Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 08:33 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by jjeffries
Foxman, how do find yourself splitting your time and attention between this and your 993? Is one favored over the other? I always found this difficult when I had two similarly purposed cars in my garage.

best, John
Great question, John, thanks for asking. I’m a few seconds faster in the 993, both on the track and AX. But I seem to get more enjoyment working harder in the 964. That costs me a bit at the AX events, as I’m in the racing class. There’s no handicap in race class for driving older slower cars. But the 964 is a better learning tool, and keeps me on my toes. Getting back into the 993 is always special. Quicker lap times, with NO drama. The difference in the 993 rear end is remarkable. Sadly my wife has no interest in any of these cars, and seems to prefer newer 911’s. I seem to gravitate to the older cars, and the challenge driving them.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:07 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 286 Posts

You got me thinking again about how a 993 IRS would graft into a 964 . Few people say it's been done but very few details or actual fab pictures.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:56 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

PCA NER held its first DE Track Event of the season this weekend at Thompson Speedway in Connecticut. Friday was for advanced drivers only, and we got over 2 1/2 hours of track time. If you haven’t had an opportunity to track your car, I highly encourage signing up with your local PCA Chapter. It will put a smile on your face, and make you a better driver.

Preparing for the track, my primary concern was the rubbing on the oil pipe in the right rear well. I ordered a new flat oil pipe, but it didn’t arrive in time for a replacement so I loosened the clamp and gave the oil pipe a few live taps to snug it up against the wheel well. A test run at Palmer confirmed this did the trick, and there’s no more rubbing. Based on other slight rub marks around the rear wheel well,?it looks like I need to bump up from 4mm to 5mm spacers. It may be time to roll the rear fenders…

The final prep for the track was a trip to the spa at Unique Car Care in Middleton Massachusetts. With a freshly painted front bumper and hood, I wanted to lay down some PPF to protect the paint at the track. It’s a small investment to keep the car looking good despite some spirited driving.

The car performed flawlessly all weekend. But just as I was leaving the track, she refused to drop into first gear. This repeated itself sporadically for the drive back to Cape Cod. I’m sorting through that right now, and just bled the clutch slave hoping it’s not more serious.

Posting up a few photos of the prep work, and a few photos at Thompson.

Rubbing on oil pipe

Loosened clamp and snugged the oil line flush with. The recess

New oil pipe awaiting new tires oil change

A trip to Unique Car Care for PPF on the front bumper and frunk lid

PCA at Thompson CT

PCA NER at Thompson

Back home and wheels are off for post track brake bleed.

The rubbing here suggest the 4mm spacers need to be 5mm

Wheels get inspected wafted every track event.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:43 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Sooo, back to the problem shifting into first gear. I bled the clutch slave, but little change with the problem. Even with the car off, I’m getting locked out of first gear 80% of the time. Moving the car, or starting and stopping the engine seems to occasionally align everything so it goes into gear.

It could be the master brake cylinder, and that’s one of the few parts I haven’t yet replaced on Wilbur. But We don’t think so, and this come on rather suddenly. It feels like the pressure plate isn’t releasing properly, and I need to find out why. The lightweight flywheel is two years old, but maybe a spring broke loose?

I dropped the car off at Eurotech on Saturday, and I hope to know later this week what the problem is. I’m planning a re-gear eventuality, with steel synchros that I badly need, but not in the middle of the track season. So hoping it’s just a clutch thing. Will keep you posted.

Time for another brake bleed. Track cars get a bad rep, they’re typically better maintained.

Bleeding the clutch slave. No bubbles, but the brake fluid was a bit gray. I’ve seen worse.

By way of comparison, the front brakes were bleeding much cleaner as they always do.

I tried some R3 on the calipers, wow! Easy work.

I purchased an MPL clutch slave this winter. Perfect time to add this to the car while sorting out the first gear drama
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (06-06-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 10:18 PM
jjeffries
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

How does it feel being part of the “MPL family”? The few, the proud?

