Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gt3582 install

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
To close the loop on this story spent all last weekend at the track the slip joint performed flawlessly zero leakage no issues

the issue I did have was because the old turbo was passing so much oil the silicone couplers on the hard pipe between the turbo and intercooler had become oil soaked and I was blowing the pipe off all weekend that really put a damper on my whole weekend

So all in all the GT Turbo upgrade although it was very expensive it's worth the money
Congrats!

As for the boost pipes, couplers and clamps are not an ideal way to keep pipes together under high pressure. I'm sure that's why Porsche put that metal strap around the I/C pipe by the filter box, so that the pipe could not get pushed backward and come out of the I/C coupler. I ended up making a make-shift boost brace to hold that pipe in place under heavy boost, and it works better than all the t-bolt clamps in the world... Vibrant makes a pretty version too (pic below), though my plan is to eventually make my own nice-looking ones or just use Wiggins clamps wherever possible...

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/adwicl.html
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2015, 05:28 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
How about cleaning out the soiled coupler and hose with a spray of brake cleaner?

Congrats for all the hard work. A detail that I like with these turbos is that they keep spinning for a short while after shutting the engine down.
Yeah I went through two cans of brake cleaner at the track silicone hose seems to go slimy once it comes in contact with gas or oil basically my whole weekend at the track was a wash
Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well guess it's time to bump my own thread

I was at the track last month. I installed new intercooler couplings to prevent the blow off situation.

I get to the track Sunday morning it had been raining the night before the tracks inspected by the promoter everything looks good. We're the first session on track at 8 a.m. I go out I do a lap taking it easy looking for wet spots making sure everything's good warming up the tires. They have a standing yellow going but I figure I've seen the track the track is perfectly dry no wet spots anywhere so I start dialing it up.

Man the car is a rocket it's never been this good I'm thinking to myself holy cow is it the new turbo is it the cool moist air I don't know but the car is rocking.I'm coming off some of the slower corners and I have to feather the throttle to keep from spinning the wheels

I get about five laps into it and I come into the fastest corner on the track turn 8 entering at about a buck 20 and the car goes totally sideways holy crap. I catch it and then it goes sideways again going into this yaw yaw yaw well the track exit is the next corner turn 9.

I'm like holy crap I pull up go through the pits car seems to be running kind of funny 3 cylinders I'm thinking okay what now did I blow a intercooler hose?

I get back to the pit and I'm wheeling around and I see Steam cloud...

crap not just a steam Cloud I'm setting up my own ecosystem

Long story short I get the head off the fire ring on number 4 is split so when I get time it's going back together with a cometic MLS gasket

Quick Reply: Gt3582 install