Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

School me on stock wastegate operation, oddjob, CW, Sid etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spring rate is with no boost what so ever going to the wastegate diaphragm.
That means with the line connected directly you will get half the amount of boost.
What are you confused about.
That's why the cycling valve runs on a set duty cycle. If it was feeding boost directly to the wastegate, you will see at least half the amount of boost pressure. NOT WASTEGATE SPRING PRESSURE.

If you clam the line. not allowing boost to enter the wastegate. the backpressure will now force the valve to open allowing the turbo reach a certain boost level. As in the original thread. the OP was getting 15psi which is about right for his issue.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dude, chris already agreed with me you wrong give it up.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris White
In order to visualize how the stock wastegate works its important to know that it opens 'outward'. It does no act like an exhaust valve, the boost pressure is on the back side of the valve. All aftermarket wastegate open in the other direction - the boost pressure hits the face of the valve.
If you clamp, disconnect or get a good sized hole in the wastegate control line you will get as much boost as your turbo can produce.I believe the aftermarket wastegates are made this way so that they don't need a large diameter exhaust pipe (for valve clearance on the stock wastegate). The exhaust pipe on a Tial can be the same diameter as the valve head.
One small error on M944 post - the 38mm Tial can have many different valve springs inside it - if you run the boost control line unregulated the opening pressure of the wastegate will be dependent on the wastegate spring.
read what chris and i said jeez lol
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

The exhaust pressure in the crossover only aids the valve in opening because it opens in the same direction that the exhaust is trying to excape., it does not open the valve without boost pressure forcing on the diaphram.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:49 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't argue with city hall.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

some people you just cant get through. i told him what was correct. chris told him. yet he still thinks the wastegate will open with no boost pressure being sent to the wg. lol
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

you realise his not talking about a factory gate. but an aftermarket gate?

If you clamp, disconnect or get a good sized hole in the wastegate control line you will get as much boost as your turbo can produce.I believe the aftermarket wastegates are made this way so that they don't need a large diameter exhaust pipe (for valve clearance on the stock wastegate). The exhaust pipe on a Tial can be the same diameter as the valve head.
If the wastegate could stay closed during spool up, you think people wouldn't change to an aftermarket dual port gate?

See thread: Stock vs dualport gate.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...yno-chart.html
Old 03-12-2014, 01:58 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

dude reguardless of if your using a tial, LR, or stock if you pitch the feed line you WILL over boost the car. likewise if you send a direct line to the feed side of the wg it will boost at the spring rate.

btw, many racers utilize the stock or clubgate wastegate using mbc to choke the wg of air, raising boost, which holds the gate closed longer. Your arguing is relentless and a waste of everyones time. your wrong. people opt to upgrade wastegates because the stock one is 27 years old now, likely to fail
Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

First I am talking about a stock wastegate, second oveboost in a stock car with stock klr chip occurs around 12psi.
On a car with a mbc and aftermarket klr chip this setting is bypassed and boost is set directly by the mbc, the amount of boost you can run is defined by your chips setup.

Going back to the stock wastegate, is a fact that;

#1 the valve does not open against the exhaust back pressure
#2 back pressure which can reach as high or higher than 20psi will push the valve out allowing the wastegate to bleed boost

The stock wastegate spring resistance is about 11.5 psi

It’s a fact that stock wastegates start to bleed around 7 psi, this will not occur in a tial since the valve is designed to open against the back pressure.

Assuming that you are using a aftermarket chip and mbc and set your mbc to lets say 21psi, maybe a fresh low miles stock wastegate will probably reach 18-19 before the back pressure pushes the valve wide open, a tired stock WG will generate max 15-16 psi, but the turbo will be working much harder than a similar setup using a tial, you can see the effects of this wastegate anomaly in choppy dyno graphs.

Don’t confuse a boost spike, with sustained boost, by pinching the line yes it may show you 21psi momentarily that’s the mistake of idiots that pinch the line, when they see the spike and believe that the stock wastegate will hold 20psi to redline Nize used to think like that, but the reality is that the STOCK wastegate valve will be pushed open eventually by the back pressure.

Lets assume the following

I have chips mapped for 21psi
I have a stock wastegate and a mbc connected to the intercooler pipe
I pinch the line what I would see is a sudden spike OF BOOST but since my chips are mapped to 21psi I continue to press the gas, what I would see is a series of spikes but the stock wastegate will never hold 21 psi to redline, the back pressure will push the valve out.