Sorry, couldn’t resist!
John
Old 06-05-2023, 10:29 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Yes, a bit corny - but I’ve heard great things about their product.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:40 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

After a five week delay, we finally got Wilbur up on the lift for a proper inspection. Sadly, the clutch is operating perfectly. After 145,000 miles, my transmission is buggered. Engaging first gear requires either luck, or finesse. At times it will slot right into first gear. But most of the time I’m locked out of first, and need to roll the car a bit to get things aligned and drop it into first. Third gear is also problematic, but only on the track. I’m pretty sure I screwed up first gear while getting locked out of 3rd gear at the track. The Numeric Shifter probably didn’t help matters, but it falls on the driver. That’s me.

My trusted mechanic is too backed up to work on the transmission right now. The plan is to do a full re-gear in the Fall, with steel synchros. I’ve already started doing my homework, and would greatly appreciate any input or advice from others who have been down this path. I’m considering replacing first gear. It’s not cheap, but back in 2020 we noted that the main shaft was pitted. There’s been no leaking, but it may be a good time to replace the gear and the input shaft that file together…

If you have any suggestions or advice on gear ratios, please let me know. I’ve read many of Steve Weiner’s (RIP) posts on the subject, but the gear ratios I’ve seen are all over the map. The RS first and second gear have my eye. The car is largely track purposed, but it’s street legal and in addition to driving the car to and from the track, it haunts the streets of Cape Cod from time to time.

I did install the MPL clutch slave while the car was on the lift. And we changed out the transmission fluid to try and avoid further damage. As expected, there were metal filings and a tip of a gear tooth on the magnetic drain plug. I also swapped out the 4 mm rear spacers for 5 mm spacers (to stop the occasional rubbing on the control arms under load). The 275 tires run perilously close to the rear fenders, but no issues driving on the street as yet.

So I have a few months to reflect, and plan a proper re-gear for the car.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:40 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Got an inspection sticker today. Street legal for another year. And Wilbur officially got his wings, and shed a few pounds.

Wilbur the Pig

Wilbur after a crash diet
Old 08-05-2023, 07:17 PM
jjeffries
Instructor

Wilbur is a handsome fellow, an athletic one at that.

John
Old 08-06-2023, 09:14 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Wilbur is a handsome fellow, an athletic one at that.

John
Thanks John, Wilbur is some pig indeed.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:21 AM
jjeffries
Instructor

Foxman, any thoughts towards picking up a spare transaxle, installing that to keep Wilbur mobile while you leave the original at Bill’s in Framingham for the desired overhaul and regearing? You could either keep it as a spare when the OG is complete or sell it on again. Chances are it wouldn’t lose value.

Just thinking out loud.

best, John
Old 08-06-2023, 10:02 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Foxman, any thoughts towards picking up a spare transaxle, installing that to keep Wilbur mobile while you leave the original at Bill’s in Framingham for the desired overhaul and regearing? You could either keep it as a spare when the OG is complete or sell it on again. Chances are it wouldn’t lose value.

Just thinking out loud.

best, John
Its a good thought, John. If the 993 and 964 ran with the same transmission, it would be great to have a spare around. The 993 transmission is in pretty good shape, but it was tracked by the prior owner and also needs some love.

The current thinking is to leave the car at Eurotech in the dead of winter, and while it’s there have them fabricate a crash bar for the rear of the car. A carbon fiber rear bumper from Getty will shed a few more pounds off the rear. It will also allow me to mount another pair of tow hook mounts at the rear of the car for towing.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:52 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Went for a ride this morning, and came home to change the oil. It went a bit like the Exxon Valdez. I did manage to install a new oil pipe without incident. First gear continues to take some finesse. But the car runs like a bat out of hell. Looking forward to the re-gear this winter, and getting back out on the track.

Oil change went smoothly

Removing the oil pipe was far easier than expected. No need for new hoses.

New RS oil pipe installed.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:44 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 133 Posts

I will likely need one of these, can you share the part number 🙏

Originally Posted by Foxman

New RS oil pipe installed.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:51 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts