots of other chores to do before the car is ready to hit the road again.

The clusterf*+k continues with the pedal cluster. All the bits were ready to go, but the bearing tube that I purchased was mislabeled. The bearing tube was labeled the correct 964-423-069-00, but it was actually part no. 965-423-069-00 for turbo models. This was not an isolated error and apparently all of the bearing tubes in the US are mislabeled and I’m still waiting for the correct part weeks later . The bottom line is that I don’t have to rush on the seats, so I’m waiting a few more weeks for Brey Krause to finish designing their new side mounts.

Here are a few obligatory photos...

HMS Motorsports- Every basement theatre should look like this

From left to right: Cobra Suzuka Pro Fit GT, Cobra Suzuka Pro Fit (standard), and Cobra Nogaro

At 6’4”, 200 lbs with a 34” waist the seats fit snug but comfortably. The holes for the shoulder harnesses are perfectly located.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Cobra Suzuka base

Cobra Nogaro base (sculpted to drop lower and take less space)

Cobra universal brackets
Old 06-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The trouble with the Cobra universal side brackets is that they fail to take full advantage of the sculpted Nogaro bottoms. The Cobra sidemounts don’t allow the seat to drop below the side brackets, making the seat sit higher in the car unnecessarily.

The Cobra Mount lacks sufficient offset to allow the seat to drop below the sidemounts.

The Brey Krause sidemounts have more offset allowiing the seat to drop below the sidemounts. Advantage Brey Krause. (Photo courtesy Brey Krause)

Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig