Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adrian's book..... worth the money!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Note to self: Do NOT become a 964achondriac!

Some issues will just present themselves when they are damned good and ready...and usually at a BAD time!

Preventative maintenance is key to a healthy car I believe, but one can only go so far. I race mountain bikes and watch these guys wear out several hundred dollars worth of gear by constantly over-maintaining it!! Constantly removing and installing a part after cleaning/greasing up, etc. can wear nuts/bolts and the quality rolled threads incorporated into expensive aluminum parts.

...weird huh?? But oh so true. Keep in mind it's a car and to keep a reasonable maintenance schedule will generally keep you out of harm's way.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually Dave it is the connector not the DME that you can remove. I have seen a number of DMEs in recent years that could have been saved but the pins turned to dust because it was never noticed.
I also say these are recommendations. I do this here in Switzerland because of the environment.
Do not over maintain that is for sure. One of the key points in the book is to learn your environment. What does "YOUR" environment you live in and where the car lives do to your car. It will vary quite dramatically.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-27-2003, 07:17 PM
69COU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian having had the book for the last week on Holiday skiing and having spent hours every evening reading through all i can say is QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY!!!.

On the drive back from from the French Alps I did joke to my wife that we may need to do a bit of a Swiss diversion so that I could get you to sign it!!! She had made a few comments about me being glued to the same book all week.

Having spent about 1600 miles in the Shogun I am now really looking forward to picking up the Porsche from the Garage on Monday with its new suspension setup.

Pierre

Home this evening and under the Christmas tree which i am about to go and have a look at is " Exellence was expected" If I am allowed to do any more Porsche reading.

Only spotted three Cayennes on the Drive back ( Wife did say something about becoming a Porsche anorak)
Old 12-29-2003, 06:28 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile I'm a published photographer now

Finally got my copy of The Book

First impression: it's bloody big

As Arjan said when starting off this thread: it's money very well spent. What makes it even better is that I noticed it contains some piccies I took while upgrading my suspension. The top picture on page 529 is mine, and so are the pictures on page 532, all taken in great haste with my camcorder

In case there's a reprint: the label in the top picture on p.532 identifies the stock springs as "C4", but they are from my 1991 C2.

Second impression: this book really is a staggering collection of knowledge. My compliments to Adrian for managing to see this project through all the way. The end result was well worth waiting for. Congratulations.

Cheers,

JW
Old 12-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian, may be you and Bruce Andersen can work togheter in the future. I met Mr. Andersen in Ventura Last September on the Ventura Porsche Autofest which I was visiting with Randall and a lot of other Rennlisters from the 993, 964 and Boxter board. He was giving some semminars about Porsche, and I think you two togheter would be a great contribution to the Porsche world.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

The book is simply fantastic. i dont really know what to say apart from that.
i'd be interested / scared to know how many hours it took to write
Old 12-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

About 1000 hrs. I should have the 911SC done in about 500. Maybe less.
Ciao,
Adroan
964C4
Old 12-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrian. Why not a book on the 993? You can copy half of the text (or more) from your 964 book.

Or, do you refuse to write books on cars lacking proper upright 911 front fenders?
Old 12-30-2003, 04:42 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Randall,
The reason I do not intend to do a 993 book is because there is an excellent web site on the 993 which covers what I would see as the heart of a book. Certainly for me anyway. There has to be some level of uniqueness.
The 911SC manuscript is almost finished and I am very excited by what I have discovered and have been able to write about.
I may do the same for the Carrera 3.2 and maybe a 75-89 Turbo book before I hit my next main project which is the 996.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Adrian's book..... worth the money!

Originally posted by Arjan B.
All I want to say is that the book Adrian wrote is worth the money!
............mine came (eventually) and it is worth way more than the cover price. Adrian, many thanks - the 964 remains my favorite 911 and skimming the book last night I was reminded why in so many ways - as well as adding a number of to-do's to my 2004 project list - Billy Chan's front splitter on his Turbo would look awful nice on my car!!!!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

After being on the waiting list at Amazon for weeks, I just got my shipping confirmation today, Dec. 30. Looking forward to the read!!!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:26 PM
KY-91C2
Instructor

Adrian:

Great book! I received mine for Christmas, and have been going through it every night since. I am looking forward to getting back home and working on my C2!

Ron

91 C2 Cabriolet
85.5 944 NA
Old 12-31-2003, 12:57 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

I just received my book today in the mail from Amazon - JW is right, it is "bloody big"! They were quite late, but worth the wait! Excellent read so far... and I am only through the first chapter.

