Lindsey racing experience....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=adrial;11882797]Are you saying that someone could pick up the phone and give you a call to request USPS shipping for their small items?

Absolutely! Just talk with Traci. She is very versed in using USPS. We use UPS
by default on all domestic. USPS when asked to. USPS when we are sending out a follow up small item not shipped with the main order and we are eating the shipping. We use USPS when we need it there in 2 days inexpensively and/or on a Saturday. USPS Priority now is running up to 4 days on priority due to holiday traffic.

We started using DHL on International about three years ago once they approached us and showed us they could ship things for about 1/2 what UPS charges. We almost never use UPS on International. On our International order form, if a customer asks us for a quote, as about half do, they get DHL and USPS quotes, not UPS. DHL is usually best for those.

UPS gives discounts to shippers just like trucking companies give rate discounts. UPS gave us about a 50% discount on International providing our numbers met their designated minimum on our contract with them. That meant we got up to 50% off our International bill every week which was a nice little amount in the end. Many companies don't extend that discount to the customer and neither did we all the time. We would in some situations. Normally we just felt
guilty asking them to pay that much and passed it along. That's a hidden profit center. I think we get 5% on ground. So we did make half a dollar on this character.

DHL charges literally half the price. But they offer no discounts. We use DHL anyway. We forgave our discount (rebate if you like) in order to save the customer money with the hope to increase overall sales on deals that would of otherwise fallen apart due to high shipping costs. Especially to countries like Norway, South America, South Africa Australia and New Zealand.

We don't use FedEx for a number of reasons. Main they can't get their act together with their sales people. Their right hand doesn't know what their left hand is doing. Not sure how they are in business to be honest. Second, they have a pick up for ground, a pick up for air, and I think a third pick up for home delivery or maybe it's something else. And not any of them at the same time of day. It would be chaos trying to use them. UPS at 4:55 for everything is perfect.

And we use freight companies for engines and sometimes sets of wheels.

So we actually use many resources and some work out better then others for certain situations. Most customers don't give this any thought and they shouldn't have to. They just want the parts they ordered complete and quick and shipped at a fair price and that's it. We try to do all those things.

We had a recent situation where the mail man was steeling packages from his pickups. Us being one of them. Customer never got the order. No tracking because it was Priority. They did pay the claim, but it took 3 months and a headache worth or crap along the way. Customer wasn't happy, although it wasn't us to blame. Haven't had that problem with UPS.... yet.

If we start having to use USPS to much, we will likely have to add in a handling charge of some sort to pay for the extra time it can take.

This is our final response in this thread. We have spent way to much time on this. It's not the $5, it's the permanent record of his statements that do damage. We felt obligated to make sure anybody taking the time to read
further then his claims would realize they were completely unfounded and we were the ones getting screwed here. But there will be some who won't and at a glance, think we screwed this guy.

That's what he threatened to do, tried to portray, and that's how it can look only reading the first post. They may never know we gave him EXACTLY what he ordered and followed his shipping order.

Considering adding a new entry to our FR.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year everybody.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 12-17-2014, 12:53 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Many who have been around for a long time have seen plenty of wrenches turn into vendors/tuners and then eventually end up going out of business for various reasons. Lindsey has been in this game a long time, when plenty have deserted these cars. Its a testament to their service, their products and their honesty.

Your recent post summarizes it in a nutshell:
Originally Posted by fiily
As the title states, anyone have a set a cheap bum can borrow in New Hampshire and return. I can break open the wallet also, I just don't want to spend $160 right now, holiday's coming up and all.

Let me know via here or a PM. I can give a deposit if needed.
Do yourself a favor, stop before you do any further damage to your image. I doubt many would step up to help you if you keep digging yourself a deeper hole.

Crying about $5 additional shipping charges? you are in the wrong game.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:03 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Mike Lindsey;11882973]
Originally Posted by adrial
Are you saying that someone could pick up the phone and give you a call to request USPS shipping for their small items?

Absolutely! Just talk with Traci. She is very versed in using USPS. We use UPS
by default on all domestic. USPS when asked to. USPS when we are sending out a follow up small item not shipped with the main order and we are eating the shipping. We use USPS when we need it there in 2 days inexpensively and/or on a Saturday. USPS Priority now is running up to 4 days on priority due to holiday traffic.

We started using DHL on International about three years ago once they approached us and showed us they could ship things for about 1/2 what UPS charges. We almost never use UPS on International. On our International order form, if a customer asks us for a quote, as about half do, they get DHL and USPS quotes, not UPS. DHL is usually best for those.