The point that I was trying to make was in the thread where the guy pinched the line and he was seeing no more than 15psi, first he is not hitting any overboost because he has aftermarket chips, second his wastegate spring has taken a dump and the valve opens fully by 15psi, probably a very tired wastegate spring.

I done this 10 years ago is documented not only with graphs but videos on this forum, I am not the only one, many have done it, I don’t copy stuff from clarks and paste, I tell you from first hand experience.

You want to see the threads and graphs, dig it your self for a moment I thought you were nize he was not only banned by was an idiot of the first kind.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
First I am talking about a stock wastegate, second oveboost in a stock car with stock klr chip occurs around 12psi.
On a car with a mbc and aftermarket klr chip this setting is bypassed and boost is set directly by the mbc, the amount of boost you can run is defined by your chips setup.

Going back to the stock wastegate, is a fact that;

#1 the valve does not open against the exhaust back pressure
#2 back pressure which can reach as high or higher than 20psi will push the valve out allowing the wastegate to bleed boost

The stock wastegate spring resistance is about 11.5 psi

It’s a fact that stock wastegates start to bleed around 7 psi, this will not occur in a tial since the valve is designed to open against the back pressure.

Assuming that you are using a aftermarket chip and mbc and set your mbc to lets say 21psi, maybe a fresh low miles stock wastegate will probably reach 18-19 before the back pressure pushes the valve wide open, a tired stock WG will generate max 15-16 psi, but the turbo will be working much harder than a similar setup using a tial, you can see the effects of this wastegate anomaly in choppy dyno graphs.

Don’t confuse a boost spike, with sustained boost, by pinching the line yes it may show you 21psi momentarily that’s the mistake of idiots that pinch the line, when they see the spike and believe that the stock wastegate will hold 20psi to redline Nize used to think like that, but the reality is that the STOCK wastegate valve will be pushed open eventually by the back pressure.

Lets assume the following

I have chips mapped for 21psi
I have a stock wastegate and a mbc connected to the intercooler pipe
I pinch the line what I would see is a sudden spike OF BOOST but since my chips are mapped to 21psi I continue to press the gas, what I would see is a series of spikes but the stock wastegate will never hold 21 psi to redline, the back pressure will push the valve out.

The point that I was trying to make was in the thread where the guy pinched the line and he was seeing no more than 15psi, first he is not hitting any overboost because he has aftermarket chips, second his wastegate spring has taken a dump and the valve opens fully by 15psi, probably a very tired wastegate spring.

I done this 10 years ago is documented not only with graphs but videos on this forum, I am not the only one, many have done it, I don’t copy stuff from clarks and paste, I tell you from first hand experience.

You want to see the threads and graphs, dig it your self for a moment I thought you were nize he was not only banned by was an idiot of the first kind.
Brilliantly said.

I know i said it clear in the original thread. But if he doesn't understand this. Well. who knows.
Boost spiking and boosting are 2 different things.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

most after market chips completely remove boost protection not raise it.
if you clamp the feed line you will max out the turbo. period. unless your still running the factory chips then you will get the fuel cutt off and boost protection via the cycling valve

Ive personally tested these on the bench, in multiple cars. and chris even confirmed this, take it or leave it.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:15 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paulyy
you realise his not talking about a factory gate. but an aftermarket gate?

If the wastegate could stay closed during spool up, you think people wouldn't change to an aftermarket dual port gate?

See thread: Stock vs dualport gate.
this guy is not going to search he is using clarks reference for over boost over and over, here look at my car over boost, lol

more of my cars

tuning a k26-6 with ape chips and afpr and mbc
Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

and by the way Nize welcome back

my thread where i compared a shimmed wastegate to a 38mm tial

and your thread nize

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-graphs-3.html
Old 03-12-2014, 02:19 AM
F1nd3r05
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading this thread and the other one that I started I don't understand something. If clamping the line should make the turbo boost with zero control say to even 50psi (exaggerating) why is it that when i clamp mine i can floor it through the entire powerband and have it hit a maximum of only 15psi?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:20 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

its funny that you ask for a valued opinion, chris gives you one and you ignore it lol because he agreed with what ive said 20 times now

Quick Reply: School me on stock wastegate operation, oddjob, CW, Sid etc