Thanks Adrian for making this book; what great timing as I've only had my 964 for 2 months now. I feel bad for the guys who have had these cars longer with no great reference like this. I've got it easy!!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:15 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Adrian,

I can't wait to get a copy of your new book!

Unlike Randall G.'s "stealth" 964/993 hybrid, I have a "stealth" 993/964 hybrid!

It was professionally transformed from a 1992 964 triple blk. C2 Cab. to a 1995 993 triple blk. C2 Cab. by the P.O. who is a factory trained Porsche mechanic and his friends at Champion Porsche in Deerfield Beach, FL.

You could'nt tell unless I told you or if you looked under the undercarrige protection panels - it still has its 964 suspension with updated pneumatic Vortex shocks.

He installed a new complete OEM 993 body kit - incl. doors, hood, rear deck w/retracting spoiler, tea cup handle third brake light, near new complete 993 OEM full blk. supple leather interior with crested blk. supple leather OEM seats, 3 point seat belt 993 OEM blk. supple leather rear seats and tower.

A new 993 WS w/wipers positioned exactly as on the 993 - not spaced apart like on the 964. A new 993 blk. factory cab. top & boot. A rebuilt
<30K mi. 1995 993 engine = non-Variocam with an upgraded DME Chip to make up for not having the Variocam = ~12+ hp, with its corresponding
rebuilt <30K mi. 993 6-speed transmission w/gear box & an upgraded OEM short shift kit.

A 993 OEM LSD, a OEM 993 dual exhaust transformation & a new set of OEM 993 Big Red Turbo brakes/rotors.

Later I sorted it out and replaced the CV joints, bled the brakes,lubed the clutch pedal & bled the clutch slave cylinder - was hanging but no more thanks to Robin Sun! Oil changes pre-treated w/Chevron Techron every 8K
miles and corresponding maintenance at my local Porsche stealer.

I put new needed bulbs, front/rear hood shocks and added a second rear engine compartment cover hood shock as well as a new rear spoiler air dam kit w/Silver Porsche Decal on it - thanks to Brad Bloomquist!

I also changed my black Carrera emblem to an OEM silver one. I replaced my bischoff 993 mufflers with a set of those wonderful sounding
Robin's RSR Mufflers, an OEM Motor Sound air filter box and OEM oval chrome motor sound exhaust tips.

A new 993 OEM premium package dark/burl wood trim dash kit w/corresponding blk. leather/burl wood steering wheel w/airbag & E. brake handle. Looks very sporty BTW.

A set of Aluminum bevels for the 993 guages. A Halon Fire Extinguisher w/993 B.K. blk. powdercoated passenger seat mount.

A new Rennline aluminum front strut brace and a new set of
Rennline black anodyzed aluminum street pedals.

A new set of OEM 996/Boxter 17" optional Dyno wheels with corresonding N1 Conti-Sport tires, OEM wheel locks, OEM front license plate bracket &
Gert's FPB. A new OEM 993 Litronic Lights Kit, A premium Bazooka detachable - for Auto-X - Subwoofer, needed esp. in a Cab., updated all around w/premium Infinity speakers.

Blk. aluminum interior door handles w/colored crests, blk. leather cup holder and all matching OEM aluminum sills / accessories.

The car looks very sharp, sounds awesome - actually sounded better than a 1997 993 C4 Cab. w/Robin's RSR mufflers & OEM Motor Sound air filter box / exhaust tips I compared with at one of my PCA - Chicago Region Auto - X events last year - and it is a rocket!

I am thinking of later adding a new PSS9 Kit converted for use on the 964 suspension - developed by Steve Weinner at Renn Systems, along with a new set of adjustable OEM RS front & rear swaybars and lowering it to b/w stock & RS specs. vs RS spec. height. - what do you think?

Adrian,

You are a very valuable resource for us on Rennlist and hope you continue to do the same in the future. I salute your efforts and appreciate all of your advice.

Thanks so much and a healthy and prosperous happy new year to you and yours!

Old 01-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Frank,
Thank you for your kind words. Your 993/964 is a perfect candidate for my book on the 993 which I am being beaten over the head to do. I give in guys. I would love to write a feature on this conversion of yours.
I am ready to receive the data downlink. Very serious I am gathering 993 and Carrera 3.2 images and data as we speak.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: Adrian's book..... worth the money!