Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 VEMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:34 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
If you have a chance, could you measure voltage drop on DME pins 18 and 35. DME 18 goes to Vems ECU 25. I measured voltage drop to 10.8V during cranking with hi torque starter and quest alternator combo. This is with a new battery fully charged at 12.8V. Beginning to suspect, vems ecu is very sensitive with voltage drop which is causing trigger syncing issues with timing, causing startup problems. I'm starting to get it every now and then again. Investigating if it's starter and / or alternator related. I've noticed on good starts, tachometer will Rev to 1200rpm or more. Where as a bad start will be below 1k rpm. It's either the starter is faulty causing a big voltage drop causing vems to be confused. Or voltage drop related to starter/alternator combo. So far I've tried to put an amplifier battery capacitor with ecu but it did not correct issue. Will try a seperate battery ( is this even ok to do?) and report back. Also suspect that my starter/alternator could be faulty as I bought them used with an Ice Shark battery cable here on the list many years ago. So if you have this starter/alternator combo without issues, I would like to know. Much Appreciated. - Wayne
I rarely advocate parts-swapping, but because the starter is one of the few easy components to swap out in the 951, why not find a good used stock 944 starter and swap it in to see if things change?

At my shop, we often replace 996/997 and early Cayenne starters for excessive current draw (and hence voltage drop), but this generally results in noticeably slow cranking while starting, even with a fresh and fully charged battery. If you can find a shop with a Snap-On VAT40 or equivalent battery/starter system tester with high-voltage amp clamp, this can be easily tested by clamping around one of the battery cables and observing current draw while cranking. To be honest, I have not done this test on a 944 engine, but the engines/starters mentioned above draw about 250 amps while cranking with a good starter, and 400+ with a worn starter. Note that if a voltage drop due to a bad connection/high resistance is the problem, the starter will actually draw LESS current (Ohm's law).
Old 09-27-2019, 03:56 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
I rarely advocate parts-swapping, but because the starter is one of the few easy components to swap out in the 951, why not find a good used stock 944 starter and swap it in to see if things change?

At my shop, we often replace 996/997 and early Cayenne starters for excessive current draw (and hence voltage drop), but this generally results in noticeably slow cranking while starting, even with a fresh and fully charged battery. If you can find a shop with a Snap-On VAT40 or equivalent battery/starter system tester with high-voltage amp clamp, this can be easily tested by clamping around one of the battery cables and observing current draw while cranking. To be honest, I have not done this test on a 944 engine, but the engines/starters mentioned above draw about 250 amps while cranking with a good starter, and 400+ with a worn starter. Note that if a voltage drop due to a bad connection/high resistance is the problem, the starter will actually draw LESS current (Ohm's law).
I would like to find a good used unit to swap in but used 944 parts in Hawaii is very scarce. I would like to buy a used one off of ebay, but a used one costs as much as a rebuilt, add shipping itll cost as much as the IMI hi torque start, since they offer free shipping, lol go figure. Ill remove the starter and go have it tested at a shop, maybe Oreilys or Autozone might have a tester. Ill test the battery and starter cables again, they look new when I installed them, but I can test resistance and voltage drops. BTW, according to the IMI, their hi torque starter supposed to draw less amperage than a factory starter would, which is why I suspect it being faulty.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black51
Speaking of configs... I am having an issue trying to start my car. When I open VEMS it says it is in 'safe mode' and won't start. I realize I am supposed to upload a config to get it out of 'safe mode', but when I try it, nothing changes. I'm stumped. Any help?
Check post #229 onward. Someone similar had the same issue. Maybe your config is corrupt. I would contact peep to get a good known config and upload.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:58 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
I would like to find a good used unit to swap in but used 944 parts in Hawaii is very scarce. I would like to buy a used one off of ebay, but a used one costs as much as a rebuilt, add shipping itll cost as much as the IMI hi torque start, since they offer free shipping, lol go figure. Ill remove the starter and go have it tested at a shop, maybe Oreilys or Autozone might have a tester. Ill test the battery and starter cables again, they look new when I installed them, but I can test resistance and voltage drops. BTW, according to the IMI, their hi torque starter supposed to draw less amperage than a factory starter would, which is why I suspect it being faulty.
We test the starter current draw as installed in the car----need to find a large ammeter/amp clamp (Snap-On VAT40 is an example), clamp around a battery cable to measure starter current draw while cranking.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Question - Are you able to run your air conditioning with VEMs?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:36 PM
czentner
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapman951
Question - Are you able to run your air conditioning with VEMs?
Yes - DME does not control A/C, so it will turn on with VEMS. However you should run the compressor spower wire through a relay to send a ground to VEMS to up the RPM when A/C is on.

