Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my 3L dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 04:09 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Just went back and read the thread on FB. Wow. I'd say that your relationship with Albert being seriously damaged is a massive understatement.

I also agree with a few posts on that FB thread where they say it will make much more power with more boost but they don't feel comfortable doing that just for a dyno run and it's up to you to do that.

Now this is important. Don't do that! Don't get the car home then crank up the boost! Don't even take it to another dyno. Definitely don't let another tuner touch the mapping.

Drive the car as is for several thousand miles first. Do not add another other parts, do not make any changes. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:11 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Just went back and read the thread on FB. Wow. I'd say that your relationship with Albert being seriously damaged is a massive understatement.

I also agree with a few posts on that FB thread where they say it will make much more power with more boost but they don't feel comfortable doing that just for a dyno run and it's up to you to do that.

Now this is important. Don't do that! Don't get the car home then crank up the boost! Don't even take it to another dyno. Definitely don't let another tuner touch the mapping.

Drive the car as is for several thousand miles first. Do not add another other parts, do not make any changes. Just drive it and enjoy it.
I have many personal messages to also show how thy speaks to me .. Yes I am a bit rude to them now .. Only because the way they treated me since they had my car . But yes my plan is to keep it how it is to make sure all is ok get a few thousand miles on her and enjoy it ... Not like Albert will warranty anything anyways !
Old 12-11-2015, 04:30 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
The 968 turbo rs has about the same power that you have and they use a stock 2.7 head.
Where are you getting all this information from? You are incorrect on both counts.
A 968 turbo RS made 335hp "restricted" by rules. Also, they used unique heads, not NA 2.7 heads.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Wow...
Old 12-11-2015, 06:14 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Where are you getting all this information from? You are incorrect on both counts.
A 968 turbo RS made 335hp "restricted" by rules. Also, they used unique heads, not NA 2.7 heads.
God's word right there
Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Where is the fb thread?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:50 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

According to the internet at least 3 have since been derestricted and now have a much higher output.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:57 PM
George D
Drifting

The 968 Turbo head wasn't a modified water jacket 2.5 - nor a NA 2.7. These heads were ceramic lined, and built towards mandated racing rules. I've seen the 968 Turbo head next to a stock 2.7. Have a picture somewhere. Could have installed the 968 8V turbo head, but the exhaust and intake valves were much smaller than the NA 2.7, and my hp goals mandated the NA 2.7. The exhaust valves are stock 951 (40mm) and the intake valves are 52mm with a slight port polish job. Nothing like a 5K 2.5 head, but flows as well. The 968 16v heads flow better - but I've driven a few 16v 951's, and the onset of tq is up the RPM dial - exception is from Duke's videos - killer motors from this talented man, but understand these builds are unique.

Your dyno results depends on whether the unit was inertia or loaded. http://imageftp.dynojet.com/CMD/Trut...Runs_Final.pdf

Point - most tuners use loading type dyno's. These allow constant speed - up or down - WITHOUT USING BRAKES - to allow tuning during consistent RPM, load, wot, etc. These "heart breaker" dyno's typically show as much as a 20% difference in measured wheel tq - converted to hp.

My 951 measures over 550 (rounding) whp on a wot dynojet vs around 465 on a Mustang type tuning dyno. Don't really care - car's nuts fun.

Drive it for a while, have some fun. Sorry it's almost winter in your part of the US.

G
Old 12-11-2015, 08:08 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Voith
Where is the fb thread?
Under his parts group form 951 944 968 parts
Comments are under the video of my blue car in dyno
Old 12-11-2015, 08:09 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrown
What do u think will happen if I put my stock intake back on wonder if I'll loose a lot of power ?
If I were you in your position, I would ask Albert how it would perform differently with the stock intake. A general guess is that you might expect something along the lines of a power curve shifted to the left, and a lower top end. The important thing though is that the tune should be tweaked to whatever intake it's running, so you can't experiment with that unless Albert tunes it to that.

I don't know what ECU he's using, but if he can provide you with multiple maps that you can select from, and is willing to give you a separate set of maps tuned to the factory intake (more dyno work for him, more time until you get the car back), then at least you would have the option of setting up the car for either one depending on what you were doing.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well if the 968 turbo was at 20 psi it would see the same power but it runs 1 bar of boost so it's at 335 or 350hp. And I thought it was a 2.7 head used. I have yet to see any prof otherwise beside people saying its a 951 head that's modified. Since there's only four 968 turbo rs engines made its not easy for me to find the owners and ask them to look at the PN on their 968 turbo rs cylinder head. The engine biuld sheets I have seen on the web only states it's "similar" to the turbo head. As I see it the 2.7 cylinder head is "similar" so I guess that's how I came to that conclusion. And it fits the big block as if it was disigned to be the turbo head to be used on the big block. There is absolutely NO information on the web for a part number for the 968 turbo rs cylinder head. All the information states it's similar eveywhere I've looked on the web. Perhaps you could provide the 968 turbo rs engine biuld sheet and the PN on the head. I would like to know and so would others. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

968t head had totally different valves, extra cooling channel between valves and smaller ceramic lined exhaust ports.

Not similar. Search, there is a relatively recent thread here with detailed pictures.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:33 PM
George D
Drifting

The valve measurements are from the current "lightly machined" 2.7 NA head running a stock 968 NA hydraulic cam. The SFR intake was internally modified based on flow bench readings. Externally looks same - changed the internal runner length, etc. The TB is from a 928 - much larger than a stock 951 TB.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:40 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Well if the 968 turbo was at 20 psi it would see the same power but it runs 1 bar of boost so it's at 335 or 350hp. And I thought it was a 2.7 head used. I have yet to see any prof otherwise beside people saying its a 951 head that's modified. Since there's only four 968 turbo rs engines made its not easy for me to find the owners and ask them to look at the PN on their 968 turbo rs cylinder head. The engine biuld sheets I have seen on the web only states it's "similar" to the turbo head. As I see it the 2.7 cylinder head is "similar" so I guess that's how I came to that conclusion. And it fits the big block as if it was disigned to be the turbo head to be used on the big block. There is absolutely NO information on the web for a part number for the 968 turbo rs cylinder head. All the information states it's similar eveywhere I've looked on the web. Perhaps you could provide the 968 turbo rs engine biuld sheet and the PN on the head. I would like to know and so would others. Thanks.
The factory 968 Turbo and RS ran different boost levels - not enough to really matter. 1 bar is what you'll find using Google. Link: http://968turbo.homestead.com/

All 944 - 951 - 968 heads are similar.

G
Old 12-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
The 968 Turbo head wasn't a modified water jacket 2.5 - nor a NA 2.7. These heads were ceramic lined, and built towards mandated racing rules. I've seen the 968 Turbo head next to a stock 2.7. Have a picture somewhere. Could have installed the 968 8V turbo head, but the exhaust and intake valves were much smaller than the NA 2.7, and my hp goals mandated the NA 2.7.

G
Please see if you can find that photo. Please understand everyone I just would like to to see it myself. Not that I dought George's word, or others. But George D has a lot more knowledge in regards to his build and what he was choosing to do. And he provides way more information then others have or the web has offered in regards to the description of the 968 turbo head. Well he was the only one till I posted now the descriptions are coming out.
And another question just for George, did you use white lightning ceramic coating in the 2.7 heads exhaust ports and cumbustion chamber? Thanks you for your time.

Adding edit: I'll look for that thread Voith, thank you for all the information everyone!

Quick Reply: my 3L dyno