Sponsored by:

Adrian's book..... worth the money!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 05:03 PM
john thompson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI Adrian !
Well I am sorry that I am on the 3rd page of responses, I wanted to be the 1st to tell you what a great achievement this book is. I am slowly going page by page soaking it up. I just love it.
I reallly do not know anyone locally that has a concept of what a fine car the 964 is. Between this board and the book I feel a complete connection to people that appreciate a fine machine.

Thanks so much,

John
TEXAS !
Old 12-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear John,
One of my aims of the book was to improve the appreciation of the 964. It has received a raw and unfair deal over the years and I hope my book will turn that around.
There is no other series of 911 that has such a book (until I have finished the 911SC one) and I hope that just this alone will give the 964 a fresh level of appreciation.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-19-2003, 08:11 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

"Adrian's book..... worth the money!"

YOU BET, DEFINITELY WORTH IT! I just received mine a few minutes ago and believe me I am skipping lunch just to have a nice browse.

EXCELLENT - WELL DONE ADRIAN - THANK YOU.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:06 AM
Cuppie
Racer

A Tour de Force -congrats Adrian - I just need to get in to training to hold it for long periods of time while I read!!

Mel
Old 12-20-2003, 08:10 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Adrian,
Nice one! The size of this book is only equalled by my yellow pages directory! Cant imagine how much time you must have spent doing this. This will be my first point of call when doing anything with my car. Congratulations, I am very pleased with my purchase.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Dave,
I honestly never calculated the time I spent but to give you an idea, the second draft which was the draft which you are reading now took me 30 days, 10 to 12 hours to "draft" and then another 2 to 3 hours a day average, 5 days a week for 2 months to edit.
The first draft took me 12 months to compile with a year of research and data collection before that.
You lose track of time after a while as you can imagine. The 911SC book is going much much faster.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-20-2003, 12:42 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine now, but can't have it until Xmas.

Adrian, thank you!

Doug (arranging the UK bulk order) you're a star, too!

Old 12-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Doug is a huge huge star. The amount of effort he put into his project of the bulk buy and the money raised for Natalies UK charity branch is nothing short of superb. The absolutely humbling thing about all of this is most of the people like Doug, I have never met. This is the amazing thing about such communities like the worldwide Porsche community. Most of us I am sure hardly know our neighbours yet people who have never met, never even seen each other across a room do such things.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-20-2003, 05:26 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like to add my comments. The book is amazing. Started reading it Friday and came to the conclusion that whatever I wanted to know about my car the answer is probably in there somewhere.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Cuppie
Racer

...still reading, and pleasantly surprised to see my Cup Car in a couple of pix (thanx JM!!)

Good to see the pix credited, at least I can now put car's to names, if not faces!!

Mel
Old 12-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Just got my book from Doug C, via Andy R : Thanks both.

The 964 demystified! And I don't mean because I can at last fix my A/C..

The presence of this (satisfyingly weighty - it could replace my space-saver in the trunk!) book can surely be listed as another advantage of 964 ownership. What other 4 year model run has such a dedicated 'bible' to it?

The best thing, which I know has been said by Adrian and others, is that our mechanics now have a real-world reference to sorting out any problems that may arise: My copy will be 'left' on the passenger seat at next MOT and service!

My own favourite aspect is the presence of Adrian's quirky humour throughout - e.g. a picture of a car hooning around the track 'indicating that the systems are functioning correctly'..Haynes manuals never did that
Old 12-22-2003, 08:18 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine today too - thanks Doug.

...I'm not allowed to unwrap it though...got to save it until Christmas day!

With the book and my new iPAQ satnav, I'm going to be VERY quiet over Christmas!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Rob M and John B - you are both paragons of self-control (or seriously under the thumb !!)

3 days to go before you find out what all the fuss is about!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:07 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Paragon of self control. It's sitting beside me on my desk!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Oh dear! I haven't even started reading this book as yet, I will need to allocate some time on a regular basis if i'm going to get through it. But, just thumbing through so far, heres what i've learnt. That we should make a concious effort to learn the systems the car uses BEFORE we have issues with them. I have always done things the other way round but this makes good sense. The DME should be removed and checked once a year to check the connections are not rusting. I have never done this even once in all the time i've had my car. I'm scared to read anymore, it will have my car in pieces in the garage before too long!!!
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Note to self: Make sure you read the WHOLE book!

Quick Reply: Adrian's book..... worth the money!