Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

going rate for running engines? (lSX thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default going rate for running engines? (lSX thoughts)

its not to often you see a complete engine, turbo, harness, everything. so im thinking about selling mine whole.

The reason I ask is a guy in my unit just totaled his pontiac g8 and doesnt have insurance. So I can get a sub 50k 6.0ls engine and harness for 2k I pull myself.

This is extremely tempting offer for an all aluminum 6.0 that i know runs
Old 04-03-2016, 02:08 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

2k is just a fraction of the cost to install that engine into a 944/951. You should check into the total cost and what your willing to spend before making that choice.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pay a cent over $2000 for a running, low miles 951 engine complete with turbo and all accessories. NFW.

Re: LS project costs...they are all over the place...I have seen ones that cost $5k installed, and one that has cost the guy $50k and I'd call it "3/4 done".
Old 04-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pay a cent over $2000 for a running, low miles 951 engine complete with turbo and all accessories. NFW.

Re: LS project costs...they are all over the place...I have seen ones that cost $5k installed, and one that has cost the guy $50k and I'd call it "3/4 done".

may be more beneficial for me to sell the rogue kit seperate and turbo seperate.. also a full stage 3 clutch with less than 5k on it.....

I would be doing all of the manual labor myself. installing and whatnot. I forsee the expenses piling up when it comes to buying the bellhousing conversion, headers to fit, manual rack conversion. ive started reading the swap threads here and seems after i spend the 2k on the engine and harness it would be another 3-4 more for the parts needed to acutuall put the LS in. which is ballpark not out of my league.

I am by no means 100% on this. but after a tune the g8 guys see 400+hp those particular ls are a 6.0 bottom with ls3 heads. factory detuned to 365hp.
its a very tempting idea considering the reliable power to be made from the LS family
Old 04-03-2016, 01:51 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Going to cost a minimum of $5k just for the necessary swap parts. Then labor, then fab, then other pets you really ought to get...
Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 PM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

I am no stranger to the ls engine I've put them in a 240sx and was part of a family swap Into a early 90s 3 series.. I have an uncle back in colorado who can flash the computer and unlock it. I have my own engine stand and hoist and enough basic wrenching skills to get the engine out and the ls in once I have everything. I'd spread this project out quite a ways if I do end up pulling the trigger.

I have the cash for the engine on hand but if I ended up selling the 2.5 and it's peices/parts I'd want to sell whole and get as much income for the rest of the project at once.
May need to contact Lart lol.

Quick Reply: going rate for running engines? (lSX thoughts)