Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

School me on stock wastegate operation, oddjob, CW, Sid etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:42 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
mate, we understand this. a wastegate has 1 job.
and yes it does make a difference. LOOK AT LARTS DYNO CHARTS and you will see a difference with a stock shimmed and a dualport!!
when i say it doesn make a difference, i mean from a testing point of view, not performance. a duel port has a much better control of the spring pressure then without.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:44 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
well at a best guess, there are many factors to look at, the old wastegates diaphram could have been leaking slightly where the new one was not. a valve could have been faulty not allowing full motion of the valve guide
These are the factors Louis and i where discussing. But someone didn't agree.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

when i say it doesn make a difference, i mean from a testing point of view, not performance. a duel port has a much better control of the spring pressure then without.
Clearly it does make a difference as you can see from the 2 dyno charts.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

and just pondering the thought of a shim vs dual port. a duel port changes the spring pressure without affecting the travel of the guide valve. where a shim would displace the distance of the shim, on a stock wastegate this means the wastegate cant open as far, meaning exhaust cant get out as well and would be directed through the turbo. this actually explains why you might see a difference from a stock shimmed wastegate to a dual port on the same setting getting different levels of boost.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Clearly it does make a difference as you can see from the 2 dyno charts.
a dyno chart is a performance check...we were discussion testing purposes of the wastgate for correct operation.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

and just pondering the thought of a shim vs dual port. a duel port changes the spring pressure without affecting the travel of the guide valve. where a shim would displace the distance of the shim, on a stock wastegate this means the wastegate cant open as far, meaning exhaust cant get out as well and would be directed throught the turbo.
Okay, lets agree that's case, but it happened to whole load of guys, lots of threads about this occurrence, conclusion the stock wastegate due to it's age is worn and bleeds boost true or false?.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

a dyno chart is a performance check...we were discussion testing purposes of the wastgate for correct operation.
It's also a form of data.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
Okay, lets agree that's case, but it happened to whole load of guys, lots of threads about this occurrence, conclusion the stock wastegate due to it's age is worn and bleeds boost true or false?.
+1
Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lart951
Unfortunately i dont think this is as simple as a true and false. I think each case will vary. its hard to predict with factors like age, rust, soot, broken down diaphrams, shimmed or not shimmed as well as external factory like exhaust flow, engine size, boost/vac leaks, and im sure i could write all day. I dont think the valve will open solely on exhaust pressure. because of the high to low gas exchange. like turbotommy said even if the valve were to crack open the pipe on the other side is low pressure and the pressure would equalize quickly, maybe creating a light pulse, but not enough to regulate boost from over spinning the turbo.

on a side note, from speaking with dave lindsey these springs dont really wear in their opinion, they just are not strong to begin with. this i cant confirm
Old 03-12-2014, 04:00 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Unfortunately i dont think this is as simple as a true and false. I think each case will vary. its hard to predict with factors like age, rust, soot, broken down diaphrams, shimmed or not shimmed as well as external factory like exhaust flow, engine size, boost/vac leaks, and im sure i could write all day. I dont think the valve will open solely on exhaust pressure. because of the high to low gas exchange. like turbotommy said even if the valve were to crack open the pipe on the other side is low pressure and the pressure would equalize quickly, maybe creating a light pulse, but not enough to regulate boost from over spinning the turbo.

on a side note, from speaking with dave lindsey these springs dont really wear in their opinion, they just are not strong to begin with. this i cant confirm
WRONG ANSWER, THREAD IS CLOSED

Last edited by lart951; 03-12-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Here's a log of a "weak spring" couldn't get over 12 psi
10psi at 3900 rpm

Here's a log of a good spring. 20 psi.
10psi @ 3750 rpm

The difference on the boost controller? there is none. both done on the same duty cycle of 50.

Oh will you look at that. There is a difference between a **** spring to a good one.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my question why are we arguing about stock wastegates?? Who uses stock wastegates? why not just upgrade to a tial and be done with it. You can make them do what ever you want.

BTW fellas why not just pull out the wastegate and test it with a hand pump. booom problem solved.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reno808
This is my question why are we arguing about stock wastegates?? Who uses stock wastegates? why not just upgrade to a tial and be done with it. You can make them do what ever you want.

