Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 VEMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Guys, I would be careful of arbitrarily changing your ignition timing map based on what someone else has done, especially in the boost range over 100 kpa---you simply don't know what the engine condition/modifications are, and what kind of fuel is being used.

Let's say two different 951s have "stock" engines. That could still mean that one has a shaved cylinder head and/or excessive carbon buildup, which effectively raises the compression ratio.

The bottom line is, you should get the ignition table tuned on a load-bearing dyno to figure out the ideal timing settings for your particular engine and fuel.

All of that said, very advanced timing in the low-load/cruising range is desirable because it increases the engine's mechanical efficiency, and there is no risk of detonation.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:12 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DLS
Sam i noticed that you have raised the ignition quite a bit from basemap at 1200,1600 and 2000rpm below 100kpa.
Why did you do that, do it run cooler with more advance?
It could prob take more down low honestly as I don't think its as hard hitting as it was with the previous Vitesse MAF in place. The tuner used a load based dyno (mustang) and kept adding timing until it didnt make any more power and then backed it off a bit for safety. Im sure he looked at knock along with power to adjust the timing table for my specific car. I was just sharing as its always good to have more than one data point.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:21 PM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All seems to run pretty low ignition compaired to Doug in this thread.

It's for e85 but very conservative.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...our-944-a.html
Old 09-23-2019, 07:58 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Curious for all the VEMS users here. How many are using IMI hi torque starter and Nissan alternator combo?
Old 09-25-2019, 02:46 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I am running a Hi Torque starter I got from Ideolas garage with a rebuilt 200 amp rebuilt factory Alt.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:49 AM
Touringshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wish it were as simple as that. Went over all the usual conditions 3 times and finally figured out the issue
After narrowing it down to the wb02.

Turns out my VEMS ECU was earmarked for an LSU 4.2 wideband, but a lot of units were being done at that time in May 2019 and to make a long story short an LSU 4.9
WB02 was shipped with that setup, but the necessary 27K pull up resistor was never installed so the unit was only pushing out 3.7V Nernst to the wb02 (Fine for LSU4.2) and it needs over 4V to function properly for a 4.9. So I soldered in a 27K resistor in series on a wire and soldered one end to Nernst which is pin 13 on the EC18 and pin 28 on the EC28(+5V). I did this on the OUTSIDE of the VEMS unit. Used liquid electric tape to seal since it's now a T connection and it worked well.

Now I am getting 4.5V to the LSU4.9 WB02 which is reading lambda in the correct range.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:08 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
I am running a Hi Torque starter I got from Ideolas garage with a rebuilt 200 amp rebuilt factory Alt.
If you have a chance, could you measure voltage drop on DME pins 18 and 35. DME 18 goes to Vems ECU 25. I measured voltage drop to 10.8V during cranking with hi torque starter and quest alternator combo. This is with a new battery fully charged at 12.8V. Beginning to suspect, vems ecu is very sensitive with voltage drop which is causing trigger syncing issues with timing, causing startup problems. I'm starting to get it every now and then again. Investigating if it's starter and / or alternator related. I've noticed on good starts, tachometer will Rev to 1200rpm or more. Where as a bad start will be below 1k rpm. It's either the starter is faulty causing a big voltage drop causing vems to be confused. Or voltage drop related to starter/alternator combo. So far I've tried to put an amplifier battery capacitor with ecu but it did not correct issue. Will try a seperate battery ( is this even ok to do?) and report back. Also suspect that my starter/alternator could be faulty as I bought them used with an Ice Shark battery cable here on the list many years ago. So if you have this starter/alternator combo without issues, I would like to know. Much Appreciated. - Wayne
Old 09-25-2019, 06:09 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Touringshoe
Thanks for all the suggestions. I wish it were as simple as that. Went over all the usual conditions 3 times and finally figured out the issue

Turns out my VEMS ECU was earmarked for an LSU 4.2 wideband, but a lot of units were being done at that time in May 2019 and to make a long story short an LSU 4.9
WB02 was shipped with that setup, but the necessary 27K pull up resistor was never installed so the unit was only pushing out 3.7V Nernst to the wb02 (Fine for LSU4.2) and it needs over 4V to function properly for a 4.9. So I soldered in a 27K resistor in series on a wire and soldered one end to Nernst which is pin 13 on the EC18 and pin 28 on the EC28(+5V). I did this on the OUTSIDE of the VEMS unit. Used liquid electric tape to seal since it's now a T connection and it worked well.

Now I am getting 4.5V to the LSU4.9 WB02 which is reading lambda in the correct range.
Glad you got it sorted out. Did you buy your vems kit used?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:02 PM
czentner
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Touringshoe

I had the exact same issue. It took Peep a while to figure out what was going on, once I soldered in the pullup resistor it worked fine.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:40 PM
czentner
Advanced

Also - does anyone have a wasted spark config file they can share? I want to see what VEMS changes I need to make once I have the hardware installed.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Touringshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Glad you got it sorted out. Did you buy your vems kit used?
No, new from Peep.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:40 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

3 pins like mine. I have an MSD unit. center pin goes to 12v coil / red wire from factory coil. 2 otter pins goto ec36 pins 34 and 36. then put these settings. base setup>ignition outputs visual>
Originally Posted by czentner
Also - does anyone have a wasted spark config file they can share? I want to see what VEMS changes I need to make once I have the hardware installed.
Posted this a while back. Hope it helps
Old 09-25-2019, 04:14 PM
czentner
Advanced

Posted this a while back. Hope it helps
Great, thanks!!

Does anything change in this menu?

Old 09-25-2019, 05:41 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by czentner
Great, thanks!!

Does anything change in this menu?

Depending on what wasted spark coil you use. If you get the one provided by Peep, then change coil charge time to 3.0ms. The rest stays the same.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:40 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Speaking of configs... I am having an issue trying to start my car. When I open VEMS it says it is in 'safe mode' and won't start. I realize I am supposed to upload a config to get it out of 'safe mode', but when I try it, nothing changes. I'm stumped. Any help?

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install