Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:31 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking to install an extra oil pressure gauge as I have and extra pod open and don't trust the stock gauge. I'm leaning towards an electrical one over mechanical but don't know much about what will work either with the stock sender or via a new sender, while keeping the stock setup intact. Thoughts?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:34 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Gauge setups, what's yours like?

Originally Posted by mahoney944
I'm looking to install an extra oil pressure gauge as I have and extra pod open and don't trust the stock gauge. I'm leaning towards an electrical one over mechanical but don't know much about what will work either with the stock sender or via a new sender, while keeping the stock setup intact. Thoughts?

mahoney- I am also thinking about other gauges as I am installing one for boost. Would be nice to have good visual on oil pressure/temp, water temp ect... But I hate the idea of over modifying the interior appearance.

Heck, maybe we should start a gauge thread: Here are a couple of guys who are thinking of jumping in to getting a good visual on engine parameters.

So..........Show us your gauge setup please, the more pics the better!!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:03 PM
rolkund
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a junkie...would love to see a Pressure Gaugesshow-off thread. In.

-Bulldog
Old 10-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I use a sandwich plate at the oil filter. Has locations for 4 sensors. I use one for pressure, adn one for temperature.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:32 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The nice thing about an analog gauge is that it is not electronic and you can trust what you see.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory sender is actually a good unit. Hook up a meter to it or a 0-5v gauge to it and see how accurate it reads.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:00 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sick with an electric. No need to pipe oil into the passenger compartment.

For almost everyone, getting the sandwich plate that goes under the oil filter is the best option for installing a second oil pressure sending unit.

If you have the block stripped bare and are doing some other fab work to it, there are some options to tap into the oil galleys to measure pressure there. But there is really little benefit to this other than simplicity or if the oil system has been drastically modified.

There have been a few threads showing gauge sets over the years. Here are a few:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...your-pics.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...e-request.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...t-steel-5.html
Old 10-08-2014, 08:31 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For those of you with an extra electric oil pressure gauge. How did you wire it up? Did you tap into the stock sender or install another one? Id like to have the stock one intact and be able to compare. Simplicity of the install is my goal as well. I'm not so much worried about where the gauge is mounted in the car, that's the easy part, but how its wired up under the hood
Old 10-08-2014, 10:05 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use the sender that comes with the gauge. The voltage curve has to match between the gauge and sending unit. There may be some gauges that are directly compatible with the stock sending unit, but I'm not aware of any.
Typically you need to run one or two wires to the sending unit, depending on whether the gauge has a dummy light or not. To keep things neat, you can put them in a common sleeve or buy cable that has two conductors.

You have two spots to get through the fire wall. The engine harness grommet or the chassis harness grommet.
The engine harness goes through the fire wall behind the head and cam box. The grommet has a large oval base and a convoluted rubber tube coming out of it (think elephant trunk). On the oval piece, around the elephant trunk there are flat areas where you can poke a hole and fish the wires through. If you're thinking of fishing the wires through the elephant trunk, you can stop right now. There is liberal application of epoxy inside of there, used to seal out engine bay fumes.
The chassis harness grommet is located on the fire wall, just below the fuse box. There are a few jacketed wire bundles going into it. I haven't tried, but you can probably get the sending wires through there too. Since I have not used this location, I also cannot speak to the accessibility on the interior side.

Once you have your wire(s) inside the cabin, the wire(s) can be neatly kept under the dash and run to gauge location. This is usually an A-pillar pod or under the radio. I have my extra gauges where the radio goes (radio delete) and tapped into the keyed, and lighting power from the radio wiring. Due to its accessibility, I think most people pull from this source regardless of the gauge location.

Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge