shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

@Black51

Old 04-11-2020, 05:27 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there anyone with VEMS that has NEVER gotten the engine to fire at all, or am I the only one?? Seems like my config is completely wrong, even though I sent my unit to Peep for inspection last year. Something is wrong.

From what I understand, if the engine states flag says "running off", the engine is disabled. I had that before I sent my unit to Peep, and it still says that now. After reading up on that condition, it sounds like it needs a firmware update. Tried that before, and nothing changed. I did have to pay for 'servicing' this unit, and apparently something was updated. But to me I'm not convinced anything was done. Not trying to drag his name through the mud here, but Peep, if you're out there, I need some answers. The information on the VEMS site to me is spotty at best. At this point, I'm at a loss for what to do. Peep seems harder and harder to get a hold of for support these days. Can anyone actually help or or should I just throw this thing in the garbage?... So much for 'plug-n-play'...

Uggghhh after ~4 years of trying to get this non-running car working, I'm just getting sick of this thing. And to top that off, when I went to put coolant in the engine last night, water was leaking out from the front of the engine behind the T-belt! It's one thing after another with this POS!
Old 04-12-2020, 12:01 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black51
Is there anyone with VEMS that has NEVER gotten the engine to fire at all, or am I the only one?? Seems like my config is completely wrong, even though I sent my unit to Peep for inspection last year. Something is wrong.

From what I understand, if the engine states flag says "running off", the engine is disabled. I had that before I sent my unit to Peep, and it still says that now. After reading up on that condition, it sounds like it needs a firmware update. Tried that before, and nothing changed. I did have to pay for 'servicing' this unit, and apparently something was updated. But to me I'm not convinced anything was done. Not trying to drag his name through the mud here, but Peep, if you're out there, I need some answers. The information on the VEMS site to me is spotty at best. At this point, I'm at a loss for what to do. Peep seems harder and harder to get a hold of for support these days. Can anyone actually help or or should I just throw this thing in the garbage?... So much for 'plug-n-play'...

Uggghhh after ~4 years of trying to get this non-running car working, I'm just getting sick of this thing. And to top that off, when I went to put coolant in the engine last night, water was leaking out from the front of the engine behind the T-belt! It's one thing after another with this POS!
Since you messaged me regarding wasted spark, have you wired in already? I did a test and move my ignitions pins from 36/34 to 33/55 and changed configuration in VEMS and it would not start. SO it should be wired to 36/34. Is it throwing any errors or flags?
Old 04-12-2020, 02:23 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Black51
did the car work before the vems install?

My car didn't not start at first. Had to switch 34/36 outputs for wasted spark and my config was set for low impedance injectors but i was using high impedance.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:54 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DLS
Black51
did the car work before the vems install?

My car didn't not start at first. Had to switch 34/36 outputs for wasted spark and my config was set for low impedance injectors but i was using high impedance.
Yes it ran using Rogue ECU, albeit not very well. That's part of the reason I switched to VEMS. The car ran great though with the stock DME.

I believe my ignition wires run to pins 34/36, but I will double check. Where do you set the config for impedance?

Has anyone seen that "running off" flag near the top of the page in the middle? How do I change that??

Old 04-12-2020, 03:58 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Since you messaged me regarding wasted spark, have you wired in already? I did a test and move my ignitions pins from 36/34 to 33/55 and changed configuration in VEMS and it would not start. SO it should be wired to 36/34. Is it throwing any errors or flags?
Yes it's wired. I was cranking the engine today. Got nothing. The tach needle was kind of flying all over the place though while cranking. Sanity check showed no errors.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:01 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it ran using Rogue ECU, albeit not very well. That's part of the reason I switched to VEMS. The car ran great though with the stock DME.

I believe my ignition wires run to pins 34/36, but I will double check. Where do you set the config for impedance?

Has anyone seen that "running off" flag near the top of the page in the middle? How do I change that??
https://vems.hu/vt/help/v3/flags/isr...rcranking.html

Have you checked that your Speed and reference sensor are wired correct and not switched?
​​​​​​
For impedance
Look at post #279 from peep.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...l#post15399824
The following users liked this post:
Droops83 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:34 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Yes it's wired. I was cranking the engine today. Got nothing. The tach needle was kind of flying all over the place though while cranking. Sanity check showed no errors.
In VEMS Tune goto Tools>Record Trigger and crank the engine while recording a trigger log. To be sure your speed/reference sensors are being seen by VEMS ECU
Old 04-12-2020, 08:34 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shortyboy
In VEMS Tune goto Tools>Record Trigger and crank the engine while recording a trigger log. To be sure your speed/reference sensors are being seen by VEMS ECU
That right there is likely the problem. I'm running a hall sensor on the front of the engine now btw. I've never seen a sensor signal with either the hall sensor or the stock sensors when they were still in the car last year. Just a flat line. I've told Peep this, but never really heard any info on how to correct this.

Question... When the key is in the 'ignition on' position, should that engine state flag still say "running off"? Is it only when the engine is cranking or running that it should be in a different state ("cranking/running on")?
Old 04-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

That's what I see now with the ignition on. Nothing. So clearly VEMS is not seeing a trigger. Is this a wiring issue, or do I need to change a setting to get it to 'see' the hall sensor?
Old 04-12-2020, 11:53 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

For verification to anyone using a hall sensor, what pin did you run the output signal wire from the sensor to on the harness? IIRC, mine is wired to pin 8 on the DME harness. I wired it to that one because looking at the pin 8 wire on the DME harness side of the VEMS harness, it goes to pin 27 on the EC36 side. That's the 'primary trigger' pin. Is this correct? Basically, I cut off a connector from an old VR sensor and wired in the hall sensor to it. The power is coming from the cycling valve connector under the intake. Perhaps I'll make a little test wire to make sure it's still getting power there. A pull up resistor is installed between the signal wire and power wire as well. The hall sensor connector is plugged into the existing speed sensor connector that goes to the DME harness.

I see there is also a wire going to the 'secondary trigger' pin on the EC36 side, but I'm only running 1 sensor now. Does this sensor need to act as 2 sensors, so-to-speak?
Old 04-13-2020, 12:06 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

That right there is likely the problem. I'm running a hall sensor on the front of the engine now btw. I've never seen a sensor signal with either the hall sensor or the stock sensors when they were still in the car last year. Just a flat line. I've told Peep this, but never really heard any info on how to correct this.

Question... When the key is in the 'ignition on' position, should that engine state flag still say "running off"? Is it only when the engine is cranking or running that it should be in a different state ("cranking/running on")?
I just confirmed your question. It ON position it will say running off, when cranking and when it starts its changes to running on.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:10 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Ive attached my config for anyone who wants to see my settings. Have not been to the dyno yet. So it is mostly auto tune.
Attached Files
Old 04-13-2020, 01:46 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

You say this is a Hall sensor . . . if so, a Hall sensor needs a +5V reference signal (Hall sensor has 3 wires); check the VEMS wire-in installation guide (scroll to the bottom of page 8/top of page 9):

http://downloads.vems.com/documentat...etupmanual.pdf

Stock 944 uses a VR sensor, which has 2 wires and only needs a signal and a ground (and a shielded ground, which should be provided by the factory 944 wiring harness). In either case, the engine states flag will show "running off" unless the engine is cranking AND a crank sensor signal is generated. You need to double-check your wiring, and don't forget the ground side, either style of sensor uses the same (sensors ground on the bellhousing)

Also, if your front-mounted crank sensor uses a missing tooth as a reference mark, this needs to be configured in the VEMS software as in any other engine management system. Have you watched this video?

Old 04-13-2020, 06:31 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
You say this is a Hall sensor . . . if so, a Hall sensor needs a +5V reference signal (Hall sensor has 3 wires); check the VEMS wire-in installation guide (scroll to the bottom of page 8/top of page 9):

http://downloads.vems.com/documentat...etupmanual.pdf

Stock 944 uses a VR sensor, which has 2 wires and only needs a signal and a ground (and a shielded ground, which should be provided by the factory 944 wiring harness). In either case, the engine states flag will show "running off" unless the engine is cranking AND a crank sensor signal is generated. You need to double-check your wiring, and don't forget the ground side, either style of sensor uses the same (sensors ground on the bellhousing)

Also, if your front-mounted crank sensor uses a missing tooth as a reference mark, this needs to be configured in the VEMS software as in any other engine management system. Have you watched this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLSI-62aIYc
In addition to what Chris stated above, I believe you need to do a modification inside the VEMS ECU. At least from what Ive read online while searching for crank trigger info a while back. You will need to install a resistor on the board. See here http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...riggerHardWare I would also wait for Peeps advise. From what I know all the PnP kits he offers is for VR triggers.

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install