UPS gives discounts to shippers just like trucking companies give rate discounts. UPS gave us about a 50% discount on International providing our numbers met their designated minimum on our contract with them. That meant we got up to 50% off our International bill every week which was a nice little amount in the end. Many companies don't extend that discount to the customer and neither did we all the time. We would in some situations. Normally we just felt
guilty asking them to pay that much and passed it along. That's a hidden profit center. I think we get 5% on ground. So we did make half a dollar on this character.

DHL charges literally half the price. But they offer no discounts. We use DHL anyway. We forgave our discount (rebate if you like) in order to save the customer money with the hope to increase overall sales on deals that would of otherwise fallen apart due to high shipping costs. Especially to countries like Norway, South America, South Africa Australia and New Zealand.

We don't use FedEx for a number of reasons. Main they can't get their act together with their sales people. Their right hand doesn't know what their left hand is doing. Not sure how they are in business to be honest. Second, they have a pick up for ground, a pick up for air, and I think a third pick up for home delivery or maybe it's something else. And not any of them at the same time of day. It would be chaos trying to use them. UPS at 4:55 for everything is perfect.

And we use freight companies for engines and sometimes sets of wheels.

So we actually use many resources and some work out better then others for certain situations. Most customers don't give this any thought and they shouldn't have to. They just want the parts they ordered complete and quick and shipped at a fair price and that's it. We try to do all those things.

We had a recent situation where the mail man was steeling packages from his pickups. Us being one of them. Customer never got the order. No tracking because it was Priority. They did pay the claim, but it took 3 months and a headache worth or crap along the way. Customer wasn't happy, although it wasn't us to blame. Haven't had that problem with UPS.... yet.

If we start having to use USPS to much, we will likely have to add in a handling charge of some sort to pay for the extra time it can take.

This is our final response in this thread. We have spent way to much time on this. It's not the $5, it's the permanent record of his statements that do damage. We felt obligated to make sure anybody taking the time to read
further then his claims would realize they were completely unfounded and we were the ones getting screwed here. But there will be some who won't and at a glance, think we screwed this guy.

That's what he threatened to do, tried to portray, and that's how it can look only reading the first post. They may never know we gave him EXACTLY what he ordered and followed his shipping order.

Considering adding a new entry to our FR.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year everybody.
Mike/Dave,

Yes, the products you company sent were as I mentioned in the post, perfect.

Never did I threaten anybody, I portrayed the truth, which is shipping when done through USPS could have saved me and other consumers money. No where do you mention on the website to call-in and ask for USPS shipping at a reduced rate.

In my haste, I have kicked the hornets nest, but my point is still valid, over-payment of shipping when I showed people the proof of what other shipping companies charge.

I'm glad you have a following that feels passionate about your commitment to the porsche community.

I hope we both take away from this, an opportunity to understand each of our opinions and differences.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh yeah, to add, since you want to use rennlist as a resource and expect others here to help you, a good gesture would be to pony up for a membership.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Many who have been around for a long time have seen plenty of wrenches turn into vendors/tuners and then eventually end up going out of business for various reasons. Lindsey has been in this game a long time, when plenty have deserted these cars. Its a testament to their service, their products and their honesty.

Your recent post summarizes it in a nutshell:

Do yourself a favor, stop before you do any further damage to your image. I doubt many would step up to help you if you keep digging yourself a deeper hole.

Crying about $5 additional shipping charges? you are in the wrong game.

I have spent plenty of $$$ on my car, I support people outside of the retail market.

I have purchased items, from LART, Ian, Lindsey, Pelican, and other people outside of this forum.

What's wrong with saving my money? I work for my money just as you do.

So if I place 15 orders separately and get overcharged $5+ each time = $75 gone. Is that the price I should pay for owning a porsche? I don't think so.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Oh yeah, to add, since you want to use rennlist as a resource and expect others here to help you, a good gesture would be to pony up for a membership.
Read post #80, I do support them.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:47 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

So if I place 15 orders separately and get overcharged $5+ each time = $75 gone.
Just to be clear, you weren't overcharged by Lindsey Racing, you were charged the exact shipping you agreed to pay. Your personal belief is that the agreed rate charged was too high. You are welcome to your beliefs, but that doesn't make them fact.

Here's how overcharging works. You agree to pay $15 for item or service X. You check your credit card statement and you were in fact charged $20 for item or service X. You have been overcharged by $5. This is not what happened in your transaction with Lindsey Racing.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:07 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by chrenan
Just to be clear, you weren't overcharged by Lindsey Racing, you were charged the exact shipping you agreed to pay. Your personal belief is that the agreed rate charged was too high. You are welcome to your beliefs, but that doesn't make them fact.

