Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

gauge mount - steel :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:46 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Just wondering if anyone has had success doing a mount like this with an airbag wheel? I was going to remove the airbag wheel in favor of a aftermarket but am still undecided. I have a bunch of gauges i need to mount in the car and i do not want to go with an a-pillar pod as i really dislike the obstruction and how visible they are outside of the car. What i was going to do is mount an EGT and a digital combo water/oil temp gauge from SPA under the radio in the DIN slot and probably the boost controller ****. And i was hoping to mount the Innovate wideband display and a boost gauge on the steering column. Im not worried about fabricating a bracket, but wondering if its possible to do with the different airbag wheel and column switches.
Hey Tech Duck. I did a rough fit on a air bag car...... no issue. i did not actually mount it, or remove wheel to ensure the mount was not touching anything inside, but it slid over the column and appered that it would work and possibly install without wheel removal.

hmmmmmm - Now that I think about it the airbag Car it was tested was a race car and had an aftermarket non air bag wheel. Sorry, not much help after all
Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am thinking the same basic design will work, but i will have to space the gauges out a few inches farther. The airbag wheel has a pretty large rectangular back area, while the non airbag wheels just have a pretty slim cylindrical column. Im sure i can figure something out, especially since you have a very solid basic design which i can work off of. Anyway it should be an interesting couple of afternoons when i get to making one. I sense the dremel, arc welder and grinding wheel will get a fair amount of use. I can even raise them up a little possibly. Its going to be mostly playing around so they dont interfere with my hands i guess.

I was thinking also i can clip the wideband display to the dash vent by the trip reset button and put the boost gauge in a pod ontop of the dash.. but looks sorta tacky that way i guess. I just want it all to be relatively seamless.

Quick Reply: gauge mount - steel :)