BTW fellas why not just pull out the wastegate and test it with a hand pump. booom problem solved.
Racers (E/F stock, SP3) are not currently allowed to run aftermarket style wastegates, that is who uses stock wastegates. Am I happy about that? No, seems the 12PSI limit they set should be all that is necessary.

Hand pump testing won't tell teh full story, at least the way I understand it (and the disclaimer there is that I may be mistaken.......since being mistaken seems to be a cardinal sin around here wiht this subject ). The spring requires a force to overcome. The force is s result of pressure pushing on an area. WIth the stock wastegate, you get pressure from two areas, the valve itself, which may have a cross sectional area of a couple of square inches. Plus the exhaust pressure will be higher than the intake pressure. So let's say exhaust pressure is 20 PSI, you'll have 40 pounds of pressure acting on the valve from the exhaust side. Contrast that with the aftermarket, which will have 40 pounds trying to keep it closed.

On hte diaphragm side, you have a much larger area, maybe 10 square inches. If you are at 12PSI, you have 120 pounds of force trying to open the valve.

So on the stock style, you'll have 160 pounds of force, and on an aftermarket one, you'll have 80 pounds of force. Using a hand pump would give one a false impression of when it would open in both cases, I believe.

All that said, I SCANNED through 5 pages of this crap, and I honestly don't see nearly as much disagreement as those who are arguing. It is clear to me which wastegate is being considered, but they all seem to think their opponents are talking about the wrong one.

But Mahoney, the insults are completely and totally unnecessary. You are going to wind up getting put on ignore by a LOT of people if you keep it up. And not everyone you are ticking off falls into your tranche of "idiot."
Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Racers (E/F stock, SP3) are not currently allowed to run aftermarket style wastegates, that is who uses stock wastegates. Am I happy about that? No, seems the 12PSI limit they set should be all that is necessary.

Hand pump testing won't tell teh full story, at least the way I understand it (and the disclaimer there is that I may be mistaken.......since being mistaken seems to be a cardinal sin around here wiht this subject ). The spring requires a force to overcome. The force is s result of pressure pushing on an area. WIth the stock wastegate, you get pressure from two areas, the valve itself, which may have a cross sectional area of a couple of square inches. Plus the exhaust pressure will be higher than the intake pressure. So let's say exhaust pressure is 20 PSI, you'll have 40 pounds of pressure acting on the valve from the exhaust side. Contrast that with the aftermarket, which will have 40 pounds trying to keep it closed.

On hte diaphragm side, you have a much larger area, maybe 10 square inches. If you are at 12PSI, you have 120 pounds of force trying to open the valve.

So on the stock style, you'll have 160 pounds of force, and on an aftermarket one, you'll have 80 pounds of force. Using a hand pump would give one a false impression of when it would open in both cases, I believe.

All that said, I SCANNED through 5 pages of this crap, and I honestly don't see nearly as much disagreement as those who are arguing. It is clear to me which wastegate is being considered, but they all seem to think their opponents are talking about the wrong one.

But Mahoney, the insults are completely and totally unnecessary. You are going to wind up getting put on ignore by a LOT of people if you keep it up. And not everyone you are ticking off falls into your tranche of "idiot."
Lindsey racing sells an "upgrade" wastegate that is called clubsport or something like that if i am not mistaken.

The wastegate spring is the lowest amount of psi you can run. To test this you can hook it up to a air comp with a regulator with a gauge you let air in and you will see the valve will start to open at a given psi. their are few ways of controlling boost. When you use a manual boost controller you set the psi to what ever you want and the wastegate won't see any pressure until that level is reached. When boost level is reached, the valve will open and begin to bypass exhaust gas, preventing boost from increasing.

The issue we are dealing with is the 20+ year old system and many ppl messing with the system. Anything can change to the way the system behaves. for example if you have a not so good source line for the wastegate then your going to get crappy results. weak diaphragms weak valves will alter results. You ppl are not comparing apples to apples but apples to oranges.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by reno808

it all started here,

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ified-car.html

Quick Reply: School me on stock wastegate operation, oddjob, CW, Sid etc