Like this image - I have run this by Peep and he says it is correct
Old 10-24-2019, 07:37 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by czentner

Yes - DME does not control A/C, so it will turn on with VEMS. However you should run the compressor spower wire through a relay to send a ground to VEMS to up the RPM when A/C is on.

Like this image - I have run this by Peep and he says it is correct

Once relay is wired up, what needs to be done in VEMS to up idle on signal ?
Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 AM
czentner
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Once relay is wired up, what needs to be done in VEMS to up idle on signal ?
Good question. I haven't gotten that far - I assume setup needs to be done in Idle AC control menu.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM
MXK
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Questions for those who have replaced the Bosch Motronic with the VEMS ECU.

1. Did you buy a generic VEMS unit from an authorized reseller and roll your own wire harness?

Or

2. Did you buy a vehicle specific “PnP” unit from Peep Päädam at Stuttcars.com?

a. If yes, what were the payment terms and lead-time to receive the equipment?

3. The VEMS supports three types of ignition

a. Traditional coil, cap and rotor

b. Wasted spark system

c. Coil over plug

My question is what are the pros and cons of option b and c?
Old 11-13-2019, 11:45 AM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought from Peep - I needed something that would work out of the box, and it did!

Payment terms were `wire transfer to bank in Estonia' - Generally I would NEVER do this, but Peep has a solid reputation.

Delivery took a bit longer than I hoped, but Peep was traveling at the time of my order.

I've previously read that wasted spark is mostly beneficial for engines with more than 4 cylinders, so I'm curious what others here think. I would l like to upgrade from the stock 944 ignition system...

Originally Posted by MXK

1. Did you buy a generic VEMS unit from an authorized reseller and roll your own wire harness?

Or

b. Wasted spark system

c. Coil over plug

Old 11-13-2019, 12:35 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MXK

Or

b. Wasted spark system

c. Coil over plug

I believe all of us here bought it PnP from Peep. Money was transferred via TransferWise website ( similar to PayPal ). Time to order, assemble and ship to Hawaii took 1 month. My repair took 2 months. If you go traditional cap and rotor, you are able to use stock ignition if you already have a good system. Wasted spark, there is some wiring to do and mounting of wasted spark coil but in return you get the most reliable spark ( best for high boost/rpm conditions ). Coil on Plug, from what I know is not compatible with 8V heads as there is no good way to secure COP coils. Though Im exploring options at the moment as I am trying to keep engine bay clean and will attempt to perform a wire tuck.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:48 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also in Hawaii and contacted Peep through FB. His reputation is solid and I did the TransferWise too. I have wasted spark too (Peeps add-on option). No cap, no rotor....more dependable and modern tech and parts replace mechanical. All good.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:07 AM
chrsvo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking for help to get my car running at low temperatures -

It's running fine when warm, idle is stable.
It was always starting with the old DME, regardless of weather.
However right now, it dies right after cranking.

Logical thing to do is to raise enrichment, right? I did that, cranking, afterstart, warmup - all raised in various combinations, no difference.

I suspect the IAC is the culprit, since the car is running rich enough (lambda goes down to 0.65 before dying) but makes no effort to raise RPM and will stay running if I touch the throttle lightly, raising RPM to ~1100-1200.

Can you share screenshots of your idle / IAC settings? I've got the 3-wire IAC and I'm not sure how to configure channels, the ref curve etc.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:31 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

have you checked that the fuelpump relay stays in ? It triggers on the starter RPM.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:24 AM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chrsvo
I'm looking for help to get my car running at low temperatures -

It's running fine when warm, idle is stable.
It was always starting with the old DME, regardless of weather.
However right now, it dies right after cranking.

Logical thing to do is to raise enrichment, right? I did that, cranking, afterstart, warmup - all raised in various combinations, no difference.

I suspect the IAC is the culprit, since the car is running rich enough (lambda goes down to 0.65 before dying) but makes no effort to raise RPM and will stay running if I touch the throttle lightly, raising RPM to ~1100-1200.

Can you share screenshots of your idle / IAC settings? I've got the 3-wire IAC and I'm not sure how to configure channels, the ref curve etc.
Here -->https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...58.vemscfg.zip I shared my VEMS NA config-file. Did you try these settings? I had to tune the low temperature settings as well. So you could look it up there or load the settings/config in your VEMS ECU.

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install