Here's how overcharging works. You agree to pay $15 for item or service X. You check your credit card statement and you were in fact charged $20 for item or service X. You have been overcharged by $5. This is not what happened in your transaction with Lindsey Racing.
Your point is well taken.

If another cheaper shipping service is offered indirectly through calling, I would consider that an overcharge of shipping due to the reason that it is not offered on their website, but only to phone orders.

Other folks here, including myself, did not know that Lindsey would ship via USPS mail if you called them, so my point is, that would have saved me and others $$ on shipping charges if that was stated/offered on their webpage/checkout.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:28 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

If another cheaper shipping service is offered indirectly through calling, I would consider that an overcharge of shipping due to the reason that it is not offered on their website, but only to phone orders.
Again, this is your belief. Lindsey Racing is not just a web presence, they are a brick and mortar business as well, you can shop online, via phone or visit in person. Just because you didn't call to ask about USPS doesn't make it "an overcharge of shipping". They are entitled to run their business how they see fit.

Beating a dead horse won't bring it back to life.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:43 PM
fiily
Pro

Again, this is your belief. Lindsey Racing is not just a web presence, they are a brick and mortar business as well, you can shop online, via phone or visit in person. Just because you didn't call to ask about USPS doesn't make it "an overcharge of shipping". They are entitled to run their business how they see fit.

Beating a dead horse won't bring it back to life.
Belief, no..even LR states they ship USPS, if that option was available, this thread wouldn't have been created.

So, I am at fault for not knowing these other shipping options? If you offer a shipping service over the phone, how is that more efficient than an online order? Online shipping options would be a plus in my business?

I'm beating a dead horse indeed.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:51 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read post #80, I do support them.
You are using this forum to bash a very well respected vendor. The poster suggested you become a Rennlist member, which entails a modest fee paid annually.

And again, you completely fail to consider the time a vendor has to put in for efforts that disrupt normal operating procedures. You were not overcharged for shipping. Had they used USPS, they would be well beyond justified in tacking on a $10 or so handling fee. So the fact of the matter is that you were undercharged.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:00 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Belief, no..even LR states they ship USPS, if that option was available, this thread wouldn't have been created.
You BELIEVE the omission of USPS availability online constitutes a shipping overcharge. It does not. End of story. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but in this case your opinion is worthless.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I've never gotten the impression that they truly *intended* to make money or make up low margins via shipping.

Several times I've ordered from LR and selected the more expensive 2-day shipping option because I wanted something by the weekend. Each time, Traci has called me directly to tell me that I'm within range of 2-days for UPS Ground, and offered to switch me to the cheaper shipping charge.

Seems pretty good to me. *shrug*
Old 12-17-2014, 03:03 PM
fiily
Pro

So, I am at fault for not knowing these other shipping options? If you offer a shipping service over the phone, how is that more efficient than an online order? Online shipping options would be a plus in my business?

I'm beating a dead horse indeed.
Originally Posted by 67King
You are using this forum to bash a very well respected vendor. The poster suggested you become a Rennlist member, which entails a modest fee paid annually.

And again, you completely fail to consider the time a vendor has to put in for efforts that disrupt normal operating procedures. You were not overcharged for shipping. Had they used USPS, they would be well beyond justified in tacking on a $10 or so handling fee. So the fact of the matter is that you were undercharged.
If they are using this function (USPS) shipping via phone, how doesn't it disrupt normal operating procedures? I should get charged extra for a shipping option they offered over the phone due to the time spent on the phone, not online for online ordering.

I would think people calling in would get charged more, as this is an inefficient means of ordering.

USPS freely gives it's shipping boxes to clients, pickup items @ 9am daily and on Saturday, offers free tracking and insurance up to $50 for priority mail. So how do you justify your $10 handling fee, when that just saved you $$$ in time, labor and materials?

Your reasoning is unfounded.

So, if I pay the rennlist fee, does that justify my thread to rennlist members? No. That has no bearing on my OP.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:28 PM
fiily
Pro

You BELIEVE the omission of USPS availability online constitutes a shipping overcharge. It does not. End of story. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but in this case your opinion is worthless.
Yes I do believe that. When that same feature is offered via phone and they have the ability to use that function in their everyday business via online, there is a failure to disclose other shipping venues which constitute a shipping overcharge.

Quick Reply: Lindsey